Volendam's Pinnacle Grill -- Ernest Hemmingway

Krazy Kruizers

On the doors of the Volendam's Pinnacle this quote from Ernest Hemmingway's "The Old and The Sea" is etched in the glass:

"He always thought of the sea as "la mar" which is what people call her in Spanish when they love her. Sometimes those who love her say bad things of her, but they are always thought of her as ___________ and as something that gave her withhled, geat __________ and if she did wild and wicked things it was because she could not jelp them. The mood affected her as it does a woman... the thought..."

I couldn't figure out the 2 words that I noted in red. Maybe someone knows them.

".....Sometimes those who love her say bad things of her, but they are always said as though she were a woman...."

"....But the old man always thought of her as feminine, and as something that gave or withheld great favors, and if she did wild or wicked things, it was because she could not help them..."

Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

KK, you're very welcome. :) Perhaps the doors were opening and closing while you tried to write the quotation down? (just joking;) )

I think it's a lovely idea to use nautical-themed quotes as decorative motifs on a ship. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Karin

Archived