San Diego Hotels

float'n fanatics

Yes, I would recommend two full days. While you can zip through the zoo in just a couple hours, to really see anything you should plan on 6 hours (with time for lunch). You could also walk through the rest of Balboa Park and take in a museum the same day. Plan on another day for Sea World, which could be combined with some time in Mission or Pacific Beach walking on the boardwalk or along the beach.

• 3 months later...
We will be driving to San Diego, staying overnight,

leaving our car for the 11 night cruise,

and staying several days when we return.

Are there reasonable hotels where we could safely leave

our car while we cruise?

The parking lot we have used before seems to

have disappeared.

We would welcome suggestions.

Thanks,

jo

The San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau's website has a special section under Features called San Diego Cruise-Friendly Hotels (if it's not one of the top 3 choices under Features on the home page click on the More button to find it). This lists hotels who offer parking to cruise passengers -- some charge some do not. I'm not sure if you have to make arrangements through this website to get the special or not, but you could always try calling the hotel directly.

We are looking for any insight into the San Diego area we can get. This is our first time in California. Is it safe to assume that the area across the street from the cruise terminals is a decent area? We are thinking our plans will go like this... we fly in on Friday' date=' rent a car, get a room at The Holiday Inn, (maybe). On Saturday we go to The San Diego Zoo (where both of us have wanted to go forever!). Then on Sunday, we take the rental car back and get a shuttle? to the cruise ship. We are thinking we may stay somewhere other than The Holiday Inn, because it's rather pricey. Any thoughts on a good place to stay without going to far inland? We still have plenty of time since our cruise isn't until January 2008, but for me, planning is half the fun![/i']

We were originally going to go on The Pride out of Long Beach, but decided on The Dawn Princess out of San Diego for several reasons.... the Zoo, we wanted to try a different cruise line, and San Diego looks easier to navigate than LA... yes?

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions?

Also looking for reasonably priced restaurants in the Harbor area.

Thanks! :D

I have seen posts by people who are probably MUCH more familiar with San Diego than I am. But, we spent 3-4 days there (and rented a car). We found a motel, (known name, but I can't remember it right now) reasonably priced; not in an especially "tourist" area.

We had already booked "Historic Tours" (which you can find by searching the Internet). The cost was $68.95 per person (in 2005). This included a 24 hour, unlimited "on and off" the trolley (bus). It took you all through San Diego (downtown, Old town, Coronado, Zoo, etc.), plus gave you coupons for dining at Seaside[?] Village, Old Town, and some coupons for gifts from Seaside[?] Village. (obviously, I have forgotten some of the names).

BUT, we also discovered that San Diego has a really good trolley/rail/bus system. We could have stayed in our "out of the way" motel, and used their trolley/rail/bus system and probably gotten to anywhere we wanted to go. (one line even goes down into Mexico).

Archived