Prone to Sea Sickness - query Alaskan waters

Belvidere

:o Hi all,

We are thinking of taking a trip through the inside passage of Alaska in May 2007. I am prone to sea sickness. Can you tell me if the waters are usually OK and if there is one cruise ship that is better than another for stability. Can anyone suggest an itinerary or have any suggestions as I would really like to experience Alaska. When we sailed on the Pacific we hit 40 foot waves and I was really very ill for days.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Belvidere

We've been on about a dozen cruises. Both the roughest and the calmest waters we've on were in the inside passage. Genereally, the inside passage is calm, but when the wind blows through it, it can get nasty fast.

-Monte

I've never been to Alaska (I'm excited about my upcoming cruise :D ) but I also tend to get sea sick. What I've found to work for me is to start on sea sickness medicine a few days before I get on the ship. I use Bonine because it's supposed to be non-drowsy. I always take it at night before going to sleep so if it does make me drowsy it won't matter :cool: . Happy cruising.

You are bound to get plenty of "smooth as glass" reports from people. But NOT A GIVEN. I've been on 13 Alaska cruises and 4 hit very rough seas part of the trip, one lasted 3 days. ALL of those were round trip Vancouver as well, in my case. The one ways, going across the Gulf have the most potential, but you are asking a question that can not be answered. Best is to be prepared and consult your health care professional for the best advice for you.

Bonine's great! I tend to get sea sick very easy - so I started taking Bonine the day before we started the cruise. I would take 1/2 a pill in the morning and the other half at night....worked like a charm. We hit choppy weather on the way back - I felt great. It also worked for me while on Capt. Larry's boat. I spent the whole time outside and felt fine - many others didn't.

Good luck kingsgirl! Hope it's you and not us!! :D Upyonder's comments shocked me! :eek: Capt. Larry had assured me that seasickness on their jet boat was very rare. Well, I never know what to get hubby for Christmas - so this thread inspired me to order sea bands!! That will definitely be something he's not expecting!!:D

Upyonder's comments shocked me! :eek: Capt. Larry had assured me that seasickness on their jet boat was very rare. Well, I never know what to get hubby for Christmas - so this thread inspired me to order sea bands!! That will definitely be something he's not expecting!!:D

Don't worry - it was not that bad.... Just a couple of people outside got sick when the boat rocked hard a couple of times (plus I think one had been drinking a few too many beers in town before the trip). Trust me... I get REALLY sick REALLY easy and Bonine worked for me. I had a blast on Capt. Larry's boat - we don't see too many whales - but the ride was fun. You'll enjoy Larry's boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions for the original poster:

- Book an INSIDE PASSAGE cruise. Look to limit your time on the "outside". A true "inside" cruise is really only exposed to the open ocean for 1/2 day just north of Vancouver while crossing Queen Charlotte Sound. Cruises with Hubbard, Sitka or "open ocean" days will put out outside, as will the trip to Seward crossing the Gulf of Alaska.

- While you're "Inside", BIG water would be 6-8' seas. it's just so protected here... we rarely see anything more than 8'. While you'll feel it a bit on a big ship, it's nothing compared to the 20' and 40' seas you'll find on the outside.

- Book a cabin as close to the center of the ship as possible (less physical motion if the ship is rocking), and then DON"T STAY IN YOUR CABIN... Fresh Air is key to not turning green.

- Bonine and Sea Bands work well... follow the directions. Consulting your health care professional is another good tip. I see thousands of happy folks using the scoplamine patches each year too...

- The only guarantee I can make about sea sickness is HOW TO get sea sick... If you bring a hand-mirror on my boat, then look over your shoulder (in the mirror) at the horizon, I can make you sick in less than a minute!

-Don't worry about it too much. Focus on the beauty and fun of your trip while following a few of the tips mentioned here and you'll be fine...

-Case

Does booking a cabin in the middle of the ship mean like an inside cabin? Or just not on near the bow or stern?

Just not near the bow or stern. And lower center is better than higher center (for less movement)

-Monte

Does booking a cabin in the middle of the ship mean like an inside cabin? Or just not on near the bow or stern?

As low and as close to the centerline of the ship. Don't forget when you're on a ship, a significant portion of the ship is underwater, so take that "area" into account as well. Most cruise liners have mechanical spaces and crew facilities on those "way lower" decks, and passengers aren't often allowed (or booked) down there. Book an inside cabin on the lowest deck possible...

Again, Inside Passage cruising shouldn't be so rough that it matters, and when it does get rough, the LAST place you'll want to be is in your cabin, no matter where it's booked.

Fresh air, relax and enjoy!

-Case

Archived