Help! Need Advice for Pratical Evening Gown for Bride

chopstix2000

So, it's been awhile since I've been on here. My cruise was awesome and we can't wait to go again. But now I need some advice from all of you. I have a friend who is getting married at the end of March. She wants to change out of her wedding dress after the ceremony b/c she feels it is too heavy to wear around for the reception. So she's going to change into an evening gown. Her mother wants her gown to be extravangant and lavish (because she is the The Bride, after all). However, my friend's style if very, very simple. Strictly tshirt, cargo pants, and sneakers kinda girl. She VERY rarely wears skirts and almost NEVER wears dresses. So, seeing her in a dress on her wedding day is no small feat. She has asked for my help in searching for an evening gown for her and finding a happy medium between extravangant and practical. Here's what I'd like to know from you. Where are good places to shop for evening gowns (other than the obvious department stores, Saks, Neiman's, Nordstroms) that I'm not thinking of and do you have any style suggestions on what to wear? She is about 5'1", 100 lbs, very petite, and her budget is $1,000. Also, there will be a swing band, so lots of swing dancing going on at the wedding. It would be nice to find something she could look good in and dance in as well. So, if you have suggestions, pictures, links, etc, please post them!

Thanks for your help!

If her style is simple, have her check out David Meister (you can see a lot on the Nordstrom site). He generally cuts in simple lines, sometimes uses embellishments and a large percentage of his dresses are in a wonderful, full bodied jersey.

I have several, both long and short. He shows some short cocktail that are asymetrical that I think would be great based on her frame and also might solve the long vs short dilemna.

I do not go in for fussy clothes and like the elegance and simplicity of his dresses. I am getting married next weekend while on Century and will be wearing a chocolate brown jersey long DM dress for the night of the wedding, which is formal night. I decided to wear my dress only for the ceremony and reception.

I'm not going to be of much help except I see you live in Austin, TX...don't they have small "boutique" stores in town? That would be the type of place she would find something. I'm also 5'1" and about 105 and if I was getting a dressy dress I would go somewhere small because you get service and seamstresses who know what they are doing...as your friend will DEFINITELY need a hem and probably the shoulders pulled up once she finds a dress she likes. Good luck!

My sister changed from her gown into a white dressy sleeveless jumpsuit (which looked like a vest and loose pants, but was really one piece) about 1/2 way thru her reception. She waited until she was done with all the cake cutting, dance with Dad, etc. before she changed. Sorry, it was about 10 years ago and I have no idea where she bought it!

My sister changed from her gown into a white dressy sleeveless jumpsuit (which looked like a vest and loose pants, but was really one piece) about 1/2 way thru her reception.

What a great idea for a elegant yet comfortable outfit. You could get those new wide leg pants in a crepe or floaty fabric and a fitted bodice top like a vest or a bustier.

I say tell her she should wear her WEDDING dress throughout her reception and dance the night away and forget the "rock star" mid-concert change of gown need. Removing a heavy train for dancing is expected and common.

A bride is a bride is a bride!!!!

It's her wedding dress! It's the most important dress she'll EVER own or wear. She should wear it throughout her grand event! If it's TOO heavy, go into training! Or, buy a lighter wedding dress? :)

No matter what she "changes" into.....she'll be "lost" on the dance floor. Common. Back to a pumpkin.

Never, on your grandest day, settle for being less than the "STAR" you are.

If she doesn't like dresses that much but will wear a skirt then I suggest a nice floor length skirt and a matching top or a top that compliments it. I know from having daughters that have done proms in the last 5 years, that there are a LOT of sites online that have prom gown/bridesmaid gowns. Find one that is A line so she can move easily in it. Some might even be for petites. I have a friend who is not only plus sized, but 6 feet tall and she's bought several pieces of clothing online and has been very pleased with them. Some stores even have eBay listings of NEW clothes they want to dispose of. You can check their rating that way and see if past purchasers are pleased with their service. And she might get a good deal in the process. Good luck to her.

Has she already bought her gown? I would think a gown with a detacable trane would be the way to go-elaborate for the ceremony but simplified for the reception.

Many gowns come strapless with a matching bolero and trane that can be removed. Elaborate enough for a church wedding but could be dressed down for the reception by removing the trane and jacket.

Archived