Diamond ... What Time Would You Check In?

GuyInLA

Okay... as usual my boarding pass says "Boarding 12:00 - 3:00", and that it'll be faster after 1PM. But I hear of people getting onboard as early as 11. Does that really happen? I'm Elite, and have done the online registration, so I can go to the Platinum express check-in. But I suppose the real question is this: When does the check-in process usually begin on a voyage scheduling check-ins beginning at noon?

I'm making my transportation arrangements to the pier, and don't want to get there too early... but I, of course, would like to be the first onboard. :)

Boarding in San Pedro (LA) often starts as early at 11 or 11:30, but there are no guarantees.

Personally, I prefer boarding at about 2pm. But I am not Platinum yet.

At 2pm that means I can do something in LA or Long Beach (because we arrive 1 day early) like go to the Getty Museum or the Long Beach Aquarium. Then, at 2pm I board, have a late lunch, relax, unpack, do the usual stuff, and then eat a late dinner at about 8pm.

Late arrival helps me avoid lines and allows me to enjoy the embarkation city.

Check Cruisecal.com to see how many ships will be in port. If it's just Diamond, your odds of boarding early are pretty good, although immigration can hold things up if they so chose, and there's no way to predict. If there's more than one ship in port, you'll want to see which berth Diamond is leaving from - the newer one (93) is very efficient, and the older one is just awful. We boarded the Island Princess at the old berth at 1:30 and it took us 25 minutes just to get into the terminal - in the newer berth you check in first, then go through security, while in the other you go through security and bag screening first which can create quite a bottleneck.

We were on board in Vancouver by 11.30am (3ships in port). Everything went very smoothly and we had lunch on board. We like to board as soon as they will let us then we can relax for the rest of the day and enjoy the ship.

I guess it varies depending on the port.

Check Cruisecal.com to see how many ships will be in port. If it's just Diamond, your odds of boarding early are pretty good, although immigration can hold things up if they so chose, and there's no way to predict. If there's more than one ship in port, you'll want to see which berth Diamond is leaving from - the newer one (93) is very efficient, and the older one is just awful. We boarded the Island Princess at the old berth at 1:30 and it took us 25 minutes just to get into the terminal - in the newer berth you check in first, then go through security, while in the other you go through security and bag screening first which can create quite a bottleneck.

So true. We must have been at the new one last December. Got there at 12:15pm and were on the ship with carryon bags unpacked by 1:15. And we're gold (we were directed right up to a waiting clerk at the check in desk).

We got there at 10:30. No line at all. Walked right up to desk and checked-in and got our cruise cards. They started boarding at 11:30. We were on the ship, checked our cabin, and were sitting and having lunch in HC by 12:00. Easiest embarkation I have ever been through.

We are also Elite and were just on the Diamond. We got to the pier (93), the new one at 12:00. They had not started boarding. After we checked in (5 min) we walked with our friends to the security area. They (3 couples) were given boarding group numbers. Elites go to the elite area. But just as we got there, they started boarding. Elites have a special line that goes to the security screening area. After that you are ready for the walk to the gang way. The process is very fast.

If you are one of the 40 most traveled pas, they have a luncheon on Monday with the Captain and staff. If you have not done this in the past, it is not to be missed. Enjoy the cruise, it's great.

Archived