Why aren't Children Invited to the Captains table

AnthonyF

First let me say....I have 2 wonderful children and soon hope I will have grandchildren. But I do not want to pay to dine with other people's children....no matter how well behaved they are. I find it hard to understand why anyone would even imagine why other people would impose their offspring on others on vacation muchless the Captain or Officers of the ship. A formal dinner is ADULTS only! I have even put in our profile that We wish never to be seated with children! Sorry if this sounds harsh but get real....!

Oh, YES YES YES!!! We love you!! Our sentiments, exactly!! Parents, already, do not expect delayed gratification, from our children. The Captain's Table, is an adult event, to which we were invited, for the first time, on our last cruise, after fourteen years, of cruising. It was, just, lovely!! So much nicer, for the wait. Like fine wine, the longer you wait, the better it gets. Invite children, and you may get vinegar!!

Please, don't reprimand us, we like kids......we have two, of our own and five grandchildren, but would not want them ,to participate, in adult activities. What is there for them to look forward to???????? My husband and I, totally agree, with you. No matter how well-behaved the children, we do not wish to share a diner table with them, and have, also, stated as much, in our table request!!

We were chosen to be seated with the Capt on our last cruise.Why?,I don't know.We are everyday people.It was a special evening that I hope all will get a chance to enjoy.I feel it should be for adults.Why can't children have something to look forward to when they get older?They are not being punished for being children.Yes,children can be charming,ect.ect,ect......but there are things in life that are and should be limited to adults........Frank

You wouldn't hang a swing from a sapling.Children would not fully appreciate or enjoy the experience.

I know much is made of sitting at the Captain's table and it's nice but it's not that big a deal.Perhaps it's because we've been many times ,but I even felt that way after the first time. I think the disappointment expressed on the boards is from the feeling of being rejected and not knowing exactly why.

As best as I can gather,most of the places are determined by corporate headquarters but some leeway is left to the (Social Hostess) now Capain's Club hostess.I think because it is their job to try and meet all Elite members,they make a spot judgement to include some of them when the opportunity presents itself.

Other than that the other factors contribute but do not guarantee a spot... Of the hundred or so that I've dined at the Capain's table with,many have been high level suite people,most frequent cruisers on board,Elite members,yes,beautiful women,and people celebrating an anniversary.All the others ,i e.inside cabin or first timers were people who met the hostess and she liked.

I was told that the age limit is eighteen. On one cruise when we were traveling as a threesome with out twenty year old daughter,and we told the hostess we would respectfully decline since we were at a table for three and did not want to leave her alone,she simply said no problem and added her on.She was also an Elite.

Finally though,if I liked my waiter or table location or dining time( We have occasionally been moved from early to late so we could sit with the captain),I would be just as happy not to sit at the Capain's table.

BTW -We've sat with the actual "Master of the Vessel" only three times---most times it has been another officer,and they are usually more interesting.

There are many things people like and dislike about a cruise. I was having fun pointing out something I would never be invited to as a family. I even suggested a separate table for the children if one evening 4 couples with children were invited to the Captain's table that a separate table for the children be set up beside.

In any case I really don't care.... I was making a point about having children on the cruise and the things I can not partake in.

Anthony, you are finding out what a lot of us old timers around here know. Despite the best efforts at humor or tongue in cheek posts, most things posted on here are taken literally. What you may find as 'button pushing' humor can lead to a reputation of trouble maker. JMO:D

Anthony, you are finding out what a lot of us old timers around here know. Despite the best efforts at humor or tongue in cheek posts, most things posted on here are taken literally. What you may find as 'button pushing' humor can lead to a reputation of trouble maker. JMO:D

That is the absolute truth. Recently during a game in "the floataway lounge" I innocently made a small correction and suggestion to one of the players.From her reaction,I beleve she was near tears and she promised never to play that game again. Despite an apology and explanation ,she is not to be seen. Boy did I feel lousy.

I can't believe how some people fail to see the tongue in cheek nature and satire in some of the posts. Yes you can put smily or winky faces but that destoys much of the effect. Sometimes the satire only works when it is discovered halfway or at the end of the post.

Recently I started a thread about wanting my wake and burial to be on a Celebrity cruise and it was amazing how many took me literally-despite the fact that I asked in my post whether I would have to be waked in a tux on formal nights!

Yes, I am often thankful for the ones with a sense of humor;)

Things in writing are taken so differently than if we say them. Sarcasm is hard to put into words:p .

drfun48--I know exactly what you mean. I once jokingly said as we left the muster drill I don't know why I have to go to these things because I am going to jump in the first boat I see. Wow, I thought the man in front of me was going to throw me overboard after he told me,quite seriously, I certainly hope you are not in my boat. Did learn my lesson tho I don't make jokes in airports.

drfun48--I know exactly what you mean. I once jokingly said as we left the muster drill I don't know why I have to go to these things because I am going to jump in the first boat I see. Wow, I thought the man in front of me was going to throw me overboard after he told me,quite seriously, I certainly hope you are not in my boat. Did learn my lesson tho I don't make jokes in airports.

Yes, as all of us would...who is thinking about the da** muster drill when the ship is going down?:cool: We are quite the sarcastic bunch aren't we?

It does make you wonder if things would go as orderly in a real emergency as they do in the muster drill ,when you see the frenzy at the Midnight buffet.

AnthonyF,

I agree with the above posters. Humor has no place on the Celebrity board. Please banish yourself to the Carnival board.

My Dear Spouse will not take a Carnival cruise thus alas I am stuck here for 3 weeks until departure and maybe a review upon my return.

Please feel free to ignore my posts 'til then.... ;)

I am not hurt or upset.... I am again being sarcastic if anyone can not understand the tone, the smile or wink or these proceeding word.

BTW I will do whatever I can to get my youngest under 12 (just) in the Olympic restaurant, because he will very much enjoy the experience as we would like to as well... That is no joke.....

Archived