Moral support needed!

alirat

I have been reading these threads for the practical help they give, thanks to all who contribute. I just need a bit of a 'leg up' in the moral support dept as for months now I have been looking forward to our cruise with the hope that I will be recovered enough from my accident not to require too much assistance. Well its a week away, we sail on the Tahitian Princess around French Polynesia, and I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I'm still not ok and can't walk any distance without severe pain.

I contacted my TA today to advise that we will be taking my WC after all. I feel very down and am having to rethink shore tours etc. I did only book 2 as I wasn't certain how things would go, but I was hoping that I would be OK. I'm hoping that another trip to the hospital on Wednesday will clarify exactly what has gone wrong with my foot. I had the screws taken out about 4 weeks ago after a fall fractured and dislocated my left foot and broke just 1 bone in my right.

I am determined to have a nice holiday no matter what, so I am fighting back the sad feelings. I also take courage from you folks, and there are plenty a lot worse off than me!

I have been cruising with a scooter for the past four years and I haven't missed taking an excursion in a single port! I do avoid ship sponsored tours and arrange private tours or "do it on my own" wherever possible because taxi and tour operators are usually quite accommodating and can get you closer to sites / sights. If you don't have prearranged tours, ask the taxi drivers at the dock if they can show you what you want to see and negotiate a price. If you have a companion to push your chair, you should do fine. Remember this is only a temporary situation for you. There are many of us that use a chair or scooter on a permanent basis.

Have a great cruise! The French Polynesian Islands are beautiful!

I have been reading these threads for the practical help they give, thanks to all who contribute. I just need a bit of a 'leg up' in the moral support dept as for months now I have been looking forward to our cruise with the hope that I will be recovered enough from my accident not to require too much assistance. Well its a week away, we sail on the Tahitian Princess around French Polynesia, and I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I'm still not ok and can't walk any distance without severe pain.

I contacted my TA today to advise that we will be taking my WC after all. I feel very down and am having to rethink shore tours etc. I did only book 2 as I wasn't certain how things would go, but I was hoping that I would be OK. I'm hoping that another trip to the hospital on Wednesday will clarify exactly what has gone wrong with my foot. I had the screws taken out about 4 weeks ago after a fall fractured and dislocated my left foot and broke just 1 bone in my right.

I am determined to have a nice holiday no matter what, so I am fighting back the sad feelings. I also take courage from you folks, and there are plenty a lot worse off than me!

The reason I love Tahiti on a cruise so much........ is that most of the beautiful view .......are from the ship.....:) Most of my best photos are take from the ship.

And when you get ashore, you do not have to go far to experience other beautiful sights.

I do sympathize..I know some of those excursions just look awesome. I use a wheelchair for any distance and a cane for shorter distances. I used wc almost entire cruise though since my balance stinks lol. I walk like a toddler just learning..arms outstretched just trying to balance on dry land..forget movement of a boat. It was still wonderful and am happy I can atleast still cruise so far. We did the shopping and paradise beach. The staff at paradise beach are extremely helpful and kind to those of us less fortunate. I was able to go in the ocean thanks to my hubby holding on to me . It felt wonderful cause the water wasn't cold..cold makes my neuropathy pain much worse. The waves were like heaven since I wasn't sure I would ever feel them again. Just enjoy yourself and let others wheel you around..makes them feel good to do it.

Thanks for your replies. I sure do appreciate the fact that some never can get out of their chairs! Being confined to a chair for the first few months after the injury gave me a keen appreciation of what others have to suffer.

Its a new day today and I feel a lot better. Not so sorry for myself!!! Its helpful to know how other folks enjoy their cruises despite the adversity of disability.

Love to you all

Don't forget to use the handi-capped line to board, it is one of the shortest lines going. I've always been first or second in line.

Sorry about the injuries. I know it can be hard planning your first cruise with a chair but it will be an adventure nonetheless.

If you need help with the discriptions of the tour come back and I am sure some of the above can tell you which are for you. I have never been there so I can not say which tour would be best.

You will find the staff very helpful at meal times. They will ensure you have sat down then take your chair away for you.

Just a suggestion, mark your chair well, ie put a sticker on it to identify it as yours (most wheelchair are black with big wheels). Also put a tag on it with your name and addy on it. This will help if someone takes your chair by mistake.

Question for Ruth Creasy:

You mention thatyou have cruised with your scooter for years. My hubby uses a Pride Rally but we have been stumped as to shore excursions. Are you generally able to find cabs/vans that can accomodate your scooter? We are going to St Maartan and I so want to see both sides of the island but haven't been able to find a tour that can handle the scooter. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Hi Alirat,

Here's hoping you have a GREAT time on your cruise!!! All of the webcams I see, of that South Pacific area, have such beautiful views....wow!

CaptData had a great idea about marking your chair. I use address labels, and just stick them everywhere........under the seat, under the arms, under the foot rests............some are visible and some are not..........just in case I should have to identify my chair. I also leave the airline tag on it, so it doesn't look like any old ship's chair.

I know you didn't ask me, jdh, but if your husband can transfer to a folding wheelchair, those can usually be put into the back of a taxi, and if he can climb two or three steps into a bus, the chair can be folded and put underneath. We have taken a ship's tour of St Marten in that manner. My scooter is too big to carry in the back of a cab, but I CAN climb up into a bus........slowly, but I can do it. (Of course, I have to come down backwards :)

JDH:

Can you can transfer to the seat of a taxi or van? If so, I would suggest taking a folding manual chair in addition to your scooter. Not only is it easier to fit into the trunk of a cab, but it gives you more flexibility when there are noo curb cuts and over rough terrain.

We always took 2 chairs for my husband: a power chair for aboard ship and a manual one for ports.

jdh ... yes, I am generally able to find taxis which can take my scooter, however, my Shoprider Scootie is smaller and lighter (73#) than the Pride Rally (142#). They usually have to remove the seat in a regular taxi, but not in a van. I do a lot of internet research and try to arrange private tours in advance. I email a photo of my scooter along with the dimensions and weight to find out if I can be accommodated. I have also inquired of taxi drivers at the port, with good succes, if they can accommodate me.

I also found taxi drivers willing to load my Rascal (163#) into the back of their van. They recruited help from 2-3 other drivers for loading, but I was confined to the van during the tour because he could not unload and reload it by himself. I got smart and got a more compact and lighter one for travel. Yes, I did have to sacrifice range and ground clearance, but I am able to do so much more.

I have not been to St Maarten since using my scooter so cannot give you any specific leads there. As others have suggested, as an alternative, you can use a manual chair for your shore excursions. That requires that you do some work pushing, but saves a lot of time researching.

My first trip with a scooter was an eye opener. I only saw on shore what I could take myself to and only then if there was a ramp to get in. I learned that ship personnel was very little help in finding accessible tours or transportation and that I needed to figure out ahead of time what my possibilities were.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Saw my surgeon yesterday and have a much better understanding of my physical situation now. I sometimes think the fears make the emotional state worse. I have osteoporosis in the bones of my left foot, so I have to exercise it but not overstress it as I could get stress fractures. Hence the chair. A cruise is really the ideal way to be able to relax and also have controlled exercise during my recuperation.

All the best to everyone and I'll report in after the cruise on how it went.

You're going to have a great time! Just getting out of the house, relaxing in the sun, enjoying the sea breeze, and being treated like a queen by staff. I have to say, carnival has some of the sweetest personnel on their staff. Genuinely caring, and I think esp for those of us physically challenged. They go out of their way to be helpful. My husband that tends to be controlling, felt at times like he had to fight to take care of me over them lol. He wasn't upset about it but very nervous when its anyone but him lol...typical man I think. This next trip he will have our sons helping him, I won't be able to sneeze I will be so overpowered lol.

Archived