Has Anyone Taken A Cruise With A Catheter?

berylde

My DH having temporary urinary problems and will still have a foley catheter in place on sailing date. (12-2-06). He uses a leg bag during the day.

He is thinking about cancelling the cruise. Does anyone have any positive OR negative experiences?

Go and enjoy your cruise. My husband is a quad and prone to UTI's. He prefers to go on our cruises with a foley. He drinks more alcohol in the ship and not enough other fluids, so it prevents things from getting worse. As long a he or you know what to do if it becomes blocked or whatever. Medical onboard is pricey.

My DH having temporary urinary problems and will still have a foley catheter in place on sailing date. (12-2-06). He uses a leg bag during the day.

He is thinking about cancelling the cruise. Does anyone have any positive OR negative experiences?

I hate to suggest another site but you might want to ask on the Care Forum at http://www.sciwire.com. The VA nurses are the best at answering these kind of questions.

And yes, I've been on 8 cruises from 6 to 14 days and no problems. Make sure to take extras in case of problems and if you need the help ask the medical staff. Otherwise I'd suggest you just go over how to remove one and insert a new one with a nurse at his doc's office. Any fever or stuff the docs on board aren't that expensive just their supplies IMHO. Enjoy your trip and tell the DH to also. Life happens, eh? :-)

Oh, and for day trips keep empty plastic water bottles for emptying and tossing in the garbage. It even works on planes. If he gets the pat down at airport security checks just quietly explain it's a urine collection device. I've never had a problem with the TSA on this or with ship security.

Using a leg bag under slacks and a sports leg bag with longer shorts works just fine. Many people who do either intermittent cath or use indwelling catheters cruise all the time. He shouldn't let this stop him from traveling.

I would recommend learning how to change it if needed during the trip, and taking an extra catheter and insertion tray with you. This way you don't have to pay for expensive ship medical center charges to do this if needed for either dislodgement or blockage during your trip.

Archived