2 cabins vs. junior suite

massfamilyof4

We have booked a balcony cabin and a promenade room for our RCCL cruise in February. My 2 sons, age 6 and 13 will be in the promenade room across the hall from my husband and I. For the same amount of $$, we could all be in a suite...one large room.

Would you go for the junior suite or stay with the 2 rooms?

Your input is appreciated!

I think it depends upon your kids.

The benefits I see to two rooms are two bathrooms and double (well maybe a little less than double) storage space.

The cons are that 6 seems young to me to "sleep away" from mom and dad for seven nights. But I don't know your kids. Will the little one be scared? Will he be content to sleep alone (if he goes to bed before his brother) or is he the mischievious type who will flood the bathroom?

Also, junior suites are not huge; you WILL be bumping into one another getting ready for formal night.

We have sailed twice before with our 3 children in a cabin across the hall and it has worked out fabulously. They were 8,9,10 and are now 10,11,12. The eldest is a boy and the other two are girls. We are leaving for an 11 day on the Zenith on 12/18 and while I would prefer an adjoining cabin -- we saved quite a bit by going the "outside/inside" route instead of paying for 2 OV Cabins.

One thing we did do -- which also worked out extremely well, we purchased the "high-end walkie/talkies with a base unit (which we kept in the cabin) and 4 handheld phone transmitters (kind of like a cell phone with a belt clip). It is imporatant to pay the few extra $$ for a "long range set" (usually $5-10 more) that will work just about anywhere on the ship. We all stayed in close contact througout the entire cruise -- when they were in the Kid Programs as well as if one or more went back to the cabin or hooked up with a friend.

The age thing might be the only issue I would be concerned about. As the other poster noted -- that is totally dependent upon the individual child. I would never opt for the suite route over having the double cabin -- Dollar for Dollar you receive so much more with the two cabins (especially the bathroom time).

Good Luck!

LauraB

Sorry Double Post --

Good Job -- Definitely worth the extra $340. BTW, -- A decent walkie talkie set - including the additonal hand held will run you about $80-$90 but well worth the investment -- we use them at while not a sea too -- amusement parks and even when they are out playing in our neighborhood.

Have a great trip!

Good Luck!

LauraB

I think you made the right choice--we always go for two adjoining cabins over the comparably priced JS. So unless the cruise line is offering a sweetheart deal on a suite, you will enjoy the extra space, extra bathroom and privacy!

My family is travelling on NCL in March and I too have 2 kids - 7 & 13. We have booked adjoining balcony cabins so that we have the extra space yet we are connected with the kids. I would be very nervous having my kids in a separate room from us.....I think the kids would be nervous aw well.

I think you are safer going with the connecting rooms.

Have a great time!

Archived