Oh....the anguish!

jerry49

I have been on a few cruises and do track these boards whenever we book a new cruise. There is a lot of helpful info being shared here. There is also the never ending bickering,whining, carping and complaining about every aspect of cruising. The food, the coffee, the service, the dress code, the lack of enforcement, the nickle and diming, embarcation, debarcation (thats gettin on & gettin off), smoking, drinking, DECK CHAIRS, kids, seniors, contraband, ad nauseum.

Now, I don't want to go a typical pax rant here.....but I will.

It seems to me that most threads dealing with the above are an exercise in futility, because, lets face it, those who use and abuse, don't care and probably DON'T READ THESE BOARDS so they are not going to start making nice for our benefit.

Lets take them one at a time.

Dress Code... Dressing for meals was expected and stricly adhered to 40 or 50 years ago when the only people who went on pleasure cruises brought steamer trunks and never touched their luggage because the chauffer handled it. Seen anyone like this on a typical cruise ship lately? On my first cruise I wore a tux on formal night. Next few cruises it was a dark suit. Next cruise? Slacks and sport or dress shirt. Flying is the biggest obstacle to packing any more than absolutely necessary. So why fight a losing battle?

However for those who will , I say "good luck with that."

Deck Chairs...Too many people not enough chairs. Know this going in and don't feel slighted, you are part of the problem. Next cruise I'm going to sit around video taping people who watch empty deck chairs. What a vacation, huh?

Nickle and Diming - Hello...cruise lines have to make a profit or "no cruise for you." I never cease to wonder at those who cry over the cost of a cruise. Find an equally inexpensive, and all inclusive, 4 or 5 star hotel for the same length of time. Would I rather pay more up front? Probably, but increased fares would put many people off. If enough people are put off fares might be hiked back up to the good old days. Got chauffer?

Kids and Seniors - You know... the people different from us. What are they doing on our ship? Who is responsible for this outrage? Set em adrift and good ridance. Bet their little life boats would be more fun then a ship full of who or what is left.

Smoking and Drinking - I don't know quite what to say about smokers and excessive drinkers other than "Except for the grace of (fill in the blank) there go I." Hows that for some genuine PCness? Me and Borat. Actually being a former smoker I do know that we will stash, stuff, flick, or toss a cigarette butt anywhere to be rid of it. Consequences be dammed. Not cool on a ship.

But anyone who continues to smoke knowing what we all know about the damage cigarettes do to our body isn't likely to give a rat about the welfare of others. Booze is part of the experience and we just need to avoid and ignore the abusers. It isn't going away.

Food and Coffee - I have never had a complaint about the food on a cruise.

I have made the mistake of ordering something not to my taste but it does not mean the dish was substandard in any way. I will simply say that if you want Four Seasons dining, go to Four Seasons. Ofcourse if you are too cheap or can't really afford what you tell everyone you expected it will be the humiliating experience of dining on the ordinary with us commoners again. Coffee isn't the best but considering the volume they have to provide it is ok. I have never met any coffee drinkers on board who did not suck up their fair share.

Service - I have never run into or had to deal with a crew member who was unhelpful, rude, careless, surly, or indifferent. Wish I could say the same for pax. I would be willing to bet money that for every unacceptable attitude displayed , or level of service provided, by a crew member there is a jerk passenger who provoked the reaction. The garbage I have wittnessed passengers throwing at crew members is beyond belief. Yes some of them are drunks (thats now an acceptable excuse for anything) sort of like pleading insanity in court. But some of them (pax) obviously subscribe to the old "I paid good money for this cruise and if I want to abuse you to make myself feel really imortant I will" concept. Can you imagine the extent of the inferiority complexes out there.

Enforcement - I agree, they should to really nail those scoflaws to pacify my sense of propriety and satisfy my need for revenge. But don't let them know I was the one who ratted him, her, them out. No, no, you, unwashed little crew member, you do it for me. Now I'm a happy camper.

Contraband - Who cares. If there was any real issue the cruise line would stop it. These people who think they are fooling someone with their clever smuggling techniques are a joke.

Thats all.

Disneyland Pirates of the Caribean and Jungle Cruise. More than once.

Lake Tahoe Dinner Cruise

Peddle boats at Collins Lake

Catalina Ferry

Sausalito Ferry

Kayot party boat Starlight Cruise and Squawfish Derby

Some really big boats too.

Jerry- Don't you know that whining,complaining,entitlement and worrying about what everybody else is doing is the "American Way"? I too read some of these posts and just shake my head.

Very well said . I feel better now that you have gotten this off both of our chests.

WHERE IN THE H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS DO YOU GET OFF.........

Nope, sorry, thought i could be the one.;)

I totally agree. Why do we worry so much about how others behave? You hit the proverbial nail on the head with your observations. It's a VACATION people! Time to have fun, soak up some sun, have a drink or two (or three).

Thanks so much for putting "on paper" what I've been thinking as a read some of the posts. You can party with me anytime!

I totally agree with you. I think part of the adventure of a vacation is learning to roll with the punches. As long as I get on the ship and am on my way to a wonderful new destination I could handle just about anything that came along. Although it is really hard to be around constant complainers. RELAX PEOPLE AND ENJOY. IT'S A VACATION FOR HEAVENS SAKE. If you want to complain just stay home and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves. Sue

I whole-heartedly agree with you!! When I get on that ship, I am on VACATION baby! And, I'm bringing my happy face with me.

If I can't find a deck chair at the exact moment I desire one, I'll find something else to do for an hour or two...no problem. I'm going with the flow...remember, I am on VACATION baby!

Crew members...Wow, if only everyone one on the ship was as pleasant and accommodating...Imagine (John Lennon said it best).

The food...Good (fill in the diety of your choice)! If anything we should drop to our knees and thank (see above) that we have something to eat this day and everyday. Think about it. We are so priveleged to be able to TAKE a vacation of this caliber, let alone one that you can gorge yourself 24/7. Next time you feel compelled to complain that your beef wellington wasn't cooked to your liking, think about the millions who are starving to death. Shame on you!!

Super drinkers....who cares? I don't have to wake up with their hangover. I'll be up early to watch the sunrise and drink coffee that someone else made for me!

All of you Jerry49 supporters...hope to see YOU on my next cruise! All of you whiners and complainers....wouldn't want to be you...please just stay home and watch the Price Is Right.

BON Voyage.

Archived