Amtrack train

DisneyScrapper

how far in advance should you buy the tickets for Amtrack? We're actually really excited about beginning and ending our trip on the train! I'm thrilled that the scenery will be so beautiful, can't think of a better way to start or end a vacation!

Good question! Guess I can't really make Amtrak reservations yet since Southwest Airlines hasn't released their schedule through June yet. And, I think they may be the lowest price for our flights.

This train to Vancouver just about always sells out. So you could book as soon as your dates are firm. Won't matter if you have your flights or not- your cruise date is known isn't it???

Yes, I guess that's right. Was thinking that I needed to coordinate the flight arrival/departure times with the train. But, due to Amtrak schedule we will probably have to overnight in Seattle both before and after the trip. Since the air travel will be on completely different days than the train travel, guess the air arrival/departure just doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

The only train from Seattle to Vancouver leaves at 7:45 A.M. The other times shown are transfers by bus. So yes, you do need an overnight in Seattle.

The return trip to Seattle doesn't leave until around 6 in the evening. We took Amtrak to Vancouver and then used QuickShuttle for our transfer back to Seattle since we didn't want to have to stay another night in Seattle or have a really late flight back home.

I just looked on the Delta site and they still have the $172 from Ft. Laud to Seattle for that price. Of course it's only 1 way not round trip.

Thanks everyone for there input and I'm going to get myself signed up for the Fare Watch also.

Getting really excited about putting this whole trip together now. This board has been really great with the help.

Oh, from your post I assumed it was round trip..... Even so, when I checked today, it was $300-ish for RT.

Thanks Creddick for your post about Amtrak. After reading it I started thinking instead of flying to Seattle and then take the train to Vancouver why not take Amtrak all the way from San Diego to Vancouver. We are now booked and have a roomette. I'm as excited about the train ride as I am about the cruise.

We decided to take the bus back from Vancouver to Seattle so we can arrive sooner and spend a couple of days in Seattle and then we will fly home. Only flying one way is great for me since I hate to fly.

Thanks again

Lynn

Thanks Creddick for your post about Amtrak. After reading it I started thinking instead of flying to Seattle and then take the train to Vancouver why not take Amtrak all the way from San Diego to Vancouver. We are now booked and have a roomette. I'm as excited about the train ride as I am about the cruise.

Thanks again

Lynn

This trip is quite a trip. I did the N. Bound from Oakland. You should be aware that the equipmemnt used by Amtrak on this route is old and the roomettes are quite small. Also at any elevation the flushers do not function in the washrooms. The tracks are not smooth and reminded us of how the "Hogwarts Express" may have behaved. It also normally runs way late.

That being said it was an experience and if we had been forwarned as you have it would have been much more enjoyable.

The food was ok and seating arrangements meant meeting new people every meal.

We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza a nice hotel.

The train from Seattle north is great as I said here before, with just the tracks in Canada a little like being at sea again.

But you're doing this before your cruise aren't you?

Cheers.

LeftcoastBC,

Thanks for the information. How long ago did you do this train trip?

We will only be on the train one night and 2 days so as long as they have a bar car we should be ok, but what you wrote does have me a little worried especially about the non flushing toilets!!!!!!!!!!!

What were the things that you did enjoy about the train ride?

Lynn

Our trian trip was from East Lansing, Michigan, to Vancouver, via Seattle. We took Amtrak all the way as the Canadian train was almost 3 times as much. The train we took, train 7 and 8, the Empire Builder, has been remodeled. It was very nice but the rooms are small. We got a bedroom not a roomette. It had its own toilet, shower, etc. If you would like to see pictures of the train trip, visit my webshots site. I have posted the link for you. There ar also pictures of our Alaska cruise on Serenade of the Seas, however, I do not have all of them posted yet. Still, you'll get the idea.

The Crowne Plaza is a great hotel too. I think you'll really like it. If you're staying in Vancouver, check out the Times Square Suites. It is a wonderful little hotel at a very good price. http://www.timessquaresuites.com

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554419312tNrDOb?vhost=good-times

I too have taken the Coast Starlight, San Diego to Portland. Do not count on it being on time, can run into significant delays which they can't seem to ever make up. One trip was over 8 hours late. Going through the Cascades is just spectacular. Amtrak is ok with time. A lot of scenery isn't all that nice on some routes, but this is a winner.

LeftcoastBC,

Thanks for the information. How long ago did you do this train trip?

We will only be on the train one night and 2 days so as long as they have a bar car we should be ok, but what you wrote does have me a little worried especially about the non flushing toilets!!!!!!!!!!!

What were the things that you did enjoy about the train ride?

Lynn

Trip was a year ago September.....

the high area through Oregon is pretty. Schedule means of course quite a bit in the dark.

It really is a great trip I didn't want to scare you off or anything just being forwarned is all that we would have liked. I guess we had a room cause it had it's own shower (this is where all the old RCCL ships got their hugging curtains from, it is tiny!!! lol) and toilet (all one unit). The problems with the flush sysem is Altitude and compressors (according to the old train guy aboard) Just use yours at sea level and all will be OK. When at elevation wander the train a bit and find a usable one in coach or somewhere. When you come down off the plateau again in northern Oregon all will be well.

The trip from Seattle North is best of all.

I would also think that your southern part would be quite interesting. You certainly see a different world from a train.

PS I just looked at the pictures of Creddick. I take it all back we did not have anything that looked llike that must have been a roomette we had :) Their washroom looks huge and obviously way newer than the equipment we had

Thanks for all the information. I will look at it as a adventure and I'm sure it will be fun and when we finally get to Vancouver and on the ship we have a cabin with a extra large balcony so we will be fine.

We are scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 8:45 pm and we are going to book a very cheap room for that night since we have to leave on the train for Vancouver at 7:40am. If the trains runs real late we will just sleep on board and skip the hotel.

Lynn

Thanks for all the information.

If the trains runs real late we will just sleep on board and skip the hotel.

Lynn

:) Gee don't do that as it's the one that goes south in the Morning. You still want to go north to Canada Right :D ??

Enjoy the planning. I'm sure you'll have a great time we did.

Does the train from Seattle to Vancover run on time. We are planning on using the train for our May trip. Our ship will be leaving on Saturday May 12th. We were hoping to get the train that morning of the 12th and then go from train station to boat. Do you think this would be cutting it too close. We will be arriving in Seattle on the afternnon of the 10th. Daughter wants to do some sightseeing in Seattle before cruise.

Of all the methods of getting up here from Seattle I would put this as #2

behind only driving myself.

Of course sometimes things happen but even so you are not that far off the beaten path that you couldn't get to another mode somehow in a community along I-5 and still make it to the ship. Lots of time to spare.

Does the train from Seattle to Vancover run on time. We are planning on using the train for our May trip. Our ship will be leaving on Saturday May 12th. We were hoping to get the train that morning of the 12th and then go from train station to boat. Do you think this would be cutting it too close. We will be arriving in Seattle on the afternnon of the 10th. Daughter wants to do some sightseeing in Seattle before cruise.

This train only runs between Seattle and Vancouver. It is not a long distance train that can get hours and hours behind. Good arrival stats within an hour. Expect delays. :) You can take either a cab or skytrain to Canada Place.

We took the train the day of our cruise. There is always a slight risk to that, but we arrived right on time even though we did have to stop twice to let other trains pass. The train arrived around 11:45 I think and our ship didn't leave until 5. The station is only a short cab right to either pier in Vancouver.

Archived