Interesting Upsell Call

heelfan94

I had a message when I got home from work today. NCL wanted to offer an upsell from oceanview to balcony on our January Dream cruise. It sounds like a good deal. The oceanview is $979 and they want to upsell to a balcony for $125 per person. The difference when I look online is $740. The interesting part is that I haven't booked the cabin yet. I put it on hold this morning so I could talk to my husband about it. I didn't think upsells were possible until it was paid for. I guess I've learned something new today. :)

That's a new one to me too, I have never heard about someone getting an upsell call before they even booked!

They won't - My guess someone at NCL realized they could book the balcony for the difference and called. The upsell desk will not touch a reservation until 48 hours after it is paid for and final.

It turns out by the end of the call that she didn't realize I had only put the cabin on hold using the old ncl web site. I hadn't known I could do it until the last week or so. Anyway, we had already worked out the upsell and picked a cabin (she took about fifteen minutes to find just the right one, which I appreciated) and she took my payment in full. I think I would have gotten the call either way. I've been watching this ship and date for a couple of weeks now. There's been no real movement in CC or BA cabins so I figured I would be offered an upsell. I put the CC on hold thinking it would be the case.

Now I'm booking a return flight from Houston and trying to figure out if I can make a 9:54 am. I don't know how far the port is from the airport. We can do the express disembark if we have to.

It turns out by the end of the call that she didn't realize I had only put the cabin on hold using the old ncl web site. I hadn't known I could do it until the last week or so. Anyway, we had already worked out the upsell and picked a cabin (she took about fifteen minutes to find just the right one, which I appreciated) and she took my payment in full. I think I would have gotten the call either way. I've been watching this ship and date for a couple of weeks now. There's been no real movement in CC or BA cabins so I figured I would be offered an upsell. I put the CC on hold thinking it would be the case.

Now I'm booking a return flight from Houston and trying to figure out if I can make a 9:54 am. I don't know how far the port is from the airport. We can do the express disembark if we have to.

Which Houston Airport? Hobby or Bush? Hobby is 20 miles and at least 30 minutes away, Bush is more like 40 miles and at least an hour away. It'll take an hour before US Customs clears the ship for disembarkation, and you should arrive at either airport an hour early. You'll be cutting it razor close if the Dream docks by 7:00 am, and disembarkation starts by 8:00 am, but that depends upon which airport, specifically using Hobby. The Dream is scheduled to arrive at 8:00 am. If it doesn't arrive early, meaning arriving as scheduled, you'll probably will miss your flight at both airports. If it arrives late, you'll definately will miss your flight.

Almost all travel insurance companies suggest at least 4 hours of padding between legs, why do so many ignore them? The earliest flight I would suggest you "might" make at Bush will be 11:00 am, that you will probably make will be at noon. And only 30 minutes sooner at Hobby than at Bush.

Thanks for the info on airports. We made it back to Miami on the same timetable on the Sun, and made a 10:00 flight last time. I thought it might be the same in Houston but I've never been before. :)

But the Miami airport is only 10 miles or so away from the cruise piers.

You're best chance is with a Hobby departure that early in the day from Houston. I don't believe you can make a 10 am departure.

I really appreciate the input. My family and I don't travel very often so instead of it being about me ignoring guidelines when it comes to time allowed, it's more about me not knowing them at all. We learn each time, though. And thanks to CC I'm now looking at later flights back. :)

I thought they did not call until final payment as well but I received an upsell offer on the Jewel for Jan 21st 1 week before my final payment was due and paid. Of course I took it! They asked for my credit card and just charged me the upsell payment and a week later I made my final payment. Maybe they changed their policy?

They won't - My guess someone at NCL realized they could book the balcony for the difference and called. The upsell desk will not touch a reservation until 48 hours after it is paid for and final.

I recieved an upsell call 4 hours after I booked our recent Dream Cruise. It happens...

Archived