Garment bags?

vpoopsy

The Holland America website does not show any restrictions on carry on bags. I not sure what they'd do if the piece would not fit through their xray machine at the pier. But these machines are the same size as the ones in airports so a fair size piece goes through.

The individual airlines restrict the number and size of carry on luggage pieces for flights within the United States. Based on your signature it looks like you're on a caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam so I don't think the international bag size restriction would affect you as you are not travel through the United Kingdom.

You might want to check out the airlines website. Sorry I couldn't give you any definites.

Hi vpoopsey,

We've always traveled with a rolling garment bag. I don't know if you're asking about it as a carry-on or are planning to check it. We check ours.

The cruise lines don't limit your luggage it's an airline thing and check-ins for most are limited to # and size. Length width and depth together can't exceed 62 inches. Carry-ons are 45 inches.

Seeing you live in Tulsa, if you want to email me at grannynurse@cox.net, I'll give you my phone number if you want to ask any HAL questions.

GN

thanks, Grannynurse. I might take you up on that offer!! We've done a couple other cruises, so we're not rookies, but things have changed alot since our last one.

We'll be checking our garment bag. Just seems we need one to pack all our "formal stuff".

There are garment bags (little bags) and then there are Garment Bags (forklift capacity :D ). Occasionally we'll take a garment bag (lightweight nylon cover) on a flight with just a couple of things in it. That we carry on the plane, normally without any problem, as it easily folds and can be put in the overhead. Though I've seen other folks do it I'd never check these with the porter at the cruise terminal. Too light for the handling they'd get from the dock to the cabin. When we go cruising it's time to roll out the Garment Bags. Now these are just one step short of a steamer trunk (OK...not quite...but they're both the "3 suiter" models with wheels) and there's no way I'd think to carry these onto an airplane. We use them for cruise formal/informal wear and we check them at the terminal for loading by the terminal/ship staff.

For some reason, I thought I had read that you can't take garment bags on a plane or maybe on the ship. Can anyone help?

I believe that you cannot check the el-cleapo plastic "garmet bags" that have the hangers sticking out the top. However I have carried those on before.

Maybe that's what I read that you can't have the hangers sticking out. Ours is a nice one that you hang the clothes inside, then can fold over and carry like a suitcase.

Grannynurse,

I'm new to HAL, but have been on Princess and Carnival. I'm a "newbie" compared to you!

Archived