Open Container Laws

ladyjbd3155

I did a search but didn't see anything about this.

It is my understanding that the Cayman Islands are rather conservative. I'm assuming this means there are laws banning you from wandering around with beers (other tasty alcohic drinks :D ). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, would it be inappropriate to walk around the pier and shopping areas in shorts and a tank top over my bathing suit (with sandals)? We will be coming from a water excursion and I didn't know if we should change before we do some shopping. BTW, we will be in Grand Cayman if that makes any difference at all :)

Don't want to offend anyone!

This morning a local radio station had one of the police Inspectors answering questions about drinking and driving enforcement and related alcohol issues. At one point he stated that it is not an offense to have an open container on public streets when questioned about it in the sense of being a pedestrian.

He further stated that it is an offense to drink alcoholic beverages in a motor vehicle, whether parked or in motion, regardless of whether the drinker is the driver or a passenger.

YMMV, and this is NOT legal advice. If in doubt, ask one of the nice RCIP Constables on patrol in the Georgetown area.

• 4 years later...

It is my understanding that the Cayman Islands are rather conservative. I'm assuming this means there are laws banning you from wandering around with beers (other tasty alcohic drinks :D ). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, would it be inappropriate to walk around the pier and shopping areas in shorts and a tank top over my bathing suit (with sandals)? We will be coming from a water excursion and I didn't know if we should change before we do some shopping. BTW, we will be in Grand Cayman if that makes any difference at all :)

Well open container law is applicable only if you possess an alcoholic open container otherwise there is no issue to see more about open container law please refer here open container laws and Enjoy you water excursion and Please don't carry beer bottles along with you otherwise you may face infringement.

Well open container law is applicable only if you possess an alcoholic open container otherwise there is no issue to see more about open container law please refer here open container laws and Enjoy you water excursion and Please don't carry beer bottles along with you otherwise you may face infringement.

somehow I do not think California laws apply in the Cayman Islands

They are British and conservative. I read recently they are offended in the nice shopping areas of shorts and tank tops. Maybe crop pants and Tee top. The downtown shopping area us upscale.

Archived