NCL "Sun"-West 12/31/06 verses "Jewel"-East 12/31/06? HELP-pre-booking jitters

Cruise-n-Couple

We are on the verge of booking our first cruise, we are having a tough time deciding between the "Sun" or the "Jewel":confused: Any comments, concerns, or words of wisdom would be most appreciated!

We have thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts (well most). An AMAZING source of information, KUDOS to all who have contributed:D ... Many Thanks!!!

Cheers!

Lindsay & Mark

We did the Sun (western itinerary) last Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. Our first cruise was in 2004 on RCL Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. It was a smaller, older ship but we had so much fun. I was seasick my first couple of days and wasn't sure I'd enjoy cruising, but once I got used to the rolling (and the seas smoothed out!) I was hooked! We took our second cruise on RCL Navigator of the Seas which was MUCH BIGGER. There was much more to do for the kids and it was just 'grander' in every way. So when we decided to book our 3rd cruise, and our 1st on NCL, I was nervous. I had heard so many mixed reviews from other cruisers in my neighborhood that I wasn't sure what to expect (especially after cruising the Navigator). Well, we loved it! The Sun is quite a bit smaller than the Navigator, but it is still plenty big with lots to see and do. It is a beautiful ship, beautifully maintained and very service oriented. The food (at least last Thanksgiving) in our opinion was better than RCL and our room was comparable to RCL (with NCL having the edge with more storage space in their cabins). The Sun was relaxing, fun and the itinerary was great.

We are booked to have our 2nd NCL cruise December 24 of this year and it's on THE JEWEL! I am so excited------------despite some of the reports of declining food choices, etc. Maybe I'll actually lose some weight during my cruise, since I'm not doing all that well with my pre-cruise dieting!:p

I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. I'm sure lots of the seasoned pros will start commenting now that this thread will be bumped up. There are so many wonderful NCL cruisers on this site------and they have a wealth of information to share with everyone. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

I'd say a lot of it has to do with your itinerary choices and where you have and haven't already been. The Jewel is a newer ship, but I thought the Sun still felt pretty new when we sailed her. We did an eastern itinerary on the Navigator 2 years ago and loved the ports. We are doing an eastern itinerary again this Christmas on the Jewel, but we are going to 2 new places: Antigua and Great Stirrup Cay. Maybe you should go over to the Ports of Call boards and do a little reading on the places you'd visit with each ship and see if that helps you decide?

Let us know what you decide! Either way...................you'll be cruizin the Caribbean and soakin up the sun!! Have fun!

I've been on both ships. The Sun to Alaska, and just barely off the Jewel's Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We've also done the Texaribbean itinerary out of Houston, which isn't the same as the Sun's, but close.

Both ships are nice. The Jewel is newer -- just built last year. The Sun dates back to around 2001, if I remember correctly. The Jewel is larger, holding about 500 more passengers. We had a good time on both cruises, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

My personal preference, after having done both, is the Western Caribbean itinerary. That is based strictly on my preference, however, and I know several others who disagree with me. From my viewpoint, there's more to do in the Western Caribbean ports if you're not a sun/beach type person. If you're interested in laying on the beach for most of your port time -- go Eastern. I burn extremely easily, so going to 4 ports where the main activities are beach related is probably not the best choice for me. For instance, I love going to the different Mayan ruins in the western Caribbean ports -- and found nothing on the Eastern ports that was quite that interesting to me. Did I dislike the Eastern ports? No, I just wouldn't be in quite as big a hurry to return to them. The scenery was beautiful, and I'm sure I'll go back someday, but if I was making the choice, it would be for the Sun and it's itinerary.

As an interesting side note, my DH was wearing a T-shirt from the Sun that said something about Vancouver on it. One of the crew saw it, and was talking to us about the Sun. He'd been to Alaska the last two summers on the Sun, and his preference was also for the Sun. His feeling is that the Jewel is too large -- the Sun was a better size to work on, and he said the camraderie between the Sun's crew was better than that on the Jewel. No real bearing on your choice, but I thought his comments were interesting.

Hello Tray!

Appreciate your comments! Think the reason we are having such a tought time choosing, is becuase everything we read here is sounds AWESOME for both ships! we were hoping one ship might have a clear advantage over the other... food,cabins,entertainment,etc...

Feels like we have a thousand questions! :o Thankfully, this is the absolute best resource for pre-cruising!

Sounds like you are on the Jewel just prior to the 12/31/06 we are looking at. A Christmas Cruise, NICE! - Happy Holidays!

Thanks for tip, will definately check out the Port of Call board.

Thanks again Tray, have an EXCELLENT time on your cruise! We will look forward to your reviews.

Cheers,

Lindsay & Mark

MY advice...Go with the Sun for a first cruise. The jewel is newer and bigger. A first cruise is full of wonder about everything. I just got off the Sun yesterday and really enjoyed it. I've been on the Dawn(similar to Jewel). I like the itinerary on the Sun better, but as stated before it's personal preference. I would save the Jewel for a 2nd cruise. Some people go on the largest newest ship for their first cruise and are disappointed with smaller ships after that. In the end, I am sure you would enjoy either one.

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

SS Norway 11/02

M/S Norwegian Wind 11/03

M/S Norwegian Dawn 11/04

M/S Norwegian Dawn 4/06

M/S Norwegian Sun 11/06

Funny I had this same question a few months ago. I decided on the Sun. I have been on her before and truly loved everything about her. I have been to the Eastern several times but had not been to the ports on the Western. Plus going out of NO I feel like I am helping in some way with bringing tourism back since Katrina. For me it was tough decision coz I had heard so much wonderful about the Jewel and I had already been on the Sun. I can't say 1 bad thing about my experience on the Sun. She is a beautiful ship. The crew was awesome. I enjoyed the food. We ate in the main dining as well as the pay restaurants. Always had excellent service. The room was perfect. So far this is my favorite ship. Whatever you decide you can't go wrong. Look at the different ports and decide what will interest you the most. For me it is just being on a cruise ship soaking up the sun.

Enjoy !!!!!

We are going on the Jewel in a few days but we had gone on the Sun last year. We didnt rebook the Sun because we thought the bigger, newer Jewel might be a nicer alternative. I will post a comparision for you when we get back. We have a balcony suite on both.

Archived