Baragins in Cozumel

Luvcrusin

DH and I just returned from Cozumel. We were there last Wednesday on the EOS. I thought there would be bargains. They tell you to bargain with the vendors. But it was very difficult. There is no prices on the items so for me I really didn't know where the starting point was. We were on the Tulum Express tour. They stop at rest stop for 20 minutes. I tried to buy about 6 pairs of earrings. They wanted $400.00+ US dollars. There was no bargaining. I said that was too high...how much for 2 pairs. $135.00+ US. I said too much...told him I only wanted to spend $50.00 US and he just looked at me. So I left. I thought it was me. Until we got back on the bus and a few people were commenting on how they were expensive and would not come down. Sometimes I felt that they looked at us as rich americans, you can afford a cruise you can afford anything. Some of us save for months in order to just get on the ship. Then at the vendors at Tulum. I was trying to buy refrig magnets. Ones that I have brought here for $3/$4. They wanted $7 & $8. Their t-shirts were $30 dollars. When I said I what I want to spend they would take things out of my pile. I ended putting back a few things. One vendor, I did better. Got a better pair of earrings and a necklace for $35 US. "he said I was his first customer, just for me"...ha. Then the last vendor I wanted another pair of earrings. I only had $20 cash left. They would not come down $5 dollars. So I started to leave. They called me back. I said show me what you have for $20. Then he went to his boss. I finally got a pair for $20. I hope this helps. Maybe there is someone on your cruise that can show you some tips.

Starrluna

The first time we were there I didn't barter well! Then I got on the ship and found out where our table mates went and I went there the next year. When you come off the ship , walk through the large building into the main shopping area and there will be a two story building on your right. There are very small shops up on the second floor - but well worth taking a look at. I bought a Very beautiful pair of earrings [sILVER AND A STONE CALLED FIRE OPAL ] I didn't care for the price even though it wasn't too bad. I walked away and he started bartering with me so we talked our way through it. I then saw a ring and pendant to match so we really got down to business ! The more I was willing to buy the better the prices got. What started out to be approx. $400.00 ended up to be $83.00. I get MANY compiments whenever I where them as to how unusual they are and the quality seems to be great. I try to get unusual jewlery since I am not in the market for diamonds and the like!:)

The vanilla is a good deal. Other than that, I didn't find really any bargains there. There are a few cute souviner type trinkelts, but no real bargains. I priced quite a bit of silver jewelry and found prices in the US, on sale to be better.

I would suggest if you are going to be there for a long time to take the ferry to Playa Del Carman they have great deals there. We were not able to port last year in the Caymens and that is where they took us. I bought some great stuff and they had great bartering (spell) and great prices. Margaritas (not so great)

The reasons that the prices seemed high was for a very good reason... THE CRUISE SHIP WAS IN PORT.

I have seen it first hand when I was in Cabo San Lucas for a week... when the cruise ships come in to port the prices ALWAYS go up and much less bartering. So all this information about the bargins... well is true IF you dont show up on a cruise ship.

Thats been my experence...

Archived