Train from Venice to Florence

Hi - had a thought... we've been trying to figure out whether to spend our day in Tuscany or Florence...and now a light bulb went off..if our cruise ends in Venice, why not take the train to Florence, spend an extra day or so there and then fly home from Florence.

Does anyone have any info on this? Can you prebook from Canada? or just show up and hop the train? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Cruise Junky,

Trains in Italy are great. I believe the airport for Florance is in Pisa. Last fall my husband and I took the train from Rome to Florence, back to Rome, flew to Stockholm, flew back to Rome, took the train to Bologna, and then the train to Venice. For the most part we just showed up and bought our 1st class tickets. (1'st is only a little more than second) We were there in September and October. It will most likely be much busier in the summer.

I imagine there are sites with train schedules on-line. I'd do a search for Italy train schedule, etc. They are also fun, many locals take the trains.

You can get museum reservations in advance or ask your hotel to do that for you. We also loved the small guided walking tours we took. One guide was American who had studied there in college, fell in love with Florence, came back and was engaged to a native. Scalareale.org (walking tours in Rome) I think has a link to their partners in Florance. Public transportation in Florence is also a breeze.

Enjoy,

Shannon

Hi,

We did exactly that! Our cruise day in Florence was on a Monday when the museums were closed so we did the ship's tour to San Gimignano. It was great! After the cruise, we took the train to Florence. It's a three hour trip from Venice. I booked our tickets and reservations on the Internet and advise you do this if you want first class accommodations. After you disembark, there is a place in the cruise terminal after you pick up your luggage that will transport it directly to the train station for 5 Euros per bag.

Florence is a great city to explore on foot and we took two great walking tours. If you would like the name of the company, let me know and I will post it.

Bev

Thanks... I was also just looking at the information to rent a car in Venice and drop off in Pisa and the rates aren't that bad. That could be a lot of fun.

BevRun..the San Gimignano tour...that was the all day one? if so, that's definitely the one I'm interested in. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Hi Again,

The tour company that is associated with Scalareale is http://www.florentia.org, there are other companies as well, most of which have postings in hotels.Take a look at the web site. Depending on when you will be there, you may see more Americans the Florentinians. It doesn''t matter, it's always wonderful.

Regards and Enjoy,

Shannon

Archived