Easiest (and most effective) diet EVER - no joke.

bardgal

Splenda is a lifesaver for me! :) It has helped me with my weight loss efforts to the tune of 40 pounds so far.

Here's what Dr. Agatston (South Beach diet Dr.), says about sucralose aka Spenda:

Sucralose: At 600 times sweeter than table sugar, sucralose is the sweetest of all artificial sweeteners. It’s used to produce low- or no-calorie frozen and gelatin desserts, beverages, and gum. In addition to being heat stable, sucralose has the advantage of measuring like sugar, so it's a good substitute for sugar in baked goods. There are more than 110 studies on sucralose that verify it's safe for consumers.

I'd rather have the Splenda than the diabetes from eating all that sugar. :) I feel it's safe. Many of the scare sites on Splenda do not quote any studies.

I have to laugh at myself as I joined this thread way, way back and naysayed some of what was being said. Now, I have gone very low carb, pretty much following South Beach and have dropped 40 pounds. I eat flour (whole grain only), but no whites at all...I have eliminated all sugar, white or processed flour and white rice. Just whole grains, and very little of that, abut 50g a day. I have dropped my fasting glucose 30 points in 3 months. The 40 pounds was a nice side effect. I am working to avoid a diagnosis of diabetes.

I also found swimming at my local YMCA is wonderful! I started slow and am now swimming laps 2-3 hours a week along with a water aerobics class 3 days a week. With arthritis, I've found this a great exercise I can do that doesn't hurt!.

I don't think any one diet works for everyone, but whatever works for you...keep up the good work! :)

Yep, most of those studies are paid for by the companies that produce splenda. check with any naturopath and you'll get a different story. why not Stevia, Truvia, Xyitol-all natural alternatives to sugar, Splenda is chlorinated sugar!

Yep, most of those studies are paid for by the companies that produce splenda. check with any naturopath and you'll get a different story. why not Stevia, Truvia, Xyitol-all natural alternatives to sugar, Splenda is chlorinated sugar!

You say "chlorinated" like it's a bad thing. ;)

A quote from the linked article:

"The main attack against Splenda is that it is a chlorinated artificial sweetener. Is that true? Well, yes and no. It is chlorinated, which, as we'll see shortly, doesn't mean squat. And it is really a sugar molecule, so it really isn't an artificial sweetener as is, for example, saccharine. It's artificial in the same way a bowl of ice cream with artificial flavors added is artificial. The bulk of the ice cream is made with cream, milk, and sugar, so does the little bit of artificial vanilla extract make the whole shebang artificial? I don't think so. But in Splenda's case, the additive isn't even really artificial.

But what about the chlorine? That sounds like the real problem. It can't be good to consume chlorine.

First of all, every time you eat salt, half of what you are eating is chlorine. Common table salt is sodium chloride, half sodium and half chlorine (since the chlorine is in its ionic form it's called chloride). Chloride is a natural substance. In fact chlorine is one of the elements in the periodic table. No one would consider salt artificial, so how can chloride — a natural element — be artificial?"

Why not Stevia? Well, I do use that when it's available, but it's not as common to find it in products. I have not yet found it in bulk either, like I can find Splenda to cook with, so far I've only seen Stevia in packet form, aka Truvia. I avoid Nutrasweet/aspartame, but many sugar free products use Splenda.

I do look at research, (and don't believe of the 110 out there that "most are paid for by the companies that produce Splenda") here's an article that you may find interesting. In fact, according to the article below, most of the ads villifying Splenda are sponsored by the sugar industry. http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsletter/lclnewsvol07-no2-pg1.html

I just don't think Splenda is bad, of course, everything in moderation...I don't eat a lot of it, but when I do want a sweetener, it's most widely available and it's my sweetener of choice. It is heat stable, unlike aspartame.

Oh, and also I want to add that since my last post, I've continued to lose weight and am now down 55 pounds....only 15 to go to goal. :)

As I said before...to each their own, no one diet will work for everyone. Find what works for you and stick to it! :)

Hi there :)

I am not sure bardsgal visits anymore and I don't know about her plan, but the early parts of this thread do have lots of details.

For me, I do a low carb plan, and I do limit fruits to 2 servings a day.

Oh ok thanks! I did a web search on grams of sugar in fruits and it seems that bananas have quite a bit. Although, I have no clue how much a "gram" is. So I guess I'll stick to the fruits that have a smaller amount of sugar. If anyone has any tips or suggestions my ears are open!

Oh ok thanks! I did a web search on grams of sugar in fruits and it seems that bananas have quite a bit. Although, I have no clue how much a "gram" is. So I guess I'll stick to the fruits that have a smaller amount of sugar. If anyone has any tips or suggestions my ears are open!

If it's low carb you want, check out South Beach for starters. I chose this for me because of my pre-diabetes diagnosis......there is lots of free info on the web site. Also look at the glycemic load lists, that will give you an idea of how quickly certain foods can raise your blood sugar, I'm sure I'm not explaining well....but if you Google it, you'll find lots of good info. I don't eat too many bananas, 1/2 at a time, they are "starchy". I don't eat corn...in any form, also too high of a glycemic load and shoots my blood sugar up. I do eat a piece or two of dark chocolate now and then. I also include sugar free products, some with sugar alcohols, some with Splenda and other non caloric sweetners. Obviously, that is a personal choice to make as is all food choicse really.

A lot of it is mind over matter for me, something just "clicked" one day and I said enough! I can't tell you how great I feel now...eating healthy has allowed me to lose weight, get off some medications, and feel better than I have in 20 years. If I can do it anyone can..at least that's how I feel. LOL

Web search lots of diet terms, you'll find so much info, then you have to filter through, use your common sense and figure out what works for you. Bottom line is, we all know, eating a variety of veges and fruit, low fat protein, healthy whole grain carbs, aong with eliminating the "whites", sugar, flour and rice...cutting back on fried foods, using "good" oils for cooking and avoiding packaged and processed food as much as possible .....(also, have to add, getting some kind of exercise), is the best and most successful method of taking and keeping weight off.

Best of luck to you...stay motivated! :)

Fruit wise on a low carb diet you want to stick with berries... strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries. Those are the lowest in sugar content.

I don't particularly consider South Beach to be a low carb diet though. I guess compared to the standard american diet it would be.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing a no gluten, MOSTLY no sugar thing that the op did and I've lost 2 pounds already (in 2 days). Thats crazy! I have a watermelon that I'm going to eat today not sure if I'm "supposed" too. I wanted to do this to see if this is the reason I have been having so many stomach issues, and the weight loss is a bonus. Sooooo I'm going to keep doing this for a week or so and see what happens. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no wine, one of the reasons i've not been successful as I do well for 10 days or so and then I go out with friends and just have to have wine!

Alphakitty, I applaud you for being able to stick to this WOE and losing so much.

No matter what approach I try, I just keep blowing up like a balloon.

Good luck everyone!

Cheryl

• 2 months later...
This is by far the easiest diet I've even been on. No question.

You've won me. How easy is it to omit the 'wicked whites'. It reads a lot like the South Beach Plan, which I am very keen on. Only have 5 lbs to lose but am more interested in the maintenance aspect.

Thanks for the lead-in.

Anna:)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Read a few ...well a lot of the posts thanks for your input.

:cool:I'm down 25 lbs. and just decided to drop another 4 pounds.. which will put me at 125 lbs. I'm 53 and short LOL!!! I probably could lose more but being skinny is not my goal. However, I'd like to get some more of the fat off.

I think I've found a way to keep the weight off... and yes! I love junk foods and sweets. I've had success for over a year and still eat, in my opinion too many sweets.

But i think what's happening is that I cut out/down on the hidden sugars and replace them with deliberate sugars.

I'm really just curious to see how I will look at 125, because my hubby doesn't want be to lose any more weight.

I'll keep you posted.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last two days reading this whole thread. WOW! So many different ideas! I am thinking no sugar, no gluten may be the answer i have been looking for. I tried Atkins a few years ago and it was next to impossible to stay on it. Since then there is lots more products that are low carb. This WOE seems healthier and more doable than Atkins. Like the OP stated, this is not Atkins! I am gonna read more on gluten free and see if I can find some GF and SF recipes then I will give it a real go. I must make some changes in the way I eat for health and hope the 60-70 extra pounds I have will come off also. We all know sugar and bread, rolls etc. are not good in excess but eat it anyway. If anyone has any recipe suggestions I would love to try them! I just retired a few months ago and definitely have the time to dedicate to making healthier foods. Cindy

• 1 month later...

Ok, so after spending 2 full days reading this ENTIRE thread, just to come to the end to find no one active on it, I was a little dissappointed. SO.... I am hoping someone will see my post and decide to do this with me!

I am in serious need of loosing weight and this sounds like a realistic way of making it happen. Although I have to admit I am a HUGE sweet's person, which is why I am probably am heavy as I am. I haven't exercised in quite some time, which I know does not help.

Just to give you a little bit of background on myself... I'm 44, 5'6" and 220lbs. I would love to loose at LEAST 50lbs and even a little more if I could. Ideally I would love to fit back into my size 10 jeans, and if possible even my size 8/9... but I would be happy in my size 10. I have NEVER been one of those woman that are just naturally thin, I've always been more curvy, However since the birth of my daughter 6 years ago I'm now more lumpy than curvy, LOL!

If anyone out there would like to join my on this journey I would love the company!

leslie

Hey Leslie, I read the entire thread also, lol. It was very enlightening huh? I did not go with it I choose to try 5:2 eating. However I took many things away from this thread and use a lot of it. At the moment 5:2 is working well for me so I will stick with it. I don't think you will get anyone to join you on this thread but if you want to do it there is enough info in this thread to go for it. I am happy to offer you any support I can. I lurk on the boards and started the 5:2 diet thread. Not too many takers there either, lol. I am also using "My Fitness Pal" app and there is lots of support there from ladies doing different diets and exercises. Feel free to join if you want. I wish you good luck!:D

Archived