Flying with Booze from the Caribbean

allelect

Try reading this thread, and there are many more that cover this issue. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=445755

No, you are not allowed to carry it onboard the aircraft unless purchased inside the security area in the airport, anything else must be checked. And remember, there are luggage restrictions for number of bags and weight limits also. Not even worth the trouble anymore. :(

We wrapped up our bottle (it was a free bottle of Rum) and shoved it in the center of our checked baggage. The check in person did not weight either pieces of our luggage before literally tossing the bag behind her. I

chastised her for careless handeling of peoples luggage and she just looked at me like I had two head or something (I know she understood english because I heard her speaking clearly to another passenger) Luckily the bottle did not break.

We wrapped up our bottle (it was a free bottle of Rum) and shoved it in the center of our checked baggage. The check in person did not weight either pieces of our luggage before literally tossing the bag behind her. I

chastised her for careless handeling of peoples luggage and she just looked at me like I had two head or something (I know she understood english because I heard her speaking clearly to another passenger) Luckily the bottle did not break.

If you could only see what goes on behind the scenes you would shudder. That is another reason why packing glass bottles in your luggage is a very bad idea. It may ruin everything of yours and anyone elses that happens to be under or around it. Not worth the chance!

We bought two bottles of rum on Nov. 10 at FLL airport before going through security. Told they would be delivered to the ramp area before boarding plane. When we boarded the plane at the ramp area we picked up the two bottles and placed them in our carry on.

Different story though for our connection in Toronto. There we had to remove the bottles and place them in our checked luggage. Different rules in Canada and U.S.

Thanks for all your suggestions and strategies! I'm toying with another idea: put the booze in bubble wrap and box it, and FedEx it to myself from Ft. Lauderdale. Yeah, it's chancey, but this might require desperate measures!

I'm surprised the Caribbean liquor stores haven't figured something out. The new air restrictions must put a dent in their tourist sales.

To transport glass bottles or even plastic ones in your checked luggage, I suggest that you wrap bottle in a beach towel ( we always bring one each with us ) or clothing that won't be or you don't care if damaged by contents and then seal in a heavy duty plastic bag that does not have any holes in it. Get a large enough one to tie knot in end ( preferred ) or zip lock one. Small garbage bags work well. The towel or clothing protects the bag from shards of glass if bottle should break and absorbs content if there is a leak while the bag contains the leak. Remember that the more cloth there is the more the contents will be absorbed or held by it. Place only one bottle, if glass, per plastic bag if and pack in center of luggage surrounded by other contents.

By doing above I have never lost liquor returning from my many cruises and vacations. Living in Canada with the high liquor prices here we always are bringing bottles back.

We packed 2 bottles of Bombay Sapphire gin that we bought on the Asia cruise on Sapphire Princess, because the price was so good. We have a hard side suitcase, 1 was in the middle of the dirty clothes bag & the other wrapped in other dirty clothes. No problems, until my DH was unpacking & tossed the dirty clothes bag down the stairs. Yes the bottle broke then--he had a great time getting all the small glass pieces out of the clothes--at least gin is clear so nothing was stained--the carpet downstairs had an interesting smell for several days. And Yes, he owes me another bottle for Christmas!!!!

Archived