SMOKERS BEWARE on CruiseTours !

Poohb

wv,

I wasn't really ragging on Canada...and I don't think Danno took it as such...I think he lives there and is just as frustrated at times with some of the silliness that goes on there as many of us down here in the US are amused with our own silliness in government and the courts...Heavens knows I know it doesn't only go on up there...

But, I also had a pretty good idea Danno would pick up on it...

Now, of course, if they could only get rid of those silly 70 cent dollars...or those strange "bilingual" signs--especially where the French word is IDENTICAL to the English word...Yeah, it was fun explaining to my kids why the sign at Vancouver Airport said "Restaurant-Restaurant, Telephone-Telephone"...It's because people who speak French wouldn't know where the Restaurant and Telephone were if they only wrote it in English!!...

Kathy,

The actual reasons for most non-smoking bar/restaurant laws is NOT for the patrons...or for the owners...The reason such laws came into prominence wasn't for people who have a choice of which establishments they frequent...It is for the benefit of the EMPLOYEES--the bartenders, waiters, bar waiters, busboys--the folks who DON'T really have much of a choice...Now, you can say someone shouldn't work as a bartender if they can't stand smoke, but why should someone have their employment restricted by something that really isn't a part of his/her job? And that bartender does not have the option to move to some non-smoking section or to step outside...The bartender is forced to work in an environment detrimental to his/her health...it's a workplace issue...and a restaurant or bar isn't just a place you visit for an hour or two with the freedom to take a break between courses and step outside for a smoke...It's a confined space that the waitress or bartender has to work in for 8, or often 12 hours a day...

Funny what we think about.oh by the way, Steve, the sign thing in Vancover, now that's funny!

Smoking, years ago when you could still smoke in a HOSPITAL...I was in one with many broken bones and I am a smoker. Since there was a "smoking lounge" next door to me but I couldn't get there a nurse brought me a coffe cup, filled with water and that was my ash tray. Well, here I was smoking my brains out, putting the ashes and butts in this cup. I guess I fell asleep, woke up and I was thirsty...........I looked down, saw the cup and thought, oh, coffee! Boy was it nasty.

Have any of you ever had problems with smoke stink in a stateroom?
On two different cruiselines we did. Both were balcony staterooms. One ship's cabin attendants washed windows, railings, walls, ceiling, drapery and the rolled-up 'arrival day' bedspread, along with using a room deodorizer and open balcony doors. That worked.

The other ship's cabin attendants did the whole routine described above. It diminished the situation only a little. It turned out, though, that the staterooms beside ours had pax who were constant smokers and the smoke was drifting into our stateroom from both the adjoining rooms (note: not connecting rooms). Our cabin attendants and the Housekeeping manager did everything they could think of to try to help us in that stateroom.

After three trips to Guest Relations, who insisted that ship was full and no other staterooms were available, a new person on duty realized just how seriously ill one of us had become due to the cigarette smoke. The next thing we knew, we were moved to a stateroom on the other side of the ship. One person in an stateroom adjoining our new location smoked, very occasionally, on his balcony, but no smoke drifted into our stateroom. :)

Being highly allergic to tobacco and having a wife who is asthmatic, I am actually happy to see this thread. It eases some of my fears about possible shore excursion problems associated with smoke.

I would love to try the ambiance of Costa cruises, but I hear that the smoke problem is legendary. :(

I know that CruiseWest only allows smoking on outer decks/not in cabins or inside public areas - for those who are looking for totally smoke free envir. Unfortunately, I don't know where they go except Alaska.

Hey Phil.....you sounded a little testy (?) last evening. Actually Angel didn't ask the stink question, I did..........I almost dropped my coffee cup (and a real one I might add) this morning when I checked back on this thread. I really thought that I was the only person in the world who did the cig butt drink thing. Oh so yummy but the burnt tobacco flakes get stuck in the teeth!....................I think this is a pretty mild smoking discussion, do any of you remember a fellow who posted here awhile ago, named Brettco...............you needed an extension ladder to climb on his high smoking horse...:D :D ..........I guess it was just around the times I started posting on Celebrity. I would come over here and find him in every topic here but the smoke thing was too much,

especially when he posted pictures of post mordum lungs.

My SIL smokes, after sitting at the table for almost 2 hours (late seating) he would leave to go have a smoke in the small area outside the dining room where all were gathered. It didn't bother me at all because I didn't have to go near there but I did notice and wondered if it was mandatory....every non smoker that walked by would give them "Stink Eye"

Neal

What in the hell is legendary about smoking, a disgusting habit of whicj I am guilty?????

Phil

Let me try that again. I meant smoking on Costa is legendary. From what I gather Italians are big smokers and since Costa is/was/tries to be an Italian/European line and attracts lots of Europeans (who generally have a larger smoking population than does the US) there is a lot more smoking on board.

Dang those adjectives. They should know which word they refer to!

wv,

I wasn't really ragging on Canada...and I don't think Danno took it as such...

:D ...I took it with a grin, I knew what you meant!! (Un??)fortunately I find folks from Ontario and thos from California to be very much alike...we vacationed in LA some years ago and while we had a great time we may as well have stayed in Toronto for a week. What I couldn't adjust to...you pay for your gas FIRST at a self serve gas station :confused: !!!

I had to butt in here, so I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

I find it annoying how some non-smokers like to attack the smokers. All the OP'er did was give us a little heads up on a small occurance. I thought that was at least courteous.

Exactly 1st time;

So often a comment provided to supply information is turned into an opportunity to preach. Oh boy. I appreciate the info and as a light (very) smoker I can make through the day without a "fix". I do appreciate your "heads-up"

Archived