VOS 9 Day - Questions

Mark - how was disembarkation yesterday? What time were you (and others) off the ship?

It's funny - we're worried about the opposite problem. We're on the Sept. 10th Voyager with 3 preteens & I'm worried that there won't be any kids for them to hang with and activities won't happen due to the lack of kids. Guess we should have gone in July - but the prices were prohibitive and I don't think I'd want to put up with 1497 other kids being obnoxious either! (Not to say mine are perfect, but at least I have control over them unlike the others!)

Hi Marciemi,

I'll be on the 9/10 sailing with my 10 year old daughter. She's only going to miss 3 1/2 days of school for the whole time we are onboard! I couldn't have afforded it any other way except going at this time as well. Hope to meet you guys at the meet & mingle or onboard. We are cabin 9593!

debbie

piginmud@yahoo.com

Piginmud - are your kids off for the Jewish holidays as well? My kids are off 3 days for those (although we're not Jewish our district is) so they're only missing 3 days (assuming we can drive all the way back to Michigan Sunday after disembarking). I'm hoping they can sleep in the car and DH & I can drive and go into work late (or not at all!) on Monday. They just can't miss one more day though. I responded to you on the Roll Call thread as well - head over there & we can keep the conversation going!

To respond to Cruisingfanatic - sometimes you do what you can. I have no qualms about my oldest. He'll be in 7th grade and is taking 9th grade math, 8th grade science and 8th grade Band since he's skipped ahead in those. He never got a grade lower than an A (and mostly A+'s) last year. I also discussed this with his principal and vice principal over a year ago when I booked the cruise.

My 4th grader I also have no concerns about. He already skipped a grade of school, is in a gifted and talented program in another district, and also got all A's and A+'s last year. Additionally he has the same teacher he had last year and we already set up a program for some things to present to the class when he returns.

My only concern is with my 6th grader. Although he is a good student as well, he is starting with 6 new teachers in a (new) middle school. And I couldn't really talk to his teachers since I didn't know (& still don't) who they would be. I'm picking up his schedule next Friday and will talk to all his academic teachers before school starts. But I think missing 3 days to get the experiences of a 9 day cruise at a time when we can actually afford to go is worth the possible drawbacks.

We've already researched and typed up reports on Dolphins (they're doing the dolphin swim), stingrays (swim with the stingrays) and Dunn's River Falls and Jamaican geography. We've also typed up a journal on the computer with all the formatting done so when they return they can each just type in and put pictures in under the headings to have a journal to share with their teachers and classmates. And in case you think I'm doing all the work, my 9 year old who can type 45 words a minute has been doing all the typing!

We have cabin 7388 with the huge aft balcony. We're bringing our laptop and will (hopefully) get internet access so they can keep in touch with their teachers. With a 12 hour drive in each direction and 4 sea days, they should have plenty of time to catch up on homework during the cruise. Laying out on the lounge chair watching the wake, ordering room service, and doing geometry. What more could you ask for!?

Hi Marciemi,

She starts school 9/9 and has a 1/2 day both 9/9 and 9/10. Then the next week, you are correct, she's off 2 days for the jewish holiday. So she'll only be missing 3 1/2 days of school. Funny thing is that our district isn't mainly jewish, so I don't know why they get off, but oh well, I'm using the days off to my advantage!

To Crusingfanatic,

Yes I'm taking her out of school and it's only 3 1/2 days of school. I'm a single parent and while I can afford a cruise, I can't afford it in peak times. She's a very smart student and in all honesty, they don't do anything the first two weeks of school (elementary). It's the same thing the last two weeks of school, they never do anything.

Marciemi again,

I'll check out the other posts. I'm goofing off in work right now, so I might just have to get back to work! I'll check out the Roll Call posts. You can also email me at the address below! You guys are being brave driving all the way from Michigan!

debbie

piginmud@yahoo.com

Archived