Los Angeles airports?

LUCY55

Looking at booking the Diamond Princess out of Long Beach. Anyone have experience with transportation and time issues with area airports? Jet Blue is starting service from O'Hare (by us) to Long Beach in January. I can get a $99 fare from ORD to LGB one way. This flight is at 7:30 a.m. getting in at 9:30 a.m.. It would seem I would not need to go the prior day (Cruise is to leave at 4:00 p.m.). Short taxi ride to the port. The return seems impossible since the flight leaves at 10:35 a.m.. Too early right? I could return out of LAX (with Southwest) at about noon. I know LAX is further away. What is the best way to get there post cruise and could I make a noon flight? We have no experience with Jet Blue or Southwest. Alot of times we are able to get flights for just a little more from United, American or Air Tran.

Looking at booking the Diamond Princess out of Long Beach. Anyone have experience with transportation and time issues with area airports? Jet Blue is starting service from O'Hare (by us) to Long Beach in January. I can get a $99 fare from ORD to LGB one way. This flight is at 7:30 a.m. getting in at 9:30 a.m.. It would seem I would not need to go the prior day (Cruise is to leave at 4:00 p.m.). Short taxi ride to the port. The return seems impossible since the flight leaves at 10:35 a.m.. Too early right? I could return out of LAX (with Southwest) at about noon. I know LAX is further away. What is the best way to get there post cruise and could I make a noon flight? We have no experience with Jet Blue or Southwest. Alot of times we are able to get flights for just a little more from United, American or Air Tran.

Given the choice of any U.S. based airline, I'd take Jet Blue every time. ANd, it is not just me; they get great reviews. Not ahving to go through LAX is a huge bonus. I truly hate that airport.

Flying out the day of the cruise is, of course, asking for trouble. If snow closes ORD, if the plane decides to have trouble and deviates to East Nowhere, you could be in trouble. Despite what I said above,l the safest way to fly from ORD is going to be United. ORD is their home-base and if there is mechanical problems, they are more likely to have a replacement plane than Jet Blue.

I've never cruised with Princess, so I don't know how quickly they disembark. Non from LAX seems tight. I would guess you would problaby make it, but it is risky. Certainly if there is a delay (due to security, passport control, the ship arrivng late, etc.) it would be VERY tight.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. From what I have read Long Beach Airport is ideal. My worry about Jet Blue is that this 7:30 a.m. flight is their only flight. I assume they don't have reciprocal arrangements with other airlines. Do I want to take the risk? $99 for a direct flight from Chicago to LA is very attractive. We could return the day after the cruise for $149--also very good for Long Beach Airport. My other option is to go midwest airlines for about $350 round trip. But I would have to deal with LAX.

Just want to make a point. Unless Princess has changed things, Diamond Princess sails out of San Pedro, not Long Beach. It's still closer to Long Beach than LAX but you need to check to make sure you don't end up at the wrong port.

I would book Jet Blue into Long Beach - it's so much easier than dealing with LAX - only 5 miles closer to the port of Los Angeles (Wrona is correct - the Diamond sails from San Pedro, not Long Beach). The only caveat is that you have to be able to carry your carry-on luggage up the stairs to the plane - no jetways!

I would also come in the day before - as others have said, what if there's a blizzard in Chicago in January (I know, never happens:rolleyes: ). Take a cab to Long Beach to one of the many fine hotels there (Westin, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton are all represented there), go to the original Queen Mary for a look around, the Aquarium, have a wonderful meal (or 2 - you'll be there in time for lunch). Then you can get a great night's sleep without having to get up at 4:00 am to catch your flight.

10:35 is theoretically doable, but I wouldn't, not even from Long Beach on a weekend. You just never know what customs might decide to do on a given day.

How about SNA (J. Wayne/Orange County Airport)? I believe it is closer than LAX. Could use United Airlines. $375 is not as good as $275 but I have to consider the risks of the cheaper fare.

Orange County is further from San Pedro than LAX. Long Beach is just about half way between SNA and LAX. SNA is much niceer and easier than LAX, of course. The drive to Port of Las Angeles form SNA takes from 45 minutes to your entire life depending on the time of day.

I know that Princess uses San Pedro. I am going for Jet Blue. The cruise is end of March. I have gone on 6 cruises that time of year and have never had a weather situation (Chicago). We have gone on day of cruise 3 times. Once our flight was cancelled but were able to make the mad dash to the next terminal to a different airline. Had to wait for luggage at destination airport. I talked to Jet Blue and they do sometimes put people on other airlines if there is a mechanical problem with one of their planes. For the return I will choose the day after the cruise because 10:35 out of Long Beach is a little too close.

Archived