Time Zone question

danerdoo

Our cruise docs state that our arrival time in Puerto Vallarta is 7:00 a.m.

Do these cruise docs state the arrival / departure times according to the local time?

In other words, even though we are departing from San Diego which is Pacific Time, will our arrival time be 7:00 a.m. in Puerto Vallarta, Central Time ? Or would local time be 5:00 a.m.?

Help me please...I'm confusing myself!

THANKS

Dana,

You will be on a cruise. Don't let the time screw with your head. I am all about time, so your dilemma is familiar to me!

Here's the thing, Mexico does not recognize the "spring ahead, fall behind" procedure! They are on standard time. So they are an hour ahead of us. In PV, they are another hour ahead. BUT, you always go by ship time. So if you are in PV from 7am until 10pm, that is ship time, not PV time.

Keep in mind, if you are on a shore excursion, they are on their time, so you will get back to the ship on time, no problema!

Each ship will handle the time differently, so you need to post which ship you are on. It can even vary between ships of the same cruise line. Here's a repeat from another thread. There are a whole bunch of these on this board, so look further down there for more info:

Just got off the Pride out of Long beach about 10 hours ago, we lost an hour of sleep going down to match up with Mazatlan and Cabo and got it back coming home or in my case another hour in the disco. Yes, we were an hour off in PV as they are on the equivalent of our Central Time (GM -6). Mazatlan and Cabo are on the equivalent of our Mountain Time. To make everything a little more confusing, what we call Mountain Time (GM -7) the people of Mexico call Pacific Time:eek: Most ships on this run don't change to match PV. It's really not worth it for them, considering you already have 2 time changes (Lose an hour of sleep going down, gain one coming back). Matching Puerto would mean 4 time changes. 4 changes per week would be hard to get everyone to remember and hell on the staff and crew. See my Capers and photos from the Pride at http://www.ronrythm.com/Carnival_Pride_06.html

Enjoy the trip and don't worry about the time

Ron

Thread this was taken from:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=282232

Cruise ships change their time to local times they are in.

Mexico uses daylight savings and standard times just like the states and they change at the same time as in the states.

Puerta Vallarta -- is in Central Time Zone--

Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas -- are in Mountain Time Zone

Mazatlan Mike

When we were on the Pride, we turned our clock forward one hour to match Cabo and Mazatlan time. Puerto Vallarta is one hour ahead of Cabo and Mazatlan time, so you just had to plan on adding an hour yourself (ship time didn't change!) If you are booking an excursion, add an hour to when you think you could make it. I.E. the Pride arrives at 9:00 and you want to book at 10:00 - book at 11:00 instead!

Once we left Cabo we turned our clocks back one hour that night.

Cruiselines may vary, so you may want to contact your cruiseline to verify how they handle the time change.

Trying to get my head around this......in PV if the ship (Pride) docks at

8 am then its 9 am local time? If my private excursion is 9.25 am will I be able to get off the ship intime? What is the average time it takes to get off if you arent doing a Carnival excursion?

Trying to get my head around this......in PV if the ship (Pride) docks at

8 am then its 9 am local time? If my private excursion is 9.25 am will I be able to get off the ship intime? What is the average time it takes to get off if you arent doing a Carnival excursion?

It didn't take us long to get off, but depending on what and where the excursion is, I would think that 9:25 would be pushing it (unless the excursion picks you up at the ship!) I wouldn't make ANY excursion that I had to get to myself any earlier than 10:00! De Los Veranos canopy (for instance) encourages an 11:00 time.

Trying to get my head around this......in PV if the ship (Pride) docks at 8 am then its 9 am local time? If my private excursion is 9.25 am will I be able to get off the ship intime? What is the average time it takes to get off if you arent doing a Carnival excursion?
Yes it's 9 PV time when you dock on the Pride. As you are not tendering, it's really easy to get off (most of the ships tours meet on the dock, so they don't have any priority leaving the ship,) but 9:25 is pushing it unless they are meeting you right at the dock. If the ship is delayed in any way you could have a problem. Since you're in PV until 10:00 p.m. ship time or 11:00 p.m. PV time, why rush it?

Enjoy

Ron

Thanks Lurky and Ron for your replies.

I didnt make the time to meet the excursion, the tour company did. I have to meet them outside the dock area so Im just a bit concerned about meeting them ontime. Surely they meet the Pride everyweek? Ill email them my concerns. They are a reputable company who advertise on this site.

Pauline (Fivefoot4)

Archived