Scuba Question

Dawgncal

We will be flying from California in January to sail on the Star Princess. In Cozumel I plan on taking a scuba excursion. I have all of my own equipment but would rather not drag it across country if I don't need to. What, if anything, of my own should I consider bringing with me? Thanks in advance.

Dawgncal,

I know you may not want to hear this but... bring it all except weights and tanks. I won't go as far as to say that rental gear is sub-standard but I always dive my own gear. I know I have the correct fit for mask, snorkel and fins. I know my own BC with regard to fit, condition and operation such as weight release if integrated and releases. My regulator is serviced annually and has only been in my mouth. Again sorry to disappoint on having to haul your own gear, just one persons opinion.

And even with tanks, I'd be very careful. I'd signed up with a reputable Cozumel outfit but at the last minute they put me in another company's boat. It wasn't till we reached the Palancar Reef that I noticed that one of the tanks they were providing for me had a slow leak and was at substandard pressure...

Thanks, I will bring it with me. Follow-up question; do I need a wetsuit or dive skin? If so, what mil?

The water temp in CZM ranges from 78/79 degrees in January-February to 84/85 degrees in August-September. In CZM I use a 2/3 mil shorty in the summer and a 3 mil full wetsuit in the winter.

Have fun!

We will be flying from California in January to sail on the Star Princess. In Cozumel I plan on taking a scuba excursion. I have all of my own equipment but would rather not drag it across country if I don't need to. What, if anything, of my own should I consider bringing with me? Thanks in advance.

My wife and I go diving at least twice each cruise and form our expiernces I would have to agree with CruiseKing. I feel much safer diving with my own equipment then with rental gear, I even bring my own weight belt with a stainless steel clasp (but not the weights of course). My wife once had an incidence with a plastic clasp on her weight belt, since then we only use the steel onces.

We will be on Star Princess during Thanksgiving and I have already cleaned, organized and packed all of our equipment.

Have a wonderful time on your curise!

My husband and I both lost out on dives in St. Lucia a couple of years ago because his rental regulator leaked...we had to surface when he was down to 500psi, and I still had close to 2000psi left. What a waste. Take it if you have it...I'll wear the same thing on every formal night and scrimp on shoes just to have my equipment with me.

BTW (speaking of weights)...I have soft weights for my weight integrated BCD. When I go for a purely diving vacation, I DO take them with me, wearing them on the plane in my husband's pouch style weight belt. I need my comfort! Also a good reminder of just how miserable an extra 15 pounds can make you feel. :eek:

My sons and I dive on our warm water cruises. Leave your weights and tank, take the rest. I prefer my regulator and computer so I know exactly what's going on. We even take full 3 mil wet suits. Shorties will probably work out just fine. I prefer the protection, you never know when a current could bump a shin into the coral.:cool:

Archived