Another TWO THUMBS UP for Phil Lafayette

J Mack

My husband and I booked with Phil for our trip to Jamaica last week. HE WAS FANTASTIC! I can't say enough about him. He met us promptly at the pier, loaded us into his nice, air conditioned van. We had a full house, it was us, another couple, and a small group who all knew each other.... great folks, all of 'em! Phil's beautiful and helpful daughter also came with us (she was just a doll, smart and friendly as her dad!).

Phil's knowledge of Jamaica is amazing. And there wasn't a flower or leaf that they couldn't tell us about (and, I'm really not "into" flowers or any such thing).

Dunn's River Falls was as breathtaking as you can imagine. Pictures do not do it justice. I'm not in the best physical shape ever, so I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it all the way up, but with every step, you become empowered! It's really amazing. There are few places for photo opps (we were suprised to see a picture of us on the ship's wall, we didn't even realize that one of the photographers was from the cruiseline!). Amazing. AND, if you get overwhelmed, you can exit and take the stairs (grueling as well, I'm sure!). I did fall a few times (the guy in front of me was much more concerned about his wife in front of him - totally understandable - but made for a rough walk for me since I then acted as the guide for those behind me!) But it was ok. Whenever I felt "stuck", one of the guides or videographers would help me along (they are available to videotape your group and sell you the DVD at the end - I think some folks in the group with us bought it, I think it was $20, a good deal if you know the others in your group!!).

After the Falls, there is a small shopping area. Very aggressive sales people, and my husband has no patience for that, so we just walked by and I kept saying "no, thank you". It was not scary at all, we were not threatened in any way. The very last "booth" had a beautiful woman who sat and simply said "please, have a look if you'd like.... a different place, a different attitude....".... I wanted to go in and buy something just for that! ;)

Ok, so the Falls were excellent!

Now, back to the bus for more touring, and then to the White River for tubing. Beware, this is NOT a lazy river type of tubing! The water was fast and crazy, and it was fun fun fun! A few people dumped off their tubes, but the guides (four of them) were right there to help them back on and get them on their way. Truely beautiful and lots of fun! About half way down, you get off the tubes and look at pictures that they've taken (photographic evidence of a fat lady in a bathing suit? no thanks, mon!). Then, they took us to a cliff, I think they said it was about 20 feet up, and let you jump off. Crazy, right? I was thinking, "what if I break my leg, we're in the middle of no where with four kids, what can they do???"... my husband and two other men jumped, then I did. IT WAS GREAT!! Sometimes you just have to do something that scares the you know what out of you, just to say you did it, ya know? I figured, when will I ever be in Jamaica and able to jump off a cliff again? I just did it. I'm glad I did.... but please don't tell my kids! ;)

Then, back to the tubes for the rest of the trip. Fantastic.

The group opted to take a tour of Jamaica instead of eating or changing our clothes, and Phil was happy to oblige.

Saw some very poor conditions, sadder to see in person than to hear about on these boards... very sad. Was also not prepared for the wild dogs which seemed to be everywhere.

Phil deposited us back at the pier after our tour (but was willing to take us shopping, or whatever). He was amazing. Please book with him and you will not be sorry! He's one of those people you meet and will never forget. He has us walking slow and talking fast, mon.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that I might not have covered. I'm suffering from post-cruise depression here.... ;)

Cheers!

Jennifer

Archived