Isle Catalina - Just Back

CaribbeanBound

Isle Catalina, Dominican Republic

Catalina is a small island off the south shore of Dominican Republic. Upon arrival, the first tenders (lifeboats and larger local catamarans) to shore carried provisions for the day’s activities. The first passenger tenders left at 8:20am. It was a quick 5 minute cruise to the dock where we were greeted by 8 local dancers and musicians. This was a VERY nice touch.

Our large section of the island featured a beautiful white sand beach (about a half-mile expanse), palm trees, free beach chairs, and umbrellas. Snorkeling was available along the left side of the beach next to a 12-foot cliff. A BBQ lunch, featuring hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, chicken, salads, fruits, deserts, and drinks, was served beginning at 11:30am. Large tents with picnic tables were provided. No host bars, beach volleyball, and nice bathroom facilities were available. A quarter-mile walk past the restrooms to the old pier found you amongst cactus, scrub brush, lizards and nice views of the beach and ship.

We were not bothered by locals selling trinkets unless you ventured past security into the shopping hut area. Shops, numbered 1 to 15, were located on the far right side of the beach. They were very aggressive. “Come inside. No charge for look. For you best prices today. You are my first sale today”.

Tropical music played throughout our stay. Snorkeling was uneventful but the water was very clear and comfortable. We returned to the ship at 2:10 and received a cold towel to refresh ourselves upon arrival. This was a free Celebrity excursion and a very enjoyable day at that.

Complete review of recent 14-day / 9 port Caribbean cruise: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/zenith14.html

Looks like you beat me to this, CaribbeanBound!

This was my favorite island this time around. I really didn't have much info on it until the night before our visit when the waiter told about the BBQ, etc. being taken ashore for us.

Do you think it was kept quiet so we would book the ship's other excursions?? :confused:

The catamarans that took us ashore did it quickly and smoothly. The beach was right there where we disembarked. Food was only a few feet away. The "beach boys" even carried the FREE:) beach chairs,umbrellas, etc. wherever you wanted them placed. Snorkeling equipment was also 3 feet off the boardwalk (rental I think was $8.00...also water mats were the same).

The water was warm and beautiful. "lifeguards" whistled swimmers back to safety. They even helped "little old ladies" out of the water if they needed help.

Can't say enough about this great day (and it was FREE!!). Way to go Celebrity~:D

• 3 weeks later...

We also thoroughly enjoyed our day at the beach on Catalina. We walked a little farther away from the hubbub and found some free chairs under palm trees where it was quieter. It is not for us to hear loud music all day. There are toilets at the furthest away point as well as near the Tender dock.

The lunch was good. Umbrellas on the beach were charged for. Also, those who had a soda card were unable to use it here and had to pay for drinks. We brought cold water ashore in insulated cups and then had free soft drinks with the lunch, so it really was a FREE day.

Cinnamon

Hi all

Did anybody notice a "ferry shuttle" going over to Catalina from La Romana? We would like to go there again, but are docked in La Romana this time instead of tendered at Catalina. Thanks for any help!

Taf,

I have a feeling that the Catamarans that are used as tenders are the normal ferries from the mainland. I noticed as we prepared to sail away that they all returned back at the end of the day. Perhaps they only take people there when there is not cruise Ship in the bay. Just guessing though. Hopefully someone else may know more.

Cinnamon

Archived