Proposed on a cruise? How?

moosetracks17

No my DH and I did not cruise until we were married five years, but I will say to me sunset is the most romantic time of day on a ship. As a woman I do think she would want to be looking her best on this occasion, so you may need to invent a reason for doing so before hand. If you have a balcony cabin that would be a great place; if not the most quiet deck. You could order drinks and appetizers to the room and arrange to have the ring on the olive in the martini or something like that. Let your steward or some friends know so they can come by a few minutes later to take pictures as this is truly a Kodak moment!

No my DH and I did not cruise until we were married five years, but I will say to me sunset is the most romantic time of day on a ship. As a woman I do think she would want to be looking her best on this occasion, so you may need to invent a reason for doing so before hand. If you have a balcony cabin that would be a great place; if not the most quiet deck. You could order drinks and appetizers to the room and arrange to have the ring on the olive in the martini or something like that. Let your steward or some friends know so they can come by a few minutes later to take pictures as this is truly a Kodak moment!

The crew I think would love to be part of this and would be very carefull not to screw it up. You could make friends with your neighbors and have the drinks delivered there first to "put the ring on".

The most romantic (ok, some consider it corny) part of being proposed to was the ship itself: The Pacific Princess (you know: the ORIGINAL Love Boat). DH (boyfriend at the time obviously) and I took this ship from Boston to Bermuda in October, 2001. Another couple went with us. The problem was (I found out later) that the other couple would never leave us alone. DH kept trying to get me alone to propose and as soon as we were alone for more than a minute or two: they'd show up! And, by the time we got back to our cabin each night, we were both exhausted and collapsed into bed.

Finally, on the last night of the cruise, he took me up on the promenade deck (told the other couple to get lost without me knowing it! :)) and asked me to go for a walk around the ship. I resisted because it was freezing. But, he talked me into it. When we rounded the stern, he turned to me and I was shivering. I said, "I'm ffffffrrreeeezinnggggg." He then said, "well, I have something that should warm your heart.....will you marry me?" Well, of course, I no longer noticed the cold air and threw my arms around his neck and the rest, they say, is history.

He told me later that he had this big speech planned about how I was the love of his life, etc. But, he knew he couldn't keep me out on that deck long enough to say it. So, he just blurted it out.

So, here we are 5 years later with 2 kids and planning our next cruise. Not the most romantic story in the world, but it was perfect for us.

On my cruise in June, with a group, one of my friends in the group brought along her 23 year old daughter and the daughter's boyfriend. This is the story she told me:

Our first port was St Thomas. The boyfriend took the daughter out to the jewelry stores ALL AFTERNOON. They went from store to store; he'd point out rings, and she'd say, "but I really want a whole carat!"

At the end of the day, she was pretty hot, tired, and frustrated. By prior arrangement, the couple met up with her folks & little sister, and they went to a little restaurant in town.

At the end of dinner, the waiter comes out with a big silver tray and places it in front of the young woman. On the tray is... a big, orange carrot! At which point the boyfriend says... "you said you wanted a whole carrot!"

My friend says it looked like the daughter wavered between bursting into tears and swatting the guy. At which point, he dropped to his knees, pulled from his pants pocket the (absolutely gorgeous, and yes, at least a full carat) engagement ring he'd bought at home & brought on the trip, and proposed. Everyone in the little restaurant burst into applause!

The parents were in on it all - when they all got back to the ship, we were all gathered in a private function room for an engagement cocktail party the parents had arranged!

A family friend got engaged on board the ship, I was in on it. He bought the ring at home and gave it to me to keep until the trip. When we boarded he told his GF that he was going to arrange wine for dinner. He came to my room and ask if everything was ready. I said yes.

Upon boarding I arranged for him and her to have dinner in the Speicalty Resturant. I informed the Mait'd that there would be an engagement taking place. I arranged for the dessert to be presented to her with the diamond as the center piece. Meanwhile the rest of the family and I came in to be sat down to eat just as dessert arrived. Her face was priceless as the Mait'd lifted the silver dome to reveal the ring on a plate with glittler all around. It was a Kodak moment. He got on bent knee and asked her. Since we got there just in time to see it, it was a lot of fun. We congratulated the kds then sat down and ate while they sipped bubbly.

This didn't happen on a cruise but I thought it was pretty cute. My friends grandson was going on a camping trip with his girlfriend and her family. The day before they were to go he "hurt his hand" at work and had to have it bandaged. The first night they were camping he asked his girlfriend to help him change the bandage. She reluctantly did so, not wanting to see the bad cut she thought he had. As you can guess, when she unwrapped the bandage, in his hand was her engagement ring. I just thought this was very clever and very sweet!

On our first cruise together we had arranged to have dinner in the Speciality Restaurant. Unbeknownst to me, my lovely man had arranged the whole thing in advance. All through the meal he was not himself and I thought there was something wrong. Then I saw the photographer and wondered what she was doing there – little did I know she was there to capture the moment he got down on one knee!

On one of our Carnival cruises (when they still did the Guest Talent Show) one of the men pretended that he was going to sing and had the orchestra play "their song". Instead of singing, he asked his girlfriend to come on stage and proposed to her in front of everyone with the cameras rolling.

The staff were all in on it. It was a hoot.

I haven't seen it happen but I had a friend tell me they were going to do this on their cruise next spring. He is planning on arranging with one of the photographers, on formal night to take a couple poses and the last one he will get on one knee and propose. I don't know if it will be doable or not, but it sounds great!

There's a couple in my roll call that got engaged on the sea and now they're going to get married at sea.

I forget which company it is but on one of them you can arrange to have you pop the question on the BIG SCREEN, yes all 250ish square feet of it. I guess you go and have your proposal video taped and then they play it at a certain time. For this package you also get some other things, champagne, and other stuff. Well you better get something for the, are you sitting down, $695.00

I think the most romantic thing is to really think about what your girlfriend would find beautiful and meaningful. Make it really personal. Is a private moment or a public display more to her liking? Are the words more important to her or the setting? Would she like to find the ring hidden in a glass of champagne (or someplace else) or would she prefer to open the ring box? You get my point.

My SO of 4 years and I were traveling with my mother on a Princess cruise and one evening we went to the Wheelhouse bar for drinks before dinner. During our conversation he took out his camera and put it on the table in front of my mother. Then he got out of the chair and dropped down to the floor. Couldn't imagine what he was doing on the floor and I told him to get up..."what are you doing down there...bla, bla, you look like an idiot." He took out a ring and started proposing and I was in total shock. My mother just kept saying, "say yes" but I couldn't even speak. She did grab his camera and snapped some photos, thankfully, while he was still down on his knee.

Some of the other patrons came running over and congratulated us saying how sweet and romantic they thought the whole thing was.

Post-Mortem: He passed away before we were able to be married and I will never, ever forget the time we spent together.

I haven't seen a proposal on a cruise, but just a suggestion: make sure if you do something really public, make sure your SO would find that okay. My DH's friends kept trying to get him to do it on the big screen at a baseball game, but he knew I'd kill him (to me, that would be embarassing). So, he found a way to do it that was private.

Archived