2 Weeks before we go - how do you get ready?

LA-Mom

I am a first timer cruising with my husband and two kids, age 5 and 8, to Mexican Riviera for 7 days on RCCL Vision of the Seas. We leave in two weeks. I have not started getting ready and am not sure where to begin. Any veterans have advice?

We have our passports and the travel agent emailed us the paperwork we are supposed to have.

This is what I think I need to do:

Pack clothes, toiletries, electronics, beach stuff

Buy travelers checks and get some cash

Confirm excursions

Arrange for neighbors to watch house and mail, feed pets

Get seasick medication

Any idea or information that you can share that I may not be aware of or that saves me time running around trying to get everything together will be appreciated.

Don't bother with traveler's checks, because most places don't take them, unless you're just going to cash them on the ship.

Don't forget formal clothing and all the stuff that goes with that. And get some great family photos on board.

If you are flying, weigh your bags before you leave (to not go over the 50#).

You might want to stick a power strip in for any electronics (phones, cameras, laptops, curling irons, blowdryers, etc). Also, ziplocks are handy for many things, like packing wet things when it's time to leave.

Don't pack beach towels because you can use the ones on the ship.

I wish there was something I could tell you. Just do the same things you would for a land vacation. Try to make sure you have everything and go have a great time.

One of the things that really seems common for many people, over packing. You may want to double check everything, especially as there are four of you.

Take lots of pictures.

By all means, get travellers checks. If they're lost or stolen, well you know the ad. Cash them on the ship, no charge. I also read & re-read my lists and start gathering the little things, shampoo etc., razors & cream, bathing suits. Making sure you have enopugh socks and undies those kind of things. I don't pack yet, just gather. Packing comes on the night before.

Get traveler's checks, even if you have to cash them in at the purser's desk. While camping last year, we had nowhere to keep our money except in the locked glove box. Our car got broken into at Disneyland. They took our money pouch. However, all that was in there was our TC. We had to go to a bank to get new ones, but we would have been out 500 dollars if we didn't have TC.

Make a little investment in a couple of disposable waterproof cameras. Just incase your good camera breaks they are a back up, plus the kids will love pictures of fish and them swimming.

Also, a power strip comes in very very handy... I am glad we had ours. Also, a Glade smelly night light is GREAT. with little ones waking up to go to the bathroom at night, its a must.

And MOST important thing to pack... A SMILE!!!! :) Enjoy the family/hubby and have FUN!!!

My main suggestion would be to make sure to check your flight times and also your ground transportation. Make sure to have any and ALL reservation numbers with you and carry them on the plane/car with you at all times. Carry your cruise docs too with you. DO NOT pack them in your check in luggage...you will need them at port.

Pack some of those tiny plastic poncho that Wal-Marts sells. They fit in your pocket just in case of rain on an excursion.

Take a night light...if you do not have a window/balcony cause the inside cabins are pitch-black.

Also have on hand some $1.00 bills for tipping room service, porters, cabbies, etc.

:)Hope you have a great time on your cruise!:)

Archived