Anyone Leave From Manhatten Terminal?

raina*faith

I assure you mean the Manhattan Cruise terminal(formally the NY Passenger Cruise Terminal. First I always drive except for once when I was there for an christening(when I took the subway). Its easy to get to. It depends on how many of you there are and where you are coming from whether you should get a limo. It will be no problem getting there by cab but leaving there is always a line up for cabs so limo is best especially if you can carry your stuff accross the street and meet them on the east side of 12th avenue. When are you going how many ships will be in port etc....

Yep, have sailed out of there many times, including 3 times this year. :) Very convenient port, you can go by limo or cab. I take public transportation and walk. :)

Hi BudgetQueen, what public transportation did you use and where did you walk from? Details, details, please...:)

Hi BudgetQueen, what public transportation did you use and where did you walk from? Details, details, please...:)

I come into Grand Central, and take the 42 bus (pier bus NOT Javits) to the Circle Line- last stop. Then walk 6-8 short blocks to the ship.

The buses take a metro card or change no bills, $2

Most trains from the west/south come into Penn Station(34th street between 7th and 8th Avenue which is on the west side of Manhattan- Grand Central where Metro North comes into is on the east side(42 nd street and Park Avenue).

This is also true of the Bus station(which is also on the West side) which is at 41 street between 8th and nineth avenue.

Fifth avenue is the divide between west and east.

The Cruise terminal is at 12th avenue and about 48th -50th street depending on which pier your ship will leave from.

Each street is 1/20 a mile and an avenue is about 1/10 of a mile. so from the bus station to walk is about 3/4 of a mile. from Penn station its about 1 1/4 mile. A cab will cost about $7.00 from Penn Station and aout $6.00 (plus tip)from the bus terminal- depending on traffic and assuming they will let you off on the upside of 12 th avenue and not go into the pier which is longer(the entrance is at 54th street) and takes a lot of time to get through.

You can take a bus up 8th avenue and change to the cross town bus at 51 street that will drop you right at 12th avenue and 51st street. If you are taking the bus get your metro pass before you leave the train station(at the entrance to a subway station) so you can also get the free transfer between buses(its part of the metro card just swipe it when you get on the bus and you'll see) if there are two of you get one metrocard for the total amount you will need both ways($8.00 2 per each way)...but personally I would take a cab for the few dollars more....

a word of warning about cab rates in NY. The rates went up Thursday night. The only rate that went up was the waiting rate. It went up two ways. Instead of 20 per mnutes, its now 40 cents per minute but it also kicks in when the cab is moving less than 12 miles per hour instead of instead of 6 miles per hour. So that a 20 minute cab ride would cost at least 12.00 plus the mileage charge and intial drop....

Cabs in NY were relatively inexpensive as compared to most major cities but this should significantly increase it...

BTW if I cab gets me someplace slowly as opposed to quickly I see no reason to increase the tip. Most cab drivers keep the amount you pay them so whether its on the meter or in the tip they get to keep the money.

Archived