Anyone pay with Cash on the seapass?

Tamara

Does anyone know how much cash is requested up front for a 7 nite cruise per person if you choose to pay your seapass deposit with cash and not a credit card? If you do not use the held amount is it refunded by check or in cash at the end of the cruise? Thanks-Tamara

I believe you need to secure your seapass account with a credit card on record. That way the cruise line has a guarantee that they can charge you for any overages.

That being said...we always use Travelers Checks for our seapass account. All you need to do is go to the Purser's desk and deposit the money on the 1st or 2nd day. On the last evening, you can either pay them more (if you spent more) or they will refund you whatever the balance is in cash. I don't believe there is a minimum.

Last week, I set-up a cash account on Explorer. We choose to do this to better monitor what we are actually spending. This is the way it worked for us and I imagine it is how things are done on other ships, as well. When you do the "online" check-in there is a place for you to check that you would like to use cash for your purchases. Then, at the pier when you are checking into board they will ask you, again, how you want to pay for your seapass. At that time, your seapass/room key card is given to you, and you will be directed to go to guest relations, once onboard to put money on your account. You can put whatever amount you want on your account, and however many times you want to put it on there! For us, we aren't big drinkers (wine at dinner--that's about it) and we book our own excursions outside of the cruiseline. So, we put $100 on the first day of the week and then about the fourth day it was getting a little low so we added another $100 to it. Also, the next to the last day we went down and gave them a credit card to put on file to cover what we spend at the end of the cruise and pay for gratuities, etc. The reason that we go for the credit card at the end versus additional cash amount is because if you have excess on your account, on your disembarkation day you have to go to guest relations to settle up your account....and we just don't want to deal with it!

We started doing this after our first cruise because we lost track of our spending and our credit card bill ended up being outrageous due to spending a little here and a little there...I am a sucker for the pictures they take onboard;)

When you put a set amount in cash on your card, and it starts running low, they will contact you to put more money into the account. They want a "cushion"--just in case.

I'm assuming you don't have a credit card--because this is a big hassle to do it in cash! Much easier to let them hold your card, then pay cash at the end, if you choose! (Or better yet, just pay off the credit card!)

I'm assuming you don't have a credit card--because this is a big hassle to do it in cash! Much easier to let them hold your card, then pay cash at the end, if you choose! (Or better yet, just pay off the credit card!)

It really isn't a hassle, and it does prevent holds being put on your card all week, and the chance that your credit card company will send up a flag for odd spending. I do secure my seapass with a CC, but when I get on the ship, I go to the pursar and immediately plop down $600-$800 in travellers checks. This way, if there is a charge, it tends to just come on the last day for whatever the balance is.

Also helps keep me "on budget". :)

Tracy

I think it is easier to set up the account with a credit card and pay cash or travelers checks any time you want. It does keep you more on budget if you know you will be paying before you get off the ship.

The last day, we go to the desk and pay our balance down to zero and whatever is spent the last night goes onto the CC. That way, we don't have to bother going to the pursers desk on the last morning, the line is very long and slow at that time.

I have to say, the first and second cruises are the most expensive. People tend to buy more souvenirs, photos and drinks in souvenir cups until they get the hang of it.

We have also used cash for our Sea Pass and it is quite easy.

We even have money added to our Sea Pass before the cruise by having our TA apply a certain amount to our account and have the money waiting for us when we get to the ship.

We add more money once on the ship and then keep an eye on our balance and purchases on RCCL TV in your stateroom.

If we get down to $100 or so, we add another $100-$200

depending on how many days we have left on the ship.

Bob:)

Archived