New to HAL-Hubbard Glacier Cruise?

Chance's Mom

My husband and I have not been on HAL before, but we are considering an Alaska cruise to Hubbard Glacier. Would appreciate any thoughts on this cruise out of Seattle. (Thinking about late May or early June) We also are a bit concerned about the dress code for dinner. We are not rednecks, but we don't like to have to dress to the hilt for dinner every night. :confused: Thanks!

Hubbard Glacier makes for a lovely cruise. Some say sailing from Seattle has a bit 'rougher' seas, but we've never noticed it being much different from Vancouver.

And there's no need to dress formally every night, or any night for that matter. There will be two "formal" nights on a 7 day cruise, but you cal always opt to eat in the Lido that night (the casual dining venue) - or even to have the wonderful formal menu food delivered to you by room service.

My husband and I have not been on HAL before' date=' but we are considering an Alaska cruise to Hubbard Glacier. Would appreciate any thoughts on this cruise out of Seattle. (Thinking about late May or early June) We also are a bit concerned about the dress code for dinner. We are not rednecks, but we don't like to have to dress to the hilt for dinner every night. :confused: Thanks![/quote']

First, I think that everyone should see both Hubbard and Glacier Bay at least once in their life, so pick one for this time and plan to go back again to see the other. Hubbard is a large glacier, but under the wrong conditions (fog, not much calving) it can be less impressive than other times.

On the subject of dress code: don't worry about it. Even on formal nights (2 on a 7-day from Seattle) only about 1/2 the people will be dressed "to the hilt". The other nights will be a mix of informal (tie optional for men) and casual. Do a search on "dress code" and you'll find a lot of advice. Here's a starter thread to look at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=441505

Archived