Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

I need your help! I'm onboard Freedom of the Seas next week (check the Royal Caribbean forum daily for my live "blogs" from the ship) and Grand Cayman is on my itinerary. Problem is I've been there (twice) and I can't decide which excursion to book for me and my friend I'm traveling with. I have already done the Hell/turtle farm/rum cake factory circuit so I'm choosing between cultural and active tours.

Here's where you come in. Vote for the excursion YOU think we should book. At the end of the week (5 p.m. EST this Friday, November 17), the activity that's gotten the most votes will be the one … and I'll write about it in my "blog." The best part? I’ll select one person at random from everyone who votes, and send them a gift I'll pick up in Grand Cayman!

Here are quick descriptions of the tours you can vote for:

Cultural Express, 3-hour sightseeing tour

Royal Caribbean: "Enjoy the cultural sights and sounds of two of Cayman’s Top Heritage Attractions in one customized excursion."

Me: I'll get to learn the history of the islands, see Bodden Town (the original capital) and visit the Botanical Gardens.

Grand Cayman Helmet Diving, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "The Sea Trek Helmet Diving experience is a zero gravity stroll undersea wearing the specially designed Sea Trek underwater helmet."

Me: I'll basically get to SCUBA without the gear; you "walk" along an undersea pathway up to 30 ft. below the surface, and can breathe with your helmet on.

Grand Cayman Parasailing, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Soar 400+ feet above the crystal blue Cayman waters and Seven Mile Beach on an exhilarating ride controlled by your certified crew!"

Me: I'll only be in the air for 6 - 8 minutes … but it's something I've never done and sure sounds cool! There's an option afterward to chill at Royal Palms Beach.

Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride, 2-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Upon arrival, guests are given instructions and are taken to a secluded, quiet beach for your wonderful horseback riding adventure."

Me: I'd get to ride on land and in the water with a beautiful backdrop (horseback riding would be a first for me).

Sea Spi, 2-hour water activity/adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Embrace the SEA SPI experience through the bubble-free viewing glass of your revolutionary electric personal watercraft."

Me: Basically I'll be lying down on a boat-like contraption with a bubble window to look through at the coral and sea life below the surface.

Stingray City Swim & Snorkel, 3-hour water activity

Royal Caribbean: "Experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure snorkeling with stingrays!"

Me: This is a Grand Cayman staple; I'd be able to touch and feed the stingrays according to the Web site.

PS: If you have done any of the above, share some tips with me, I'd love to hear them!

Stingray city is great. Turtles are okay but not very exciting. Hell is also slightly exciting but more touristy. My husband and I rent a scooter last year and went to all those place on our own. That was great. But the stingray city trip woudl be my recommendation.

I voted for the Grand Caymen Helmet Dive. I have never done this before but a girlfriend of mine has and says it's an experience not to be missed. We are planning it for a furture cruise to GC. She does not like to SCUBA either and said this was alot different. The only thing she said was that if you have a fear of claustrophobia then this would not be for you.

Melissa: This one gets my vote as I have also always wanted to parasail:) ....

Royal Caribbean: "Soar 400+ feet above the crystal blue Cayman waters and Seven Mile Beach on an exhilarating ride controlled by your certified crew!"

Have a wonderful time on your cruise...Later, Jill:cool:

I need your help! I'm onboard Freedom of the Seas next week (check the Royal Caribbean forum daily for my live "blogs" from the ship) and Grand Cayman is on my itinerary. Problem is I've been there (twice) and I can't decide which excursion to book for me and my friend I'm traveling with. I have already done the Hell/turtle farm/rum cake factory circuit so I'm choosing between cultural and active tours.

Here's where you come in. Vote for the excursion YOU think we should book. At the end of the week (5 p.m. EST this Friday, November 17), the activity that's gotten the most votes will be the one … and I'll write about it in my "blog." The best part? I’ll select one person at random from everyone who votes, and send them a gift I'll pick up in Grand Cayman!

Here are quick descriptions of the tours you can vote for:

Cultural Express, 3-hour sightseeing tour

Royal Caribbean: "Enjoy the cultural sights and sounds of two of Cayman’s Top Heritage Attractions in one customized excursion."

Me: I'll get to learn the history of the islands, see Bodden Town (the original capital) and visit the Botanical Gardens.

Grand Cayman Helmet Diving, 1-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "The Sea Trek Helmet Diving experience is a zero gravity stroll undersea wearing the specially designed Sea Trek underwater helmet."

Me: I'll basically get to SCUBA without the gear; you "walk" along an undersea pathway up to 30 ft. below the surface, and can breathe with your helmet on.

Me: I'll only be in the air for 6 - 8 minutes … but it's something I've never done and sure sounds cool! There's an option afterward to chill at Royal Palms Beach.

Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride, 2-hour adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Upon arrival, guests are given instructions and are taken to a secluded, quiet beach for your wonderful horseback riding adventure."

Me: I'd get to ride on land and in the water with a beautiful backdrop (horseback riding would be a first for me).

Sea Spi, 2-hour water activity/adventure tour

Royal Caribbean: "Embrace the SEA SPI experience through the bubble-free viewing glass of your revolutionary electric personal watercraft."

Me: Basically I'll be lying down on a boat-like contraption with a bubble window to look through at the coral and sea life below the surface.

Stingray City Swim & Snorkel, 3-hour water activity

Royal Caribbean: "Experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure snorkeling with stingrays!"

Me: This is a Grand Cayman staple; I'd be able to touch and feed the stingrays according to the Web site.

PS: If you done any of the above, share some tips with me, I'd love to hear them!

Melissa, There is more to cruising than just relax'n and letting everyone minister to us. We do have the opportunity of learning about others heritage and life styles. There is nothing wrong with relax'n and being treated like a human being for a change, but what a help and influence you can be to others in your position to veiw first hand lifestyles of other countries. Have a great cruise. Ozzie63:D :D :D

I have been swimming with the stingrays twice and absolutely loved it! I'm well aware of what happend to Steve Irwin and it's really a shame but these are not really hostile creatures, and it was a freak accident. They are typically very friendly and I'm so glad i saw for myself. I hate to see people steer clear of this experience because of the accident, it's not likely to happen to anyone on this excursion. There are risks that go along with parasailing and scuba diving as well but forget that for now and "Get out there". My vote is for Stingray City!

Well I say either the Stingray or the Helmet Walk.

We're booked for the Stingray tour in March on our cruise and we're doing the BOB which is sort of like the helmet walk but it's an underwater scooter.

I've heard that both of these types of excursions are incredible and they are something you're not likely going to encounter again.

Culture is wonderful yes, but so is FUN and that's what vacations are all about! Your kids will be delighted.

Have a great time!!

Kim

I say do the Stingrays. Grand Cayman is known for Stingray City. There is nothing at any other port like seeing Stingray City at Grand Cayman. Most of the other options are available at almost every single port (parasailing, helmet diving, horseback riding, etc). Even though a few other ports offer swim with the stingray options, it isn't the same as at Grand Cayman.

Hello Melissa! Have a great time whatever you do!!!! I have never been swimming with the Stingrays, so I would want to try that at least once...but since you've done that already, I vote for the parasailing--wanted to try that all my life!! Enjoy your cruise! Loralie:)

Stingray City Swim & Snorkel! The stingrays are very, very cool. It is an amazing experience to feed them, just make sure none of your fingers are sticking out, they have "Hoover vacuum" mouths. The snorkeling is also very nice, with beautiful, clear warm water and generally lots of fish, eels and maybe a nurse shark or a gar. :D

Stingray City. On my first cruise, which was full of many wonderful experiences, Stingray city was the highlight, hands down! You can parasail anywhere. And with GC being basically flat your view may not be all that different than from the top decks of freedom. But what ever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Freedom of the Seas, my family sure did. That was the best cruise we have been on. In Grand Cayman, we did the Stingray and snorkel tour with Native tours. It was great! They had a videographer along who recorded the highlights of the trip. My wife who has some fear of the water thoroughly enjoyed the excursion and even enjoyed holding the ray's and actually got a good luck kiss from one. The snorkeling was great. We saw many types of fish and even saw a green moray eel. After our adventure, they took us to lunch at Rum Point. The food was great and we even got some beach time there also. We were sad when it was over. We couldn't wait for our DVD of the trip to arrive. The DVD was great and all of our friends who have seen it can't wait to do the same tour.

Majesty of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas:)

Volendam

Melissa,

I go along with Stingray City. I think most cruise lines tend to discourage guests from parasailing (too high risk); I'm surprised to see RCCL offer that as an option. I have done Stingray City in GC. Although I probably wouldn't do it again, I would recommend it to you. It's interesting one time; after that, it's time to move on to something else. I want to try both the Sea Spi and the Helmet Dive the next time I am there. Whatever you decide, hope you have a blast!;)

:rolleyes: Oh, My Gosh !!! YOu have to do the Stingray City!!!

We did it with 6 teenagers and they still talk about it.., me included... I believe Cayman is the BEST and really the only place to see sooooo many of them, and they are harmless, and amazing... You can do any of those other excursions other times, but the stingrays.... CAYMAN !! I'm a chicken and I loved it...!! Enjoy the Island...:)

Helmut Diving without a doubt----I did this last MArch in GC--

There are Sting Ray's in many ports--you say well there is Helmut Diving in mnay ports--while true GC goes the deepest 30 feet (others are 10 to 20) and has the best water visibility for this--It has the safest safety record of any underwater sport--

You can snorkel and see more--HELMUT DIVING you feel like being an astronaut on the moon--I CANNOT EXPLAIN IT--PLUS THE UNDEWATER FRISBEE WAS REALLY FUN--

IF YOU EVER WANTER TO GO THE MOON OR BE AN ASTRONAUT TRY IT--IF YOU JUST WANT TO SEE SEALIFE GO SNORKELING--

Archived