undecided HAL or RCL

mmp13

Unfortunately we cannot sail on Celebrity next fall as there are no ships sailing from the northeast and we like to avoid flying. We have booked a cruise on RCL's explorer of the seas but are now considering changing our plans and booking the Noordam. We absolutely love Celebrity so if anybody has sailed all three of the lines could give us some input we would really appreciate it

Peg, I would say to stay far far away from RCI's Explorer. If you are a fan of X, you will very likely not find this ship to your liking.

I have sailed multiple times on all three lines and I would absolutey choose the Noordam. SHe is the newest in HAL's Vista class of ships, a perfect size with not too many passengers and no crowded feeling. The service is excellent on HAL, as is the bedding. The cabins are nicer and larger in the lower categories than on RCI.

IMO, Explorer has all the charm of Mall of America. The Royal Promenade is the center point of the ship and, unless there is some motion at the time, you will feel like in a convention hotel. It is big, very popular with families, crowded and the food and service are no comparison to X or HAL.

Of all the classes in RCI's fleet, I would only recommend Radiance class. Even then, it is a far more casual experience in every aspect with adequate food and service and a non traditional atmosphere.

If you are wine drinkers, RCI has neither sommeliers nor does the staff how to properly serve wine. For me, this is important.

RCI is high energy with a friendly and enthusiastic staff. The evening entertainment is varied and good. The ships are clean and well maintained. If the other things do not matter, you might be fine with it.

For me, those ships are not appealing in any way.

JMHO.

HAL would be a closer match to what you enjoy on Celebrity.

Mall of America is a good analogy. The Voyager/Freedomw class vessels remind me of a floating Las Vegas hotel.

Noordam is a fabulous ship, btw. Enjoy!!

We changed our booking to the Oct 20th 2007 HAL cruise. thanks for your input. We got a great price and it is an 11 day cruise instead of a nine day cruise. Timing is also a little better. thanks for your help!

Archived