Mens formalwear - neckwear

Sunshine91

Hi ladies - Well we finally did it. Broke down & bought John a tuxedo. Fred.gif He's a rather large guy so will wear a vest, always, instead of a cummerbund.

My question is about neckwear. I'm having trouble finding bowties that I like so am thinking of having my Mom make a couple. Maybe a long tie one night. When a man wears a long tie with a tux, is it ever patterned? I can only recall seeing the celebs wear solids. Any guidance is appreciated. thanks.gif

Correct black tie calls for a bow tie. If you wish to go with a long tie there are no rules so you can do whatever you want. For more info see www.blacktieguide.com. Have a great cruise!

P.S. Avoid taking guidance from celebrities at all costs. Other than George Clooney they usually have no idea what they're doing!

I recommend that if wearing a 4-in-hand necktie (a regular necktie) the best look would be a solid tie of the same color as the vest. Black with black is always appropriate, but a silver with silver or white with white would also look sharp. Patterned ties IMHO do not look as formal as solid color ties (whether neckties or bowties).

Check out this site, there are some good examples of long ties with a Tux.

Some even with a wingtip rather then a full collar which I didn't think would work. Most have a full vest I notice. I usually won't wear a full vest, because of our heat even in winter, and we dance (ballroom) often. I'll go with a backless vest usually ornate and matching bow tie, or matching cummerbund set with a dinner jacket.

http://www.worldwidetuxedos.com/productCat693.ctlg

Hope this helps.

I recommend that if wearing a 4-in-hand necktie (a regular necktie) the best look would be a solid tie of the same color as the vest. Black with black is always appropriate, but a silver with silver or white with white would also look sharp. Patterned ties IMHO do not look as formal as solid color ties (whether neckties or bowties).

I totally agree with the above.

Also, if he wears a bow tie, which I prefer to long tie, try and wear a real one instead of a clip on.

Also, if he wears a bow tie, which I prefer to long tie, try and wear a real one instead of a clip on.

Amen to that. And here's a great secret few people know about when it comes to self-tie bow ties: Tie the bow tie around your thigh. A man's thigh is usually the same size as his neck but tying it in this position allows you to clearly see what you're doing without having to use a mirror. Once you've got the knot just right (it's only a shoelace knot so that's not very difficult to do), unclasp the tie then put it around your neck and clasp it back together!

No doubt about it, ent a self-tie bow tie is what separates the men from the boys at a formal evening.

Gentlemen - Thanks so very much for your guidance. The websites you provided are very helpful. thanks.gif

I only mentioned the celebs because outside of cruises, that's about the only regular exposure we have to men in tuxes. cry8.gif

I've been trying to find patterned, maybe whimsical bowties for John. A cruise is a fun event, not a serious one, like a wedding or presidential inaugural. I'd like his ties to coordinate, not match, what I wear (we're not going to prom). My dresses are all solid colors - that's why I thought patterns, like a paisley, would be nice. I just wasn't sure about the long tie. I think that a solid for that IS more formal. Otherwise he just looks like he's wearing a black suit. dazed027.gif

Petey - LOVE the idea about tying the tie around the thigh for practice! I'll try that.

What's a clip-on? dontknow.gif

Oh my God. I thought pre-tieds were bad enough but I had no idea people wore clip-ons with tuxedos!

yep, oops sorry I got the pre-tie thing mixed up with clip-ons!

It's all the same to me, DH has always worn a proper self-tie. He would rather "die" than wear anything else!

Clip-ons eh? I think they are worse than clip-on sunglasses if that's possible! :eek:

Archived