Voyager Class Ships?

Sorry this is going to be a long one. I need help from all you regular cruisers out there. We are brand new to this cruise business. My husband and I have only cruised once before on RCCL on the Monarch of the seas - 10 March 2003 (5 day). As that was our first cruise, we didn't have anything to compare it with, but we really loved it and are hooked for life - just like everybody else on these boards. We have to travel real far though to get to the Caribbean and we can only do this every 2 or 3 years so we want it to be perfect.

We are planning our next cruise for 5 Feb 2005 and I urgently need to know which is better - Eastern or Western Caribbean in Feb - weather wise. We are two couples from sunny Cape Town in South Africa and we have to travel something like 20 hours just to get to Atlanta - We want to do a 7 day and we need to know which route is better for that time of the year. I got a quote from Galaxsea cruises on the Voyager (Eastern route) in cabins 8607 (Prominade View) and Balcony 8330. I read somewhere that these cabins just behind the "Bump" are not very private - does anybody know for sure what we can expect - 8330 is the first one aft of the bump. Any info on the Promenade rooms - noisy? I have also read someone saying that the weather can be quite cold and wet in the Eastern Caribbean at that time of the year. Any other tips will be appreciated. What do you recommend - Bigger Ship or Smaller Ship ??? Thanks a lot

Cruzin4Life

Welcome Cruzin4Life; feel free to ask any questions. Coming all the way from Cape Town, I can understand why you want your vacation to be the best experience ever. I'm now partial to the larger Voyager Class ships. Once you sail in Feb. you'll understand why. I can't speak on the Eastern ports-still hooked on the Western.

I've flown to the Jamaica in Feb. and it was in the mid 80's all week; flew also to Puerto Vallarta, MX same temp. I've been told the Eastern route is chillier that time of year. On our Dec. honeymoon (western) cruise the weather was HOT to say the least.

You should not have a noise problem w/ the 8th deck promenade (PR) cabin. If you plan on viewing the parades from your cabin, you may want to get a PR cabin near the middle if possible. This cabin is the 3rd from the end. I've had a promenade room before on the 6th deck and noise wasn't a problem. We've booked 3PR's again on the 6th deck and 1 balcony for the birthday girl for our upcoming cruise. I'm not familiar with your balcony cabin; hopefully someone else can help.

Anymore questions, just ask.:) BTW, it takes me 4 hours to get to Atlanta by car; I'll never complain again.:p Wow, 20 hours.:eek:

http://oasis.fortunecity.com/tropicana/431/Voyagertour17.html

This shows the PR cabin windows for decks 6-7 overlooking the Promenade. http://perso.club-internet.fr/guillaumin_mj/onboard/onboard.html

Atrium cabin http://www.cruiseweb.com/RCIVOYAGER-ROOM-ATRIUMCABIN.JPG

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yip it is a long way to travel from Cape Town (not to mention the time change and the jet-lag), but we don't have a lot of cruising here in our country - nothing that compares to yours anyway. We have a short Cape Town to Durban (2 days) and maybe on to some Indian ocean islands, like Mauritius or the Seychelles, but the seas can be rather on the rough side around the Southern coast of South Africa, not called "The Cape of Storms" for nothing. Not very pleasant, I believe. We havn't done it ourselves (yet) and I doubt if we ever will - not after we have been to the Caribbean anyway. :)

I will do some more homework and maybe change to a Western Cruise to be on the safe side. Anybody else with more info on the weather (and the ports) in the Eastern Caribbean in February - I will appreciate it - need to let the agent know by Thursday about the Voyager booking.

Well, it is almost bedtime here already and my two Beagles are bugging me for attention (sounds like you are a Bichon fan ??).

Cruzin4Life

No problem. Hope it helps and good luck with your decision. You may want to post a separate thread regarding the weather in the eastern car. You'll probably get more answers that way.

Yeah, I love my little bichon "Chloe the Diva". She's spoiled rotten. My neighbor has a little beagle named Penelope. She's a cute, busy little "thief".:p When she sneaks out of the yard, she's always on a scavenger hunt. Whenever something's missing; all the neighbors just look for her.:rolleyes: Gotta love her.

Thks I will try and post a new thread - I am kinda new to this. Thks 39August for your info as well.

Michele, my one Beagle is also called Chloe, the other one is Megan - also spoiled rotten and I have just caught the two of them in the pantry stealing some chew sticks... say no more! :)

Cruzin4Life (Charmaine)

Charmaine, I know this is totally off topic, but my mom has been a Host Mother for the past 12yrs for children in the African Children's Choir whenever they visit my hometown and perform at our church. Have you heard of them? They are so talented. Our last 2 kids were from the Sudan and Kenya. My husband and I may become Host Parents this year; when I lived w/ my mom it was always hard saying bye even though they only stayed with us for a week each time.:( Oh well, we'll see.

So, your beagles are theives too? That's too funny...it must be the breed.:p

Cruzin4Life- I don't know if this will help you any, but I always thought having a cabin over looking the Promenade would be awesome! You can pretty much assume it will be noisy sometimes, but I'll bet its a choice spot to overlook the parades in the Promenade. Also, I was at the East and Western Caribbean, but both times in July, and it is HOT HOT HOT! But February is another story, so I have no idea. Maybe it would be in the 70's or so, but either itinerary is terrific. Have a great cruise though, wherever you go!!!

Lauren

Michelle, I have heard of the Children's Choir, but have never heard them perform.

I don't want to upset someone here because we are discussing "off the topic" issues, but you can e-mail me on charmaine@fpt.co.za(work) or charmaine@abss.co.za (home). Hope you come back here to get this. Yip my Beagles are real food thieves.

I had a look at your links and the photos are great - thanks very much.

Cruisingrl17, thks as well - appreciate any info I can get.

Cruzin4Life

Archived