Asia Excursion

FolliesGal

Hi! My first time writing this 'thread' thing...I am cruising in January -Hong Kong to Singapore. First time on Oceania..normally a Crystal Gal. Any suggestions for the shore excursions? Also, any recommendations for a good tailor for Men's & Women's fine clothing in Hong Kong?

FolliesGal,

First of all welcome to the Boards. You will learn a lot from C.C. and it will help make your cruising so much more enjoyable.

We have been to both Hong Kong and Singapore more times than I can count so hope this is of help to you.

I am not sure how long you will have in Hong Kong but if you have time, take the bus to Stanley Market. It is a great way to see Hong Kong Island as well as an enjoyable time at the markets.

Also go up to the Peak if it is a fine day. If it is overcast, it will be a waste of time. Take a ride on the ferry from Kowloon to Central (Hong Kong Island). It is the cheapest ferry ride in the world and a lot of fun. Also walk around Central and see the fish and meat markets there.

If a trip to Macau is offered as an excursion I would take that. It is an interesting trip and well worth doing.

In Singapore there is quite a lot to see in a day for a first timer. You can visit the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, Sentosa Island, the shops etc. and of course afternoon tea at Raffles Hotel. You cannot go wrong with any of these.

Be prepared for very hot humid weather in Singapore. The weather is always the same and if you are not used to it, it can zap your strength.

Singapore is the safest and cleanest city of all. It is an easy city to get around and the underground (MTC) is fantastic.

Jennie

"If a trip to Macau is offered as an excursion I would take that. It is an interesting trip and well worth doing."

No need to take an excuirsion. Last March we took a taxi to the ferry terminal and made the 1 hour trip to Macau. I had been there 10 years earlier, and could not believe how it has changed. It's becoming the Las Vegas of Asia with huge casinjos with very familiar names. There is ferry service from both HK and Kowloon.

I would change the money on the ship. For the small amount that you will need and all the different currencies as each country has their own currency, the exchange rate should not be too prohibitive. Usually the ship's exchange rate is much lower than the Banks but in most countries ie. Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia credit cards are accepted in all big stores. You will need the cash for the markets and in Vietnam if you are going there as I don't think C.C. are used very much in that country.

Jennie

Archived