First Time Cruising Couple...getting ready to go!

CruisinOnWheels

Howdy....

Our first ever cruise is finally here...well in 4 days anyway :)

We are going on a RCCL 7 day western caribbean itinerary on the Rhapsody from Galveston.

We have spoken to Special Needs several times, requested double mattress, egg crate mattress top...pier assistance

Just wanted to get some last minute feedback/opinions from anyone who has cruised with a person that had a handicap before (hubby uses wheelchair) regarding anything we need to be aware of, or may not have thought of doing before we leave.

I haven't been on that ship or class yet so no help there in terms of accessibility. My only notes are be prepared to wait for elevators... be either on the early end or a little late for the busy traffic times like dinner because if you are on a middle deck it's hard to find room on one. Otherwise just have lots of fun! The Voyager class is very wheelchair accessible and it's become our favorite vacation for that reason so I hope the Rhapsody is just as good to you!

Keep any medications in your room safe. No, never thought of our stewards stealing them. I'm afraid I'll toss some in a back pack or purse and then have to deal with customs. Take a few extras of all pills and special supplies.

Foods to avoid: raw seafood, unpeeled fruits and vegatables in ports where the water is not 100% safe, unbottled water (honestly, the tap water in Florida gives me, well, the runs) in general and too much alcohol. Yup, the party fever can hit us chair users too and how embarassing if you don't do certain things more often. The shrimp and veggie sushi on ships is safe as the shrimp is always cooked.

I always pack a few dark colored garbage bags for tossinbg unmentionables and tie them also. Certain things should not be on a steward's job description if you know what I mean. DO ask for a sharp's container if you use injectables. A spare inner tube can be handy if you use a manual chair and if you fly to your destination CHECK your tool kit.

And definitely go for the candid pictures on formal night because then the photographer is at your height and so is the lighting. I find the formal pictures give me wrinkles I never knew I had. Besides, you only buy the ones you like.

And try to relax and enjoy your first cruise!

One of the first things you need to do is find out where the Maitre d'

has his table set up for checking dining seating. This is to make sure

you are not stuck in a back corner you can not get to in a wheelchair.

It is easier to change during the day than when you show up for dinner.

Check to see if you got you egg crate for the bed, if not find you cabin stewart and ask. They go fast--------------

Besides that, have fun!!!!

Bill

Howdy....

Our first ever cruise is finally here...well in 4 days anyway :)

We are going on a RCCL 7 day western caribbean itinerary on the Rhapsody from Galveston.

We have spoken to Special Needs several times, requested double mattress, egg crate mattress top...pier assistance

Just wanted to get some last minute feedback/opinions from anyone who has cruised with a person that had a handicap before (hubby uses wheelchair) regarding anything we need to be aware of, or may not have thought of doing before we leave.

Have a wonderful time! Cruising is very special, most people are nice and helpful, and be prepared for the distances on a ship. It's a long way from front to back.................and if you have to use an elevator, as a previous poster pointed out, do give yourselves some extra time to get anywhere. Go early for the muster, and just take the elevator to the deck where your station is. The people in charge of your muster station will probably let you leave first, so you can catch an elevator..........if not, just relax for a while, because the elevators are always jammed just after muster, just after dinner, and just after shows. Relax, take a book with you, and have fun people watching.

Archived