new2NCl

kidrn

I just spontaneously booked a holiday cruise on Norwegian Pearl. Please help!!! We have sailed RCCI,MOS and Disney Magic. I am scared after reading your posts and think we have made a huge mistake!!! We have 3 kids7,14,16. Everyone is so negative! Please help.

I just spontaneously booked a holiday cruise on Norwegian Pearl. Please help!!! We have sailed RCCI,MOS and Disney Magic. I am scared after reading your posts and think we have made a huge mistake!!! We have 3 kids7,14,16. Everyone is so negative! Please help.

Lucky you to be booked on the Pearl.

No "negative" posts on the Pearl yet:confused:

Have sailed NCL Dawn and Jewel a total of five times in the past 2 years...love it:)

Post your concerns/questions here..you will receive many responses.

It will be a wonderful cruise on a brand new ship.

We have never had a bad cruise and we're about to go on the Dawn for the 5th time-I should say...every cruise has been GREAT!!! NCL has never let us down-the service has always been wonderful~

Our son is 23 and has come with us since he was 8 years old.

There are no reviews of the Pearl as she is new-when are you booked for? Did you see the pictures posted here?

No huge mistake - there are always a few disgruntled posters here. I am on the Pearl next week and delighted. NCL has as usual move the best of the crew and staff onboard to bring out a new ship. You could not have picked a better NCL ship for the holidays. First NCL ship with a climbing wall for the kids. First with onboard bowling. Lots of options for food and you can if you wish leave the formal wear at home.

Check out the reviews for the Jewel the Pearls sister ship. I think you will be a lot more comfortable with your choice. Stop by the roll call for your cruise as well

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334831

Stay tuned - I will post live from the ship starting on Saturday :D

seems like most of the negative about NCL seems to come about the older ships designed before the freestyle concept....... you will absolutely have a blast so relax and get started packing.

And, a PS....my friends who sailed the Spirit last September with 3 teens...loved it as did their teens

The teens are now "insisting" they sail again this year before the oldest teen turns 18.

They "loved" the teen club:)

Welcome to the board! I was on my first NCL cruise in October with a not-so-happy-to-be-there DH (he was a first time cruiser). Within 4 days he was ready and AGREEABLE to booking another cruise on...TA DA...the Pearl! What was my response to his readiness to book another cruise, for 15 days mind you, on a ship that wasn't even completed yet? :eek: about sums it up!

We are both thrilled to be going on the Pearl next September. I don't expect it to be perfect (what in life is) however if my past experience on the Dawn can be used as a benchmark, I know we're going to have a wonderful time.

Listen to shoreguy...the man knows more about NCL than any of us I believe. And read his posts from the ship next week. Many of us are looking forward to them...he'll be honest and upfront.

While there are a bunch of folks here who are perpetual naysayers...there are just as many who are not.

Finally, I would also recommend that you join the roll call for your cruise. We had a meet and greet and it was wonderful. Do you want to get a sense of folks who are truly looking forward to their cruise on the Pearl? Then go look at the roll call for her inaugural voyage for December 2! Everytime I read the posts I become a bit envious...I have to remind myself that my time is coming too! :D!

Ciao for now and happy sailing!

W A W W

Relax! Enjoy your cruise. Then come back and report if your cruise was as bad as you think it may have been. That would be an interesting review.

Not everyone posts negative reviews.

Hi. What exactly do you want help with? Need help carrying your luggage because I'll tag along if that's the help you need. :D

thanks for your quick and honest replies. One of the reasons we booked this over another option was the first time ever being able to book adjoining rooms. My older kids think there is no santa but we are not telling them about the cruise until we roll out of bed the morning of!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like the free style dining and exactly how does it work? Mary

thanks for your quick and honest replies. One of the reasons we booked this over another option was the first time ever being able to book adjoining rooms. My older kids think there is no santa but we are not telling them about the cruise until we roll out of bed the morning of!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like the free style dining and exactly how does it work? Mary

Can I be one of your kids??? PLEASE:)

We LOVE freestyle;)

Mary, please do come back and let us know their reaction when they find out they're going on a sea cruise!

I would imagine it will be something akin to "OH MY GOD!!!!" And then there will be some screaming or high five's perhaps???

Bon voyage!

W A W W

p.s. All of the folks here who have responded thus far...they are the same ones who gave me alot of wonderful advice prior to my cruise as well. You can take what they say to the bank...and there are more out there too!

p.p.s. I hear what you're saying about the adjoining rooms...this is not an issue for us but I see that NCL really promotes that angle in their marketing brochures.

How do you like the free style dining and exactly how does it work? Mary

I happen to love NCL's Freestyle policies. Remember, it's not just about the dining set-up. It's also the fact that "resort casual" dress is deemed appropriate every night for dinner, including the optional formal nights. I love not having to dress up unless I actually want to. You can, of course, opt to dress up any night. Many people do just that, whether it's an optional formal night or not. Keep in mind that if you're looking for a nice family portrait, that the photographers are set up on several nights, not just the optional formal night(s). So, to avoid the long lines for the photos, just dress up on the night of your choosing. That's the gist of Freestyle - freedom of choice.

As for the dining, again, I love being able to choose when, where, and with whom to eat. An intimate table for two if the mood strikes you, or being seated with new-found friends at a larger table. It's your choice. You're not locked-in to assigned tables with assigned tablemates, crossing your fingers hoping that you're compatible with them.

I also love the wide range of dining venues on the newer ships (Pearl, Jewel, Dawn, Star, Spirit and Sun). The older ships don't have nearly as many restaurants (Crown, Wind, Dream and Majesty). In addition to the number of restaurants, I love the diversity of the cuisines offered on the newer ships (Asian, Italian, French, Tex-Mex, steakhouse, sushi).

For your cruise on the Pearl, here's how the dining venues will break down:

Included, no reservations required

Indigo - main dining room

Summer Palace - main dining room

Garden Cafe buffet

Sky High grill

Blue Lagoon - an almost 24/7 diner-type venue

Room service 24/7

Included, reservations required

La Cucina Italian Restaurant (I'm assuming there will be no surcharge here since most of NCL's Italian restaurants do not)

Mambos Latin/Tapas Restaurant (again, I'm assuming there will be no surcharge here since Salsa on the Dawn & Star do not)

Surcharge, reservations required

Lotus Garden Asian Restaurant

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cagney's Steak House

Teppanyaki

Sushi and Sashimi Bar

Generally, you'll be able to obtain a set of the menus for the main dining rooms for your cruise at the main desk in the atrium. Once you've reviewed them, you'll have a better idea of when you might want to book one of the alternative restaurants. To do that, you can go to a reservations desk that is usually set up in the main atrium, or you can visit the specific restaurant in person, or you can use your cabin phone.

For the main dining rooms, you just show up when you like between 5:30 and about 10pm. Generally, you won't have any trouble being seated immediately if you go early or late. During peak times, there might be a short wait (longer for larger parties). Larger parties can actually arrange with the maitre d' to have a table reserved at a specific time (usually limited to dining before 6).

Hope this helps.

You know what they say - - - Opinions are like Belly Buttons - We all have one! I think you should put all of the negative opinions aside - and form your own opinion once you get there! I think the biggest mistake you could make is to board the ship thinking your making a big mistake - If you do - you're destined to have a terrible time! Put it aside and enjoy the holiday with your family! THEN - come back and tell us what an awesome time you had!!!!

Shoreguy - looking forward to your review!!!

Guest Anorak33

kidrn we are in much the same position as you, first time NCL, and read a lot of bad stuff on here therefore somewhat apprehensive.

One thing I stupidly hadn't considered is that on previous cruises we have I suppose been lucky with compatible tablemates.

Consequently we have done lots of stuff with them like Trivia, card games, etc.

Now this wont happen on Pearl as we will not be dining with anyone so how will we get to meet anyone ?

I did try posting a games partners wanted ad on here but it got deleted, maybe there will be a noticeboard in the games room to help find partners. Trouble is by the time anyone answers those ads several days have gone by.

The roll call for this cruise is nearly 90 pages and very disjointed, no use posting it on there.

Anyway apparently there is probably a good library so we can get a book and just read in our cabin if we dont meet anyone. Its only 10 days, a short cruise for us.

kidrn we are in much the same position as you, first time NCL, and read a lot of bad stuff on here therefore somewhat apprehensive.

One thing I stupidly hadn't considered is that on previous cruises we have I suppose been lucky with compatible tablemates.

Now this wont happen on Pearl as we will not be dining with anyone so how will we get to meet anyone ?

I did try posting a games partners wanted ad on here but it got deleted, maybe there will be a noticeboard in the games room to help find partners. Trouble is by the time anyone answers those ads several days have gone by.

The roll call for this cruise is nearly 90 pages and very disjointed, no use posting it on there.

Anyway apparently there is probably a good library so we can get a book and just read in our cabin if we dont meet anyone. Its only 10 days, a short cruise for us.

Anorak please do give your roll call another look/see. There are most certainly prearranged activities that you are most welcome to join. This is how we met alot of very nice folks on our cruise.

How about going over there and saying "hey...I want to meet others and I know the time is short - solutions?" I would venture, even at this late date, that some of the fine folks who are going on that cruise will reach out.

After all...look at the nice responses the OP received here and all she said was "Help!"? Be that as it may...Anorak have a wonderful time...what an opportunity! Bon Voyage!

Ciao and happy sailing to you too!

W A W W

P.S. Regarding "disappearing posts" that has happened to me too...it's a bit annoying...they are not "poofed" but moved to "more appropriate" boards. Bleech! But this is not NCL's fault (heh heh!!!) Ciao! :D!

If you attend any of the ship's activities, you will very easily meet other cruisers. For instance, go to the first scheduled trivia contest, find a table with just a couple sitting at it, and ask whether they would like to form a team. That's what I always do. It's a given that you already have at least one thing in common - enjoying trivia games.

Give the roll call another try, just jump right in an introduce yourself.

Even with Freestyle dining you can choose to be seated with others. When you get to the dining room ask to share a table and they will seat you with others who are looking to share as well. You may not get the same tablemates every night (unless you all agree to meet at a restaurant every evening) but it is an opportunity to meet other passengers over dinner.

Your post did not get deleted it got moved to the roll call . Already folks have offered to bring board games the problem you are not there.

One thing about NCL - you have choices - you can eat by yourself or jump in and make new friends - your choice. :)

DH and I cruise alone and love freestyle. Trust me, you will have NO problem meeting other folks, whether it's at the pool, at a club, in the DR, in the Reading Room, or at any of the organized activities that go on.

Go to your rollcall and meet your cruisemates - trust me you'll have a marvelous time:)

Here is a quick synopsis of Freestyle Dining:

I love Freestyle and that is why I only cruise on NCL.

Freestyle is all about your choice. Freestyle gives you the choice to eat WHEN you want, with WHO you want, WHERE you want, and HOW you want.

1.) You do not have assigned dining times. You can go the main restaurants anytime that they are open (5:30-9:30) and simply tell them how many of you there are and they will seat you, just like a shoreside restaurant. Unless you are a large group, you cannot make reservations in the main dining rooms. Sometimes this can cause you to wait a few minutes (usually less than 20) for a table if you dine during the peak hours of 6:30-8:00.

2.) You do have to make reservations for the Specialty Restaurants and most of them have a cover charge of $10-20 per person. (but that is only for the entree, you can have as many apetizers, salads, sides and desserts that you want.). You can make these for the entire week when you board. Not all specialty restaurants have a cover charge (LaTrattatoria for example) but all require reservations.

3.) You do not have assigned tablemates. You can dine with just your family or perhaps the friends you met that day. They have tables from 2 people to 10 people. You can also request to be seated with new people if you like. You usually do not have the same waiters each night, but you can request them!

4.) You can dress as you like. (within limits) All formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL in all dining venues. You do not have to dress up and can still eat anywhere. On formal night, only about 40% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt/tie. The other 60% will be in resort casual. (the 40% drops to about 30% dressed up on the Hawaiin cruises since Hawaiian attire is also an acceptable dress.)

With that said, you do have to dress in at least Resort Casual every night to dine in the restaurants. Resort casual simply means no shorts, jeans or t-shirts. Polo shirts, sun dresses, kahkis, and sneakers are all perfectly acceptable! I have never worn any more than a polo shirt, kahkis and sneakers to any meal on five NCL cruises! You will not feel out of place! The best part...the chance to dress as you feel comfortable.

Not everybody here is negative. As you can tell by my screen name, I am new to this cruising business. And as you can also tell by my signature, we've only been on one cruise, but it was with NCL. We loved it! We loved the Dream, despite all the "bad stuff" we read here last year about her (small size, engine was broken for awhile ...), and we love the Freestyle concept. As you can additionally see by my obnoxious count down clock, we are sailing on NCL again this year, on the Majesty out of Charleston. Welcome to the CC boards; you'll find a lot of very nice and helpful people here, as we did. But, just like everywhere in life, you'll find some grouchy people too. Anyway, you're going on a CRUISE!! Enjoy it!

Archived