Catamaran with a toddler???

fauxpaz

My husband, daughter (18 months) and I are going on an E. Carib. cruise that includes Barbados. The cruise offers a catamaran excusion to swim with the turtles. It sounds neat and the cruise line did not list an age minimum.

My questions is: Is a catamaran save for an 18 month old. I have never been on one and from pictures they look much different than a regular boat. I know she can't swim, but we figured my husband and I can take turns snorkling.

Can anyone give me any imput on this.

Thanks!

They are flat so if you decide to take your daughter try and sit in the middle of the Cat. and she would have to be held at all times, there really is no room fro her to move and walk around so she may get a little antsy by the end.

I would call and ask directly if she will be able to go AND if they will have a life vest available in her size or if you must bring our own.

Let us know how it turns out and have a great cruise:)

Definatly call and ask if there is a minimum age. On RCCL, Disney and Carnival excursions, it always lists the minimum...or like on Carnival, it lists a "bottle" sign which means kids under 3 are welcome and free.

You don't want to pay for it, then have them deny you boarding at the excursion.

You know your daughter best, but I'd be uncomfortable taking a toddler on a catamaran - and I don't tend to be a worrier. I just know that sometimes those boats can be rocky, and since there's no inside area, you would have to hold her the entire time to make sure she didn't fall over. I don't use those "leashes", but this might be one scenario where they'd add a level of safety. If she's ok sitting in your lap for an extended amount of time, she might really like the experience.

Have a great time in any case!

Best,

Mia

Archived