Dividing a stateroom during child's naps

jdfcruisers

My 2-yr-old will be taking naps in our (Carnival) inside cabin during days. Problem is, if she can see us in the room (even if we're sleeping, too), she will not sleep. So DH is talking about ways (using tripods and a blanket!) to block her view of us, creating sort of a privacy screen. Has anyone done this, or found a solution to this similar problem? I noticed RCI has curtains that partway separate the couch area from the bed, but no luck on Imagination. We cannot afford a balcony room, DH is against in-room babysitting, and we cannot afford her mood if she skipped her naps! I know this may sound silly to some of you, but better a cruise with limitations than no cruise at all!

I've never had to do it (but I completely understand your situation). We used to have to lay down and pretend we were going to sleep in order to get our toddler to sleep in the same room with us.

Do you think there's a way to run a bungee cord acroos the room and then hang a flat sheet over it?

If all esle fails, maybe you can bring a book into the bathroom and hang out in there until she's asleep.

Oh and just to add. Not all RCI ships have curtains like that...only in the suites.

I once stayed in an inside cabin on RCI Sovereign of the Seas and we literally opened the door and there was the bed.....not more than a foot from the door.

So to lay a child down, you would literally have to hang out in the shower just to keep out of site.

We sailed on the Triumph in Sept. My daughter, son-n-law and their 3 (2 year old) triplet daughters stayed in one cabin. The cabin steward brought sheets into the room. She had 3 cribs and he hung the sheets from the ceiling tiles to make a tent for the girls. This provided them privacy and they slept great. It can be done. I think they hung 3 sheets, one on either side, and one in the front. It can be done.

I've heard of people buying those 3M sticky hooks and sticking them to the wall, then tying a rope/string to both ends and sliding a shower curtain on hooks over it. It's a bit of work, but I know the value of naptime and would do it if I need to!

I think the cabin steward will be able to help you out, I am sure they have come across this problem before and will be able to help you out in designing a makeshift curtain.

The only problem they have ever not come to my rescue was when i forgot my curling iron but they searched high and low for one for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Alternatively get them drunk ;)

We've been lucky with our little one: on the first holiday they'd promise us a cot but couldn't deliver when were there, so she slept in the suitcase. If she wouldn't sleep we simply zipped it up. (we didn't though :p )

You could try one of those twist-tents: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2336912&cp=&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&origkw=tent&kw=tent&parentPage=search They're quick to set up and take down. You may need to attach it to the bed though.

Make sure you get them used to it at home for a couple of weeks and it should run smoothly.

Depending how long it usually takes for her to fall asleep, you may want to just sit right outside the cabin door (in the hallway) after you put her into bed. We did this at a hotel once when our son had the same issue. We had a baby monitor with us to listen in on the room to make sure he wasn't playing and to determine when he fell asleep. Then we went back in and read or watched tv or slept, etc. Just an idea if the sheet thing doesn't work.

Wendy

If you're in a room with the upper beds that pull down (which you may have since you have three people in your room), you can have the room steward keep the bed down and then hang a sheet under the mattress, which would create a wall near the bed your child is sleeping in.

My girls took two solid naps a day on our last cruise - they were sooo tired in addition to the slight motion of the ship, they couldn't stay awake once put down, so I bet you won't have too much of a problem, especially with the room darkened (I brought a book light along on my last cruise).

Best,

Mia

Archived