Tendering at alternate site at Spotts

drew sailbum

The weather this week in the island reminds me to remind the Cruise Critic readers that occasionally ships must use an alternate tendering site in Grand Cayman.

In the winter months occasional weather fronts can bring winds from the northwest making the seas far too rough to tender to shore in the normal Georgetown harbour. On those days some ships may choose to skip the port altogether, but some ships will choose to tender at the alternate location at Spotts on Cayman's south shore.

If your ship tenders to Spotts you will come ashore in a commercially undeveloped part of Grand Cayman. Many buses will swarm around the area to take you into Georgetown, but there really isn't anything within walking distance.

On such days, the seas along Seven Mile Beach (including Sea Grape and Public Beach) will be very rough! Swimming is not advised.

In Georgetown, the shops may actually be less crowded, since some cruisers will choose not to come ashore. However, beware of waves crashing against the seawall in Hog Sty Bay by the tender piers. These waves may be forceful enough to knock you down and the wet pavement can be slipperly!

Be sure to allow extra time for returning to the landing. Traffic sometimes becomes snarled, and lines to board the tenders can still be long.

Enjoy these days in Cayman. I enjoy having lunch at one of the restaurants in Georgetown overlooking the raging sea.

The weather this week in the island reminds me to remind the Cruise Critic readers that occasionally ships must use an alternate tendering site in Grand Cayman.

In the winter months occasional weather fronts can bring winds from the northwest making the seas far too rough to tender to shore in the normal Georgetown harbour. On those days some ships may choose to skip the port altogether, but some ships will choose to tender at the alternate location at Spotts on Cayman's south shore.

If your ship tenders to Spotts you will come ashore in a commercially undeveloped part of Grand Cayman. Many buses will swarm around the area to take you into Georgetown, but there really isn't anything within walking distance.

On such days, the seas along Seven Mile Beach (including Sea Grape and Public Beach) will be very rough! Swimming is not advised.

In Georgetown, the shops may actually be less crowded, since some cruisers will choose not to come ashore. However, beware of waves crashing against the seawall in Hog Sty Bay by the tender piers. These waves may be forceful enough to knock you down and the wet pavement can be slipperly!

Be sure to allow extra time for returning to the landing. Traffic sometimes becomes snarled, and lines to board the tenders can still be long.

Enjoy these days in Cayman. I enjoy having lunch at one of the restaurants in Georgetown overlooking the raging sea.

How was the weather today,, Tuesday, nov. 21 ?.. hopefully improved from the past few days

How was the weather today,, Tuesday, nov. 21 ?.. hopefully improved from the past few days

Today was W - I - N - D - Y ! Northwest winds around 25kts pushed seas to 6ft and more in Georgetown and forced cruise ships to the Spotts site for the second day running. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Fortunately in such weather the Spotts site is glassy smooth for an easy ride into shore.

I was reading on the RCI board that Freedom of the seas will not be stopping in GC tomorrow because of the weather. Does anyone know how often this occurs? I am also curious who decides if a port is cancelled. Is is soley up to the captain? We will be on the Voyager of the Seas December 2nd and are really looking forward to visiting Stingray City. I am going to be so bummed if it is cancelled!! :(

My Wife and I had planned to do a few snorkle sights close to shore on our one day in G.C. If the wind is out of the N.W. are there any close to shore snorkle spots at Spotts:rolleyes: ( no Pun intended) Please let me know.

We really want to snorkle while there and will book an excursion if needed. Although we would prefer to just snorkle from shore. :)

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Ultimately it is up to the captain of the ship (following procedures outlined by the cruise line) and the Port Authority. The captain can decide to not make the stop, or the Port Authority can decide that it is too dangerous to tender passengers and close the port.

The alternate landing facility at Spotts cannot handle as many ships as in Georgetown. That may mean that certain ships get to make a call on Cayman and others cannot.

For snorkelling options on those blustery north wind days... head east into Bodden Town. You'll need a taxi or catch one of the island minibuses. Ask the driver to drop you off where "The Edge" restaurant used to be. (The foundation is all that is left after a hurricane). You can catch a bus back. Note that there are no restroom facilities at this location!

Ultimately it is up to the captain of the ship (following procedures outlined by the cruise line) and the Port Authority. The captain can decide to not make the stop, or the Port Authority can decide that it is too dangerous to tender passengers and close the port.

The alternate landing facility at Spotts cannot handle as many ships as in Georgetown. That may mean that certain ships get to make a call on Cayman and others cannot.

For snorkelling options on those blustery north wind days... head east into Bodden Town. You'll need a taxi or catch one of the island minibuses. Ask the driver to drop you off where "The Edge" restaurant used to be. (The foundation is all that is left after a hurricane). You can catch a bus back. Note that there are no restroom facilities at this location!

from what i hear, only 3 ships can be accommodated at Spotts and it goes by rotation.. do you know if on those blustery days, even if you can tender at spotts if the sting ray tours would be canceled or is that on the lee side?

last week there was someone on Freedom of the Seas that was to be married in Grand Caymen, never happened..as they couldn't get into either side.. some of the wedding party was already on the island :(.. from what I understand the Freedom's captain performed a ship ceremony.. not sure if its binding or not.. lol

from what i hear, only 3 ships can be accommodated at Spotts and it goes by rotation.. do you know if on those blustery days, even if you can tender at spotts if the sting ray tours would be canceled or is that on the lee side?

3 does seem to be the limit.

Ships only tender at Spotts in a north or northwest wind. For those wind directions, you would need fairly light winds to still be able to go out to the Stingrays.

The ship sponsored tours have been cancelled pretty much all week, though a few private operators did go out one day. That was enough to provoke an article in today's paper decrying an anything-for-a-dollar perception of a few tour operators.

It looks like things are blown out again today, Friday the 24th, with one ship in at Spotts.

Archived