Choose my Grand Cayman adventure, win a prize!

melissa@cruisecritic

Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!  

714 members have voted

1. 1. Choose my adventure in Grand Cayman (descriptions of tours below)!

• Cultural Express
    • Grand Cayman Helmet Diving
    • Grand Cayman Parasailing
    • Honey Suckle Beach Trail Ride
    • Sea Spi
    • Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

I have done the parasailing in the Dominican, and recommend it VERY highly, but you can do it almost anywhere.

We did the swim with the stingrays on our last cruise, and it was amazing! They are gentle, graceful creatures, and their bad reputation is not justified.

My vote is for the stingrays, you will enjoy it enormously.

Nancy

I picked the stingray because my hubby loved it! He said they were so tame-one actually got on his back to let him know it wanted some of the food he was giving out!

Now I would never do that excursion-but for those who are brave souls-it is great!

Melissa, without a doubt Stringray City is my vote. Went on this excursion awhile back and I still talk about how friendly these little guys really are. Yes, they are friendly as one actually sucks himself up the front of my swimsuit without me even knowing it. When I looked at my DH he was laughing so hard and taking picture after picture of my face. I looked down and came eye to eye with Mr. Stringray. I politely looked at him and said- okay you can get down now and he did. So I got a couple pieces of squid (the leader had) and fed it - that was the coolest experience and one I will never forget. Oh yea, I also got to hold one and gave him a kiss - which DH also got on film.

Even after the recent accident with Steve (which as a freak accident as these guys are so tame as long as you don't step on their tail) that I even wanted to do it again next month when we cruise again, but DH wanted to do something else this time.

Definately go for the Stringray City - you won't ever forget the great time you and everyone will have.

Every cruiser should at least do the Stingrays at least once. On all my cruises the stingrays stand out the most in memorable excursions ever taken.

BUT-- if that city tour takes you to the Great House--- that was great and impressive also.

I couldnt do the helmut dive as I think it would make me feel claustrophobic. (not something I wanna feel under the water)

oh and to save you wear and tear while you are on vacation-wondering what to buy me - you can just buy me a pineapple chocalate rum cake.

I SAY STINGRAY CITY. I had never been snorkeliong before until 2 years ago when we went to GC, and my friends talked me into the stingray city snorkeling. I LOVED IT. have been back to the GC twice since then, and have done the Stingray City both times. While its a shame what happened to steve irwin, rays are not dangerous:)

I've parasailed now three times at Half Moon Cay. It is without a doubt the neatest thing to do. Believe me, it is not "xtreme" as some people may think ... nothing whatsoever like skydiving or paragliding. Rather it is a peaceful experience as you float high above the boat. Sometimes if the wind is blowing just right, you get some interesting acoustics. You can actually clearly hear conversations taking place in the boats far below you.

Another neat thing about the parasailing is that you get a wonderful view of your ship anchored in the harbor (or docked ... whatever). Bring a disposable camera up with you and shoot off some photos of the world far below you ... including your cruise ship.

Of course, if there's an option offered with this excursion for some beach time, by all means ... go for that too.

I think the parasailing excursion will give you something to talk about long after your trip is ancient history.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Snorkeling is about the closest you can be to suspension in outer space. I love the feeling of being weightless! Too bad I don't feel that way on land! Just a lovely, peaceful and exciting adventure. Stingrays are fun to watch! I hope you get to do this and enjoy it! Also report back to us all about your thoughts! No sharks allowed!:eek:

Stingray City.

Despite the controversy lately, this is a one of kind experience. I went with Capt Bryan Buccaneer tour. We had 3 snorkel stops in addition to swimming with the sting rays.

These creatures are wonderful and their skin is silkly smooth. There is nothing like a picture of yourself holding a stingray. Go for it!

Capt Bryan is very well aware of the consequences of over feeding the sting rays and is in compliance with what the Cayman Island government has asked all tour operators to only feed 10lbs per trip of squid.

Have a marvelous time, I know you will love it.

Marge

Starz723

http://www.margeraymond.com

My vote is for the Sting Ray City tour if you have never done this before. GC offers the best view and environment.

However, don't be afraid to hire a private tour. I highly recommend Native way which offers a Swim with the Sting Rays, Snorkel stop and lunch at Rum Point. We just were there last week on a Jeep 4x4 tour which we had all to ourselves with just the driver. This was not only a close up cultural experience, we got to see the many historical & beautiful sites, and homes of the rich & famous plus great beach time in such a relaxing tropical spot as Rum Point. We have done the Sting Ray tour, so wanted something new since this was about the 5th time at GC.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Melissa,

I have never gone Parasailing nor do I plan to...I'm afraid of heights;:eek: but this is not about me it's about you and by the way you typed this specific description,plus adding your comments I felt that you really wanted to do this. I don't know if you have scuba dived before but I think you may have and that lets out two, the other ones are touristy and although there is nothing wrong with that..........as far as Stingray city I have done that and it was great but as you said it's a staple of Grand Cayman and you can do that anytime...Parasailing if you want to do it...DO IT NOW...time has a way of making people change their mind (I'm 48 and now adays more cautious than I was at 28:D )

Andy

Only if the water is calm...last time we went, the water was very rough; my husband is not a swimmer and could not join us in the water...I barely could keep my head above water, and I consider myself a strong swimmer!

The sight of hundreds of those graceful creatures coming from every corner of the ocean (or so it seemed) was indescribable! Unnerving! Exhilerating! They literally bumped you and swam between your legs, hoping to get fed...Amazing! I can't remember the last time I felt such delight; we were all smiling and laughing in wonder like little kids!

I was just on The Freedom and wish I were going again. Lots to do and so little time. I've swam the the stingrays and it was so much fun. I have parasailed, but not in Grand Cayman. I was so scared, but once I was UP UP and AWAY.... it was breathtaking and I would certainly do it again. Haven't done any of the others. If I had to pick, I would think you should swim with the Stingrays. Everyone should try that at least once.

Happy Sailing!

Jen

I vote for Stingray City - It is a wonderful trip and amazing to see them in their natural environment. Stingrays have gotten such bad press with the 2 recent accidents that I am sure that a good review would help convince some people that it is as safe as ever with these tame stringrays.

While, I, too, vote for Stingray City, I'd like to take the privilege of being the most current poster and editorialize a bit :)

If you choose this adventure, be sure to find a small boat that can take you away from the crowds at Stingray City or go at a time of day when there is less 'traffic' - any too tour provider can help you here. Also, there are opportunities for swimming with stingrays in the downtown area that only require knowing where they are and having your own snorkel equipment - for a unique experience check that out. Whatever you decide do something in the glorious clear water of the Caymans and enjoy!

I was able to take this tour years ago and still have such fond memories of it! I never felt scared or threatened by the stingrays at all. The pure awe of so many creatures swimming around you while in clear water is amazing and their skin is a texture I don't know I will ever experience again - almost like slimey sandpaper is as close as I can get, but not slimey maybe slick? I chose not to feed them, preferring to just stand and observe - once in a lifetime I say!

Archived