Drive or Taxi in Belize?

Footsieiii

:eek: My wife is not able to walk very well so since we will have to take a tender into Belize where we will not be able to take her scooter. So I was thinking of doing an excursion of our own. I want to see the beach and the countryside of Belize and maybe hit a tourist spot or two.

I was planing to get a rental car but my wife has read that it may be too dangerous to go out on our own so she suggested hiring a taxi. To be honest I freak out when other people drive plus I think a taxi may be too expensive to do what I am thinking of doing. For example I may want to stop at a beach and swim for an hour and then go to a mayan ruin.

So I need some input from you professional cruisers on the pros and cons of getting a car or renting a taxi?

200612020400_1.gif

I frankly would not rent a car or a taxi. There should be at least several of the ship sponsered excursions that would be able to make appropriate accomdations for your wife's limited mobility. I would look up the list of excursions offered and then call the cruise company to discuss it with them.

Second choice would be to contact several of the major private excursion companies and see what they can offer you. Likely a city tour with something else added in such as a stop at the wildlife sactuary. Just make sure there is a wheel chair availablity.

I don't believe there are any beaches available that would not involve either a lengthy drive or use of a ferry or boat to get to.

There are some shady areas in Belize so unless you are familiar with the area and where not to wonder into, don't rent a car. Go with a professional tour unless you want to try to catch a ferry to a beach.

Since I just returned from our cruise which stopped in Belize - I would second the above post.

First: You tender into Belize City which is on the mainland. There are no beaches on the mainland. It is all rocky shore. You must take a ferry out to one of the outer cays (pronounced keys) for beach time

Second: Belize City is well, lets just say I would not roam around there and my dh and I are the type to strike out on our own just about anywhere. But not Belize. It is truly not safe in my opinion (and most others)

Third: Unless you know where you are going and how to get to a ruin (once you have picked one) you would be hard pressed to find a map or get directions from the locals for that matter. I would imagine that not many of them know where the ruins are....

Fourth: I don't think I would hire a local taxi for the purpose of a trip to the ruins either....especially with your wife's limited mobility and the safety issue. There are many government issued notices and warnings about Belize..... do a web search. Try " Belize Crime "

If, and I would check the physical requirements of all excursions, you find one that will accomodate your wifes limitations...... then I would go with a ship sponsored one....

Let me suggest you email Gilbert Young (everyone calls him Gilly)

gillytours@yahoo.com

Gilly can arrange for you and your wife to go where ever you would like with the comfort of knowing you will be safe. Gilly is one of the licensed tour operators allowed inside the fence.

Gilly has a "kiosk" (Belize for folding table) in front of a restaurant called the Wet Lizard inside the fence. (to the right as you get off the tender)

He is an older gentleman with a great love of his country and sharing the treasures it holds. Belize is the only Central America country that speaks English, so lanuage won't be a problem.

When you email him, let him know your wife's limitations and Gilly can suggest a package that will give you the most touring for the least amount of walking.

Have a great cruise!

Have a great cruise!!

Thank you all for your replies. Based on what was said we decided to just take an excursion to the beach, I called Carnival again and they could not garuntee that they would take the scotter on the tender due to the size. It is a big scooter. So I will be sailing soon feeling very confident that I made the right chice thank to you all.

200612020400_1.gif

*********************************************all_inclusive_resorts/sunscape_resorts.html]Sunscape Resorts[/url]

Archived