How's the water

khicks1101

Can anyone tell me what the stratch of water between Australia and Noumea is like?

We are travelling just after XMAS 2007 and although looking forward to it, are a little apprehensive about what conditions we might encounter.

Would love to hear from you with your opinions or stories, also whether anyone has any tips on visiting the islands mentioned in my signature

Kevin

It's not usually too bad. Really is a personal thing. I have never found it to be rough but have heard others comment on the swell and a girlfriend quite ill for the trip. One occasion we couldn't see even a ripple in the water it was so calm.

The islands you are going to are lovely. Champagne Bay is an absolute delight. Beautiful colour and lovely just lazing around or you can go for a "taxi" (read ute/minivan) ride.

There is snorkelling at Isle of Pines, Champagne Bay and Wala. Not sure about Mystery Island it poured rain when I was there so most of it remains a mystery to me.

If you mean conditions as in mod cons etc, than then islands are fairly primative. Nice cold beer/soft drinks in eskys and some food. Toilet trip in Champagne Bay was an eye opener.

I hope you will love your cruise, I certainly have. Just don't expect the same luxury as the Grand Princess. The Aussie ships are not quite the same class but still are fun, clean comfortable and have the most lovely helpful staff. No bed making and cooking is wonderful.

Can anyone tell me what the stratch of water between Australia and Noumea is like?

We are travelling just after XMAS 2007 and although looking forward to it, are a little apprehensive about what conditions we might encounter.

Would love to hear from you with your opinions or stories, also whether anyone has any tips on visiting the islands mentioned in my signature

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise on "Sun Princess" . I agree with everything aussiedisney has told you, and you must remember the time of year you are travelling is the wet season.it will be humid in the northern areas. take an umbrella.

Sometimes it can be a bit rough on your return from Noumea to Sydney.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Just reread your cruise signature and realised that you are still on one of the US ships. So you don't need to worry about my comments on our ships.

Cheers for that aussiedisneyfan. The Sun Princess is being used by P&O for a short while in 2007.

I like the Princess ships as the cabins tend to be larger than on the P&O range.

I appreciate your comments on the seas around there.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise on "Sun Princess" . I agree with everything aussiedisney has told you, and you must remember the time of year you are travelling is the wet season.it will be humid in the northern areas. take an umbrella.

Sometimes it can be a bit rough on your return from Noumea to Sydney.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Thanks Lorraine we appreciate your comments.

Immediately you have reminded us not to forget the umbrellas, we used to live in Darwin but have been in Sydney too long now to remember the obvious.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

We cruised two months ago, in September.

We copped terrible weather, so bad that Sydney closed their port an hour after we departed. It rained the whole time.

We found the weather leaving and coming back into Sydney the roughest- I was sick for the first two days at sea and put it down to not being used to sailing but on the last two days back from Noumea, heading to Sydney, we were sick again, so it was the sea.

Hi Kevin,

We cruised two months ago, in September.

We copped terrible weather, so bad that Sydney closed their port an hour after we departed. It rained the whole time.

We found the weather leaving and coming back into Sydney the roughest- I was sick for the first two days at sea and put it down to not being used to sailing but on the last two days back from Noumea, heading to Sydney, we were sick again, so it was the sea.

Please, not on your honeymoon you poor things. And congratulations guys.

Thanks for the news, fingers and toes are going to be crossed I think. I will definitely hit the doctor for advice for a reputable seasick pill in case.

Cheers

Please, not on your honeymoon you poor things. And congratulations guys.

Thanks for the news, fingers and toes are going to be crossed I think. I will definitely hit the doctor for advice for a reputable seasick pill in case.

Cheers

Thankyou! :)

I would try and ride it out- I think if you can get through the first two days, you will be right for the main part of the cruise.

I took Kwells and although they prevented me from throwing up, I still felt kind of weird and gurgly in the belly, if you know what I mean, lol.

Hubby was sick twice coming back from Noumea and threw up in the bathroom sink and clogged it! It was so embarrassing to tell the steward.

Apparently our conditions were bad even by the Captain's standards- he said he fell out of his bunk twice during the first night! :eek:

You know what though? It's like you hear women who have had babies say that you forget the pain and discomfort because they're so happy to finally see their baby?

Going on a cruise is like that.

You forget it all, it's not as bad as you thought it was in the moment and you cant wait to do it again! :D

Once onboard you can visit the doctor too (for a fee) and the injection is very good. My girlfriend felt much better after having. She ended up having a second one at the end of the cruise. You can usually claim it on your travel insurance too.

I just spotted your 4 cruises this year, now tell the truth are you addicted, lol

Thankyou! :)

You know what though? It's like you hear women who have had babies say that you forget the pain and discomfort because they're so happy to finally see their baby?

Going on a cruise is like that.

You forget it all, it's not as bad as you thought it was in the moment and you cant wait to do it again! :D

I know what you mean we went on our first cruise in 2005 on the Mediterranean and we are hooked.

Kerry gets a bit seasick and I got seasick only once in my life, but we worry about my daughter who is only 6yo, and how she will react, although she will probably handle it better than both of us.

Funnily enough, on our honeymoon my wife was sick for 3 days from sun and wind burn, well funny now anyway.:D

Hi tinalou (and all other cruisers of N627)

I found this filming of your cruise (N627) leaving Sydney Heads and how rough it was. No wander you were sick.

I hope this link works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68oiJcol0w

Karen:)

Thanks for sharing Karen!

I felt nauseous just watching it! :eek:

It certainly shocked me because we knew it was a little rough, but we didnt realise quite how much! :eek:

At the time that video was taken, we were in the dining room having dinner. We were looking out the windows watching the Heads go by and it was like a seasaw. Someone had to close the curtains because it was making a lot of people sick to see how much we were swaying.

Our cruise in April/May was mostly calm seas all the way but it was rougher coming back into Sydney which I didn't mind as I wanted to see what it was like. I don't get seasick fortunately but then again I haven't experienced it as rough as that video, yet!

Our cruise in April/May was mostly calm seas all the way but it was rougher coming back into Sydney which I didn't mind as I wanted to see what it was like. I don't get seasick fortunately but then again I haven't experienced it as rough as that video, yet!

Thanks for that, I see you booked on the 75th Ann cruise, we originally reserved a suite on that one and then changed our minds as the timing was a bit askew.

We then almost booked on the Dawn on 27 Dec2007 until we saw the Sun Princess was cruising on the 28 Dec 2007. I am partial to Princess ships so it was a bonus plus the timing means I celebrate my birthday and New Years on board.:D

Ill post a bit of advice my grandfather gave me before my first cruise:

Dont you ever let anyone tell you that a big ship dont rock

Also dont tease people about being seasick on the first night of a cruise, karma catches up with you by the next morning and you feel worse than they did.

• 2 months later...
I will definitely hit the doctor for advice for a reputable seasick pill in case.

Cheers

Kevin, I have a "souvenir" box of that travelcalm left over from the Pan Pharmacutical dramas a few years ago. The only pill that was taken knocked Barb out for a day and a half - talk about super strength!!

I think your Doc may have a more reliable pill though.

Hi tinalou (and all other cruisers of N627)

I found this filming of your cruise (N627) leaving Sydney Heads and how rough it was. No wander you were sick.

I hope this link works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68oiJcol0w

Karen:)

This is a wild ride, and an excellent vid. I remember a rough ride inside the heads on the Manly ferry during a big southerly. I was only young, but it is embedded.

Off Topic - Does anyone else remember the music from that video? :eek:

It isnt "Yellow Rose of Texas", but has it's connections! :D

Kevin

wet!

Archived