Alaska Airlines - Anyone heard/use them?

cruisingw/mom

Alaska Airlines (AS) also has summer routes from Chicago (ORD) to Anchorage (ANC) That flight fills quickly. American Airlines also Code Shares the ORD-ANC flights.

Does Alaska Airlines still have the Bible verse with the meals????

The ORD-ANC flights are year round.

Yes, you still get a Psalm with your Psalmon. Up front only; BoB in Back.

AS' on-time record was miserable for much of 2005-2006 but has improved of late.

On west coast itineraries (where they are actually rather dominant) their first class fares can be quite decent; on transcons (they go to Boston, Newark, DC and several Florida points from SEA, as well as a lot of Mexican destinations) their FC prices are the same as the majors.

We fly Alaska Air from Ohare to Seattle often. We flew first class 2 weeks ago and they did give the bible verse with our meal. They are a very good airline. It is our first choice to Seattle from Chicago.

You can also go to Boston, both DC airports, possibly Newark too, on them and they go to Mexico too. Last I heard they were trying to get certified for long distances over water, so the Hawaii rumors have started.

I love the fact that they are partners with so many airlines. American, Delta, Continental, Northwest, so anytime I fly one of them I give them my Alaska FF# so all my miles go into my Alaska account.

Susan :)

You can also go to Boston, both DC airports, possibly Newark too, on them and they go to Mexico too. Last I heard they were trying to get certified for long distances over water, so the Hawaii rumors have started.

I love the fact that they are partners with so many airlines. American, Delta, Continental, Northwest, so anytime I fly one of them I give them my Alaska FF# so all my miles go into my Alaska account.

Hi Susan, have a question for you. Am I understanding you right...when you make air arrangements you provide your Alaska Airlines FF number in the FF box of the airline you are using (Alaska partners)? If so, that is great. DH has flown American a lot and I didn't know how to credit his Alaska rather than his American account.

Another question along the same line, if you enter your Alaska FF number, where do you access the reservation...under your Alaska account or the airline you are flying?

Thanks!

Hi Susan, have a question for you. Am I understanding you right...when you make air arrangements you provide your Alaska Airlines FF number in the FF box of the airline you are using (Alaska partners)? If so, that is great. DH has flown American a lot and I didn't know how to credit his Alaska rather than his American account.

Another question along the same line, if you enter your Alaska FF number, where do you access the reservation...under your Alaska account or the airline you are flying?

Thanks!

When I've made American and I think Delta reservations online they wouldn't let me put in my AS (code for Alaska) FF#, so I just called them and had them do it once the reservation was made. I also always make sure the day I travel that my AS FF# is in my reservation.

Now for Continental and Northwest they allow me to put in my AS FF# and Northwest even lets my MVP status come over so I can pick Elite seats.

You always access the reservation at the airline site you made it at. Those are tied to a confirmation code most of the times. The reservation is at that airline you're booked with, you're just putting your FF miles to a partner airline.

That's how I've made MVP status the last 3 years, using just one account when I can :D

When I've made American and I think Delta reservations online they wouldn't let me put in my AS (code for Alaska) FF#, so I just called them and had them do it once the reservation was made. I also always make sure the day I travel that my AS FF# is in my reservation.

Now for Continental and Northwest they allow me to put in my AS FF# and Northwest even lets my MVP status come over so I can pick Elite seats.

You always access the reservation at the airline site you made it at. Those are tied to a confirmation code most of the times. The reservation is at that airline you're booked with, you're just putting your FF miles to a partner airline.

That's how I've made MVP status the last 3 years, using just one account when I can :D

Thanks for the information. I called Alaska once about entering our Alaska FF number when we flew American and they told me just to enter our Alaska number on the American website when we made the reservations. However, that didn't work. Your way has given me a solution to our problem. We don't want to lose our status either and now I know how to keep it. Many thanks.

Skimming this thread, I don't see anyone mentioning that Alaska Airlines is the ONLY choice for those of us in SouthEast Alaska. Not only are they one of the few remaining "legacy airlines", but they're one of the few remaining legal monopolies... If I want to shop at a Wal Mart or Toys R Us, I MUST fly on Alaska Airlines to either Seattle (980 miles) or Anchorage (920 miles)...

Since it's my only choice for airlines, I'm always a bit shocked at how relatively crappy all other airlines seem to be whenever I'm elsewhere in the world where there is a choice...

-Case

Remember Mr. T on the A-Team? I am not far from him when it comes to the fear of flying.

I fly Alaska about 3 times a year and always when given a practical choice. The main reason-I was told that with the weather that they have to contend with in Alaska and with all of the airports that they have to "dive into", the planes have additional equipment and the pilots additional training.

Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. But when you fear leaving the ground, a story like like is at least a bit reassuring. I do like them above the others I've flown.

Remember Mr. T on the A-Team? I am not far from him when it comes to the fear of flying.

I fly Alaska about 3 times a year and always when given a practical choice. The main reason-I was told that with the weather that they have to contend with in Alaska and with all of the airports that they have to "dive into", the planes have additional equipment and the pilots additional training.

Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. But when you fear leaving the ground, a story like like is at least a bit reassuring. I do like them above the others I've flown.

Yes it's true and even our state capital of Juneau is one of those lovely places to try and fly in to.

Susan in Anchorage :)

fear of flying.

The main reason-I was told that with the weather that they have to contend with in Alaska and with all of the airports that they have to "dive into", the planes have additional equipment and the pilots additional training.

Stan is correct, the “Dive into” talk he has heard is layperson jargon, which is typical of negative B.S. expression. Actually, the approach into Juneau is long and slow. Any instrument certificated pilot can make the Juneau approach at any time without special expertise as long as the pilot command complies with approved approach procedures. Having said that, one must recognize that the north pacific coast of North America is subject to inclement weather and terrain conditions. So, when a carrier like Alaska Airlines serves these areas, with multiple daily operations, it is most important, from an economic standpoint and schedule standpoint, to reduce weather delays as much as possible. Therefore, Alaska Airlines has gone to great expense in achieving that. Their pilots meet special standards and the equipment in their aircraft is the latest state of the art, all giving that carrier special license for lower weather approach minimums. This is not only true at Juneau, but at Seattle as well. Alaska Air has used technology for safety and reliability.

They are one of the last legacy airlines left in the US. Also one of the largest and they often receive top rating for quality and service, world wide. Whatever that means in todays cramped seat, no frill, cattle car, airline industry. But you can't really blame the industry, folks want cheap seats and they are getting them.

Last Updated: 20040211

Note: The order of this list has been determined by rank information gleaned from Google using the Google API. Rank is subject to change.

American Airlines

Northwest Airlines

United Airlines

Continental Airlines

Delta Air Lines

US Airways

America West

Southwest Airlines

Alaska Air

Hawaiian Airlines

JetBlue Airways

American Trans Air

AirTran Airways

Midwest Express Airlines

Spirit Airlines

Mesaba Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Aloha Airlines

Pan Am

Vanguard Airlines

World Airways

Atlantic Coast Airlines

Kenmore Air

SkyWest Airlines

Big Sky Air

Great Lakes Airlines

Cape Air

Pen Air

Colgan Air

Mesa Airlines

Google better update their search engine. Most of the bottom half of the list are either out of business, have changed their name, OR have merged with other companies.

To the OP-YES, Alaska Airlines is really an airline. Pretty darn good one at that. I just hate 737's. You can get most anyplace in the US on Alaska and their partners (which are many)

Used to fly Alaska Airlines extensively when I live in California. We are using them in February to go from LA to Mexico and then in May to go from Orlando to Anchorage and return from Vancouver. They are a great ailrine with the Eskimo on the tail.

They also have a partnership with Disneyland and actually fly 3 planes decorated with Disney Characters (The Fab 5, Tinker Bell, and the newest one with the Genie on it)

Archived