Past Freedom Senior Cruisers

I would like to know what your thoughts and opinions were about the ship. Being that I am cruising with my DM, DF, MIL, and FIL, they have questioned how they, as seniors, are going to be able to enjoy such a family-themed ship. So I was curious to know what experiences you have had.

Thanks for all of your help!

I'm not a senior, but I think I can answer your question. Your signature indicates that you have sailed on the Adventure. The Freedom is not really that different from any of the Voyager class ships. The only additional family oriented features are the H2O zone and the flowrider. The layout of the ship is the same as a Voyager class ship. That being said, I think the experience that seniors have on the ship will depend on how many kids are on board the week you sail. I was on Freedom last week and there were 300 kids on board. On a ship that size you don't really notice them so if the seniors don't want to be around kids it's not a real problem. If you're sailing during a week that school is out the expereince will be different with the ship packed with kids. I was on the Explorer the week before the Freedom and there were over 700 kids on board and they were very visible and there were some problems. I think a lot of the adults on board were not very happy. Overall, if you think the seniors would enjoy a ship like the Adventure they should enjoy the Freedom.

We are both 55+ and we had a ball! Many older than us were swimming away in the Solarium (adult pool area) and enjoying the crepes they serve there. Then the Promenade with the shops & more free restaurants. The parades (one at 11:30PM & one at 5:30PM) The ice shows, the theatre, just so much to do & see. Take a highlighter so they can mark everything everyday in the compass so they know what they are doing all day & see how fast a day goes when you are having fun. Mini golf is one fabulous course & not easy!

This is a beautiful ship but as a senior with arthritis in my hips, boy is it a long way to the elevators I have never walked soooo much as on that ship.

Since I flew across country and back I was a mess by the time I got back to the west coast.

If I ever go again with my family daughters, grandchildren ect. I will have a cabin close to the elevator.

My husband and I just booked a cabin on a smaller class ship as he has

2 knee replacements and no way, no how could he walk the Freedom.

She is beautiful though and I am glad I had the cruise.

Lois

Voyager and Freedom class ships are indeed big. There will be a lot of walking from one end to the other if you take in a variety of activities. My wife suffers from a variety of joint ailments, yet NOS is one of her favorite ships and our one night on the Freedom was an experience not to be missed!

Thanks everyone for your information! :)

Did you all, as seniors, find that there was enough to keep you busy? Or did you find that most things were geared towards families with children? I have told them that there are things for all ages groups, but all they seem to be seeing is the Flowrider and the H2O Zone.

Hubby and I are both 63. Does that qualify as seniors? We both loved Freedom of the Seas and we sailed in early June when the ship was fully loaded with kids and teens. I did not mind at all. I loved watching the kids and others test their skill in the Flow Rider. I never tired of it and laughed and laughed.

The ice skating show and the theater production shows were spectacular, unlike any I have seen on a ship. We also loved sitting in the coffee shop/book store in the Prominade shopping street, snacking on sandwiches and watching folks pass by and watching guys gets shaves and haircuts in the barber shop. Do not ask me why that was fascinating, but it was.

I thought the H2O Zone for kids was fabulous and wished I was a kid again to splash around there. In fact. I wish my sons could have had a chance to play in such a place when they were little.

Here's a statistic that may help you decide if the ship is too strenuous for seniors or for passengers with physical challenges. I normally walk about 8000 to 10,000 steps a day as measured by my Sportline pedometer. On Freedom, I averaged 18,000 steps on a typical day but reached 22,000 the day we went into Grand Cayman. Yes, I was pretty darned tired every night. Yes, my feet and my broke-down ankle were aching by day's end.

But passengers don't have to act like we did, running all over the ship, exploring every nook and cranny, taking every shore excursion. Find comfy places to sit and take it easy. Don't get in a rush. Get to shows early and relax. Let the shows clear out before attempting to leave with the crowd.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we have booked a cruise on Liberty. I don't care if the ship is full of kids. They have so much to do on the ship and they pretty much stay out of people's way.

Rapsodyme...

My husband and I are sailing on the Freedom in a aft cabin in January. We have one of the corner cabins on Deck 7. By chance were you in one of those cabins as well? Any photos of the interior or the cabin or of the balcony? Any other thoughts you'd like to share other than it being a long way from the elevators?

I'm sure you will have a great time. Personally, however, I found the ship to be way too big for my tastes and doubt we will consider sailing her or any other Freedom-class ship.

The added activities and shows were nice, but because of the number of people onboard, some of the things we enjoy doing, had to change venues. For example, the 70's/80's night is done as a Street Dance in the Promenade. While this sounded cool, it was more of a mob scene and there really wasn't anywhere to just sit and watch. The repeater's cocktail party was done in the ice rink area. This stadium seating is not really conducive to a cocktail party as you had to step over everyone in the row you were in to go out and dance or partake in the appetizers tables.

The shows were awesome and all ages will enjoy them. The H2O zone was awesome because it truly kept the kids in that section of the pool area so you could go in the other pools without "marco-polo" occuring!

I'm a big believer in making the most of any cruise I'm on, so enjoy your trip! I am glad we experienced the Freedom and only you and your family will be able to judge for yourselves if it was really worth it.

I'm sure you will have a great time. Personally, however, I found the ship to be way too big for my tastes and doubt we will consider sailing her or any other Freedom-class ship.

The added activities and shows were nice, but because of the number of people onboard, some of the things we enjoy doing, had to change venues. For example, the 70's/80's night is done as a Street Dance in the Promenade. While this sounded cool, it was more of a mob scene and there really wasn't anywhere to just sit and watch. The repeater's cocktail party was done in the ice rink area. This stadium seating is not really conducive to a cocktail party as you had to step over everyone in the row you were in to go out and dance or partake in the appetizers tables.

The shows were awesome and all ages will enjoy them. The H2O zone was awesome because it truly kept the kids in that section of the pool area so you could go in the other pools without "marco-polo" occuring!

I'm a big believer in making the most of any cruise I'm on, so enjoy your trip! I am glad we experienced the Freedom and only you and your family will be able to judge for yourselves if it was really worth it.

Thank you for your response. Sorry I didn't find it until today! LOL

Archived