Ocho Rios - What to do other than Dunn's River Falls

K8sMom

I am not physically able to climb the Falls. What would be a good alternative tour to this. Most tours seem to include climbing the Falls as the main activity. Any suggestions???

• 2 weeks later...

You can go to Fern Gully--very pretty drive and some good photo ops. There had been a dolphin swim area there, but it may be closed now. My group did a private tour with Peat Taylor. It was great (it did include the Falls), but there were plenty of people that didn't do the climb.

My DH is also unable to climb the falls this year, so we plan on going to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and "chill." Here's a link in case you want to check it out.

http://margaritavillecaribbean.com/h/locations_ocho_rios.html

Trevor Hudlin, took us there we had a great time. Nice place to eat and shop and go to the beach and listen to music. give Trevor an email trevorhudlin@hotmail.com

There are quite a few "activities" on Jamaica out of MoBay or OchoRios that aren't very strenuous like the falls are. Get a good guide, email him about what your limitations are, and see what he suggests. I've seen a few names posted on these boards, and they all sound good--the key seems to be to get a guide so he can be your "protection" to prevent the hassles the island seems to be known for, for those on their own. It can really make the difference!

We used Trevor Hudlin 2 weeks ago off the Caribbean Princess, he was really wonderful. We were in touch with him several weeks before the cruise via email (trevorhudlin@hotmail.com) and he was always prompt to respond to my questions. He is a native Jamaican who lives halfway between MoBay and OchoRios, so knows both areas well. He took us to Mayfield Falls, but it was strenuous, and we're all in fairly good shape. He asked us what we wanted to do and then arranged it. His rates are reasonable, and he has a great personality. I've never seen any negative comments about him on these boards (or other boards). I sound like a one-person fan club for him, but, really--he made us want to go back to Jamaica and spend some more time there. (he even had arranged for me to visit a local hospital--we were so tired after the falls, I didn't do it, but it just shows you what can be done.)

Good luck.

Mary

We couldn't manage the falls(bad knees). We did the river tubing excursion which was loads of fun and very relaxing, ocassionally mild rapids. You did have to walk down several wooden steps to get into and out of the water. Life jackets were provided. Several groups went in at the same time so there were many guides along. It took 1 1/2 hrs but I could have done another 1 1/2, it was so relaxing. Afterwards we got to sample jerk chicken befroe heading back. Because the starting point was in the mountains of Jamaica we got to see the beautiful rural countryside. Overall a great trip

• 2 weeks later...

We did the river tube excursion and booked it through RC.

This tour was a highlight of our trip. It was sooo relaxing - and floating down a cool river with a Red Stripe beer in hand was just a great way to spend the day. At dinner the night we went tubing, we heard all the stories of the people who went to climb the falls or some other inland adventure and how hot and miserable they were. We just smiled knowing we spent the day floating down the White Rive - nice and cool and relaxing. No regrets - no worries. Everything was Irre!

Book early!

tubing seems to be $20.00 per person. You can go to Margaritaville on your own if you are in Ocho Rios (which I am assuming you are) as it is right at the port. You could try going to an all-inclusive in the area for the day. I believe it is $20.00 for the day with use of all the facilities at most of them, which usually include beach, food, drinks, watersports, etc. Fern Gulley as mentioned above, pottery tours, appleton rum factory tours, there is a lot to do and a good guide will take care of you and tailor your day to your requests. Peat Taylor, A-Z, and Phil Lafayette are some that seem very reputable. We have booked with Peat for January.

Archived