Tahitian Princess - Wine

ciana

HI. Does anyone know whether there is a spot near the dock in Papeete to buy wine to take on board? We like to have a pre-dinner drink on our balcony and so would like to have some in our cabin. Otherwise we will have to take it in our luggage.

Thanks for your help!

:)

We found a very small variety of wine in Papette. We did purchase one bottle and when we opened it, it had a terrible smell, almost like vinegar. They don't have a lot of wine that we could find, so you might want to consider buying it onboard or find other means.

The grocery stores sell wine. There is a grocery store on the back street(several blocks from the one near the ship), the letrucks run on this street so if there are no letrucks going back and forth on it you are on the wrong one. Then when you get to that street you have to go to your right and maybe a 1/4 mile or so and the groc. store will be on your right. Nothing is cheap there. It may be better to see if you can order wine as a gift.

I found a wine store not too far away and was able to purchase a few bottles. That was in 2003. I wrote a review back then, but doubt that it is around here anywhere.

I think if you can go to that downtown market (Marche) and ask around someone should be able to point you to a wine store. We found the people to be very helpful. The store we went to had mostly only French wine - and I'm not that familiar with much French wine, so it was more difficult to select. However, most bottles were over $20, so probably wasn't worth the effort to get to the store - would have been better off just selecting from the wine list on the ship (although it was nice to have it in my room for a pre-dinner drink).

While you're there in that open air mart, be sure to buy some flowers to take with you on the ship. We bought some for around $15 (would have cost over $100 back in LA) and they lasted the entire trip - adding a great fragrance and beauty to the room.

Enjoy your trip - it was one of the most memorable of our lives. If you want a copy of my old notes, I would be happy to forward them.

Archived