Afternoon Tea on Zenith

Jeanne S

So I am hearing, will have to go to the Fairmont on the Hamilton Port days.

Well I think you should do both. Try the tea on the ship the sea day before you get to Bermuda and see what you think of it. Just remember that Celebrity is a U.S. company and Cunard...oh wait...thats a U.S. company too now...nevermind.

The only time I've had High Tea was at the Chateau Lake Louise, overlooking the glacier. It was an experience...although laden with sugar and calories!!

This Friday, I am going for High Tea at the Ritz...with the ladies...in the garden (hopefully the weather will allow). Definitely, I will skip dinner! It's the only way I can get to the Ritz Garden, which I adore, because my DH doesn't like it at all!!!!

The Ritz in Montreal. I will let you know after I go whether it is High or Afternoon Tea. A few years ago a journalist did a write-up on High Teas and criticized the Ritz for not having REAL clotted cream. They may also have jams in mini jars (OMG!!!).

Personally, I prefer Low Tea (My own label) for tea with something sweet. Period. The tea sandwiches are usually nothing to write home about and the crumpets are nice...but petit four,etc.afterwards is a bit much even for me who loves sweets.

I am going in order to be with friends and for the ambiance.

I can't remember if it was called High Tea or Formal Tea, but it was different than the afternoon tea served in the Buffet.

They have the formal tea in the dinning room on the same days as formal dinners occur. If you have two formal nights, you will have two formal tea's. There is a dress code where a jacket is required for men and I have heard of men being asked to leave for not wearing one. It was half "buffet" and half white glove service. You could help yourself to a number of goodies on a beautiful setup and then more would be brought around to you. I wish I could remember how the tea was served for the European Tea Snobs, but as an Asian Tea Snob I was simply aware that these were not the sorts of tea etc... that I normally have. Sorry. We only did it one of our two sea days but it was fun enough.

Taking tea on the Horizon to Bermuda was a lovely experience. I remember a gentleman being turned away for he was not wearing a sportcoat. The woman at the welcome desk suggested that while we were in Hamilton we go to the Waterloo House for tea. When you get off the ship, go to the left, walk about 5 minutes or so, and this little hotel is on the water. I believe it was about 12 dollars, for tea, cookies, scones, finger sandwiches, and clotted cream. We took our tea service outside, by the garden on the water, and watched the sailboats go by. There is a covered portico also where you can sit, and just going through the little inn and enjoying the decor was wonderful! Would love to stay there one day. In two weeks we are hoping to go to the Hamilton Princess for tea, a big dream of ours. Oh, yes, this is funny. We got all dolled up for tea on Carnival, and when we arrived people were in bathing suits with cover ups, shorts, tee shirts, etc. The service was nice, and the tea sandwiches and cookies were good too. Enjoy!

Here is some information on the Hamilton Princess Tea. Hope it helps! I spoke with the dining room manager this morning to make reservations, and the price is $29.00. I was told that at this time of year reservations are requested. So, if you go, enjoy! lweeza

Afternoon Tea - Heritage Court

'Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one.' Ancient Chinese Proverb

Dating back to the late 1700's, the custom of Afternoon Tea is recognized throughout the world as being traditionally British. It was further popularized by Queen Victoria during her reign, and by the middle of the 19th Century the custom of 'taking tea' in the afternoon had become well established, along with a rather complex set of rules and etiquette. One of her daughters, Princess Louise, is the namesake for The Fairmont Hamilton Princess following her visit to Bermuda in 1883.

'Everything we feature - the breads, scones, pastries and sorbet - in our Afternoon Tea is homemade in our pastry shop by our Pastry Chef, Serge Leibowitch,' explains Peter Finnegan, Food & Beverage Director at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess. 'We are able to create wonderful specialty items that are a one of a kind in Bermuda. For example, we bake a Sesame Seaweed Bread to complement the Lobster Salad and the Rum Cured Salmon is married with a Ginger Bread.'

The Fairmont Hamilton Princess offers 14 teas; a variety of loose leaf black teas, green, herbal and fruit teas. John Harney, Master Tea Blender, has also created a private Princess Bermuda Blend Tea that is served at the hotel and available for purchase.

The 'proper' way of 'taking tea' is to select from the assorted finger sandwiches. Scones with jam and Devonshire clotted cream are next, followed by a sweet selection of pastries. Afternoon tea ends with a sorbet - an item unique to The Fairmont Hamilton Princess' tea.

Our Afternoon Tea was recently voted Top 10 Best Afternoon Teas in the World by the Gostelow Report and Best Afternoon Tea in the Best of Bermuda Awards.

Hours of Operation:

Offered daily from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Dress Code:

Smart casual dress is suggested.

Reservations:

Reservations are not required.

So...they had a few choices. The basic one was called English (or afternoon...or English afternoon). I forget. But it definitely was not called High Tea. We had the Royal tea which included a glass of Kir. We sat in the garden (under cover because it was raining). The big draw is the ducks which even went under cover (smart ducks!) At the Ritz, the duck house has heat lamps...I couldn't believe it...lucky ducks!

There were quite a few people there, which surprised me. I thought we'd be alone in the rain! The food was O.K. as usual. You don't go there for the food, that's for sure! Everything was very tiny, so I hope I didn't gain any weight!

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on the Horizon August of 2004. Six of us took tea on August 31, 2004 at this lovely hotel. We were greeted by Patricia, the concierge. It was almost 100 degrees outside, so we took a minivan taxi to the hotel. It was $6.00 plus a tip. Well worth the price. The tea consisted of a choice of two types of tea service. We each had our own three tiered service, complete with 2 scones(huge), tea sandwiches and little pastry desserts.There was a pot of jam and a pot of ginger lime marmalade, along with clotted cream. We each had our own pot of tea, out of a choice of 16 or so varieties, and the afternoon ended with fresh mango sorbet. There were 3 fellows that looked as if they were the footmen in the movie Cinderella serving us, and they were very attentive to our needs. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone who loves to have tea in the afternoon.

We also went to tea on board the ship, the one in the dining room. It was quite lovely also. Every day there was a tea buffet in the Coral Seas room also, but not formal. Enjoy!

Being half-Irish, I am an admitted tea "snob". Is the tea made properly -- i.e., boiling water in a pot with tea bags or loose tea? Or do they simply give you a tea bag and a cup of hot water?

On the Galaxy in late 2002, they had you select your tea bag and then just poured water into the cup! I wasn't expecting the Celebrity "formal" tea to be the same as the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons, but this really caught me off guard. Also, and this is where I'm a tea snob, the tea selection was from Sir Lipton.

I guess I might have missed this, but is there clotted cream on the ship? We are springing for ZS and apparently I've got this butler and I'm not too sure what to do with him.....butttt, if he can bring me clotted cream and scones a few times during the trip I'll be very very happy

Archived