Carnval or Royal Caribbean

I am looking into booking a Canada cruise from the NY area. I can't decide between Carnival or RCL. Also, what is the best month to go for the least rough waters.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

This is for my 20th Anniversary in 2005. I needed something close and cheap because we are planning a family cruise (both mine & my hubby's sides) in 2006.

Thanks again.

I would suggest Carnival, but thats just b/c thats the line I'm going on :)

As far as rough waters - you can look back at many other posts on this topic, but basically its hard to tell. Water can be very rough one week, then great the next. Aug - Oct is technically hurricane season, but that doesnt imply that you will certainly experience rough waters. If you want to play it a little safe, I would go earlier in the Canada cruise season (late July or so), but still there is not guarentee that you will have smooth sailing and you will miss all the fall foliage which is a big draw for this part of the country.

I am looking into booking a Canada cruise from the NY area. I can't decide between Carnival or RCL. Also, what is the best month to go for the least rough waters.

This is for my 20th Anniversary in 2005. I needed something close and cheap because we are planning a family cruise (both mine & my hubby's sides) in 2006.

Thanks again.

Carnival's rates are lower but they didn't know a thing about ports etc. when we were on Victory last year... if that is a factor. It's a lovely lovely itinerary. This year rates to New England on Masdam have been very low compared to others through the summer.. don'g know when you are going??? Is Royal Caribbean doing longer cruise or just the short one to Halifax and Saint John's>?????

I was thinking of going in early October (my anniversary is 10/06) but I am open if another time is better. We were thinking of the fall folliage as one factor for going in October.

Carnival Victory has a 7 day itinerary from NYC. RCL has the 5 day from NJ aboard the VOS (St John & Hailifax only). Carnival stops in Boston & Maine before reaching Canada.

The cruise in early October is the one we are booked on. I would always take the 7 day over the 5 day! I believe the RCL cruise you are mentioning departs from Bayonne which some have said is a better port than NY, but part of the thrill of our cruise will be sailing away from NYC - it doenst get any better than that.

From what I have read, the time frame that we chose (Oct 2-9) is the best time to see fall foliage rather than the earlier season cruises which begin sailing in July. I'll definetly post a review when I return - maybe it will have some helpful information for you.

My wife, granddaughter and & were on the VOS cruise 6/27. The ocean couldn't have been calmer. Like a sheet of glass. He North Atlantic is notorious for rough seas. Later on in the year it'll get rougher. I believe the best time is late June thru July.

The cruise was great. Not long enough for me. I like longer cruises. However, Saint John's, there is not much to see. Some sights but not as intereting as Halifax. If RCCL would lengthen their cruise to 1 day in Saint Johns and possible 2-3 days in Halifax, that would be great. Nova Scotia is beautiful and there is so much to see you can't in less than a day. From Halifax to Yarmouth there is so much to see. Even further East is beautiful.

I'd have loved to do an East coast but because of $$ and time constraints we chose the 5 dayer. Nice but, In my opinion, too short.

Enjoy your Cruise

dave

If you want to celebrate your October anniversary in style, I would suggest you look into Radisson's Seven Seas Navigator which has seven day cruises from New York to Montreal or from Montreal to New York in October 2004 and 2005 (we are booked 10/8/05). The only sea day you will have will be on the calm and scenic St. Lawrence River. RSSC will spoil you for any other cruise line.

I was thinking of going in early October (my anniversary is 10/06) but I am open if another time is better. We were thinking of the fall folliage as one factor for going in October.

Carnival Victory has a 7 day itinerary from NYC. RCL has the 5 day from NJ aboard the VOS (St John & Hailifax only). Carnival stops in Boston & Maine before reaching Canada.

If you are going on October that is "high season" for Canada when most of the lines have at least one ship there... HAL, Princess, RCI, Crystal, Radisson, and Carnival. and possibly some others for one or two sailings. There are more options then than throughout the summer (unfortunately).. would love to see regular 10 night Canada/New England sailings in summer. We did that on Carnival Victory last year.. Quebec City is not to be missed if possible.. a wonderful place to vacation and you will just be more enticed to return if you vist on a cruise!

Caroline & Dolphins;

Thanks for the info. I have been to Quebec City before (stayed at the Chateau Frontenac) and absolutely loved it. I do want to go back with my family one day.Original trip was with girls only trip.

Raddisson?? I will check it out. I had narrowed it down to Princess or Carnival because they both had 7 days roundtrip. Less expense.

Since I will be going on a RCCL Voyager class multi-family cruise in 2006, I need to save money. However, hubby and I just want some "alone" time. For cost, a local cruise seemed the best choice. And hubby has always wanted to do the "Fall Foliage" and Maine.

Thanks for all the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

WE JUST CAME BACK FROM CARNIVAL VICTORYS 5 DAY CRUISE TO CANADA.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME. BE SURE TO BOOK A SUITE WITH A PRIVATE BALCONY ITS SOOOOOO WORTH IT. THE WEATHER WASNT GREAT BUT THE SHIP HAD ALOT TO DO AND MOST EVERYONE WE MET WAS REALLY NICE. .

WE HAVE ALSO BEEN ON ROYALS CRUISE AND WOULD SAY THAT IT IS ONE STEP ABOVE CARNIVAL AS FAR AS FOOD AND CLEANLINESS. BUT BOTH ARE WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT:confused:

RCI also has 2 other Canada/New England sailings this year asside from the Voyager's 5 day out of Bayonne, NJ.

There is 1- 7 day and i beleive 2 - 10 day cruises out of Boston on their brand new Jewel of the Seas. The 7 day is goes to bar harbor, halifax, st. john, sydney, and portland. the 10 day adds montreal and quebec i beleive. the 7 day sails out of boston on 9/11 and the 10 day begins on 9/18. i know that both of them still have availablity of anyone is interested.

• 2 months later...

I have went on ONE cruise on Carnival, I call it the Cruise from Hell. Bad food & awful excursion experiences. I would never cruise with them again. The only thing they have over all the ships is that their clientel is the younger crowd. (21-30). Typically their food stucks, their excursions do not give you ample/quality food. If you love to eat spend the extra cash, usually the price is not that much different. $100-200 more total. Food is always great, service is the best and the staff is outrageous.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks again.

Do not over look some of the other Ships.. we just did Canada / New England in Sept on the Grand Princess.. same Price as the Canival with more ports of call. Calm seas everyday, weather was grand with the execption of Newport that had some remnant of Hurricaine Ivan. Other then that lovely.. Sailed out of NY on Sunday.. had a nice Sea day monday.. very relaxing.. then Tuesday in Halifax. Wednesday in St John NB.. Thursday Bar Harbor Maine.. Friday.. Boston.. Saturday Newport.. then back to NY on sunday.

So do check into the other ships as well

• 3 weeks later...
Do not over look some of the other Ships.. we just did Canada / New England in Sept on the Grand Princess.. same Price as the Canival with more ports of call. Calm seas everyday, weather was grand with the execption of Newport that had some remnant of Hurricaine Ivan. Other then that lovely.. Sailed out of NY on Sunday.. had a nice Sea day monday.. very relaxing.. then Tuesday in Halifax. Wednesday in St John NB.. Thursday Bar Harbor Maine.. Friday.. Boston.. Saturday Newport.. then back to NY on sunday.

So do check into the other ships as well

Jim and everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I had 3 choices narrowed - Carnival, RCCL, and Princess. Now it looks like it will be either RCCL or Princess. Since my TA just got back from maternity leave, she has sent me a note to let me know that they are running specials for cruises booked by 10/31. I'll check with her and let you know the final decision. Then the real questions- What to do at the ports??

Thanks again all.

Would definitely go with Royal Caribbean or Princess... and re ports! There is so much to do in these ports of call that you could return more than once. Without going into a lot of detail I'd suggest you go to the Royal Carib or Princess site and take a look at some of their shore tours.. they will give you an idea only of what to do.. Halifax and Portland have numerous options; Quebec City -- you could spend a week there; Sydney has Baddeck and Lourisbourg and St John's the reversing rapids and a lot of other options... If you go back further on this port of call board for the summer you will find lots of info.. feel free to post specific questions re any of the ports???

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would have to disagree on Carnival catering to a younger crowd. I have been on two Carnival cruises to Canada in which 80% of the passsengers were older, over the age of 65.

i totally agree here. it depends on the destination ( on any ship ) what age group you are going to have on the ship. i love carnival and have never been unhappy with the crowd, service or the food. when i plan my new england cruise i am looking at the carnival cruise choices first. then i will compare with the other ships. but i wont rule them out. but i wont overlook any other ship if it suites my needs more.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary (We have a long way til #20...Congratulations). We booked an interior cabin :( (gotta figure how to upgrade) on RC Enchantment 6 day. It sails out of Bayonne and stops in Boston, Bar Harbor, and Halifax.

We are so excited but I am not sure if it is worth booking excursions in all of the ports. :confused: We are definately kayaking in Bar Harbor but from there, we are unsure if its worth it to pay all the extra money to tour these smaller places. Any ideas, comments, suggestions??

I did the Kayaking in Bar Harbor. It was great! Its soooo gorgeous out there. We saw otters in the water when we went kayaking. We had the unfortunate experience though of one of the couples on our tour (probably in their mid 50s - mid 60s) tip their kayak over. The guy panicked and they had a hard time trying to turn their kayak upright and get back in. Eventually the 3 guides were able to help them out and all was well.

Bar Harbor is a great town to just walk around. The shopping district of the town is right there as you get off the tender in town. Also you might want to think about going to Acadia National Park. Its gorgeous up there as well. We kayaked in the morning. Walked around town and did some shopping (great deals!), went back to the ship for lunch then came back to town for a tour of Acadia National Park in the afternoon.

Instead of buying Acadia National Park excursion through the ship, you could buy it when you get to town. there is a cheap trolley that takes you up there.

In Halifax, think about take a tour out to Peggy's cove. Very lovely lighthouse, especially if you are into lighthouses. You can also rent a car and do this on your own. People seem to like to do that. The drive is very scenic. In town you can walk along the harborfront. Very nice. There is also a free shuttle from the dock to different spots around town. The fortress that sits on the hill above town is pretty interesting. The public garden is nice.

Of all of the stops on our cruise, Sydney was our least favorite as there didn't seem to be much to do. We took the tour out to the Fortress of Louisbourg. It was interesting. But it was also cold that day and being outside for hours wasn't that fun!

You can check out pictures of the different ports by clicking on the link below in my signature.

Enjoy!

Archived